Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 05:36 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
The first week we moved in, we had at least one unwanted "solicitor" knock on the door every day. We bought a "no soliciting" sign and haven't had a single one since. Coincidence? I think not. The other day I saw 2 groups of Jehovah's Witnesses working our street, and they passed by our house when they saw the sign, so I know it is working with legit groups, just hope it is giving would-be thieves pause, too.
I have an idea to deal with any and all strangers who come a-knocking. Have a digital camera or cell at the ready when somebody knocks at the door. Take a picture of them through the window. Bring your photo collection to the police, and they'll probably be able to tell you which visitors are troublemakers and which aren't. Word would also get around to criminal gangs that they're being photographed and the police alerted. If everybody did this I think it would be very effective at scaring them off.

My idea may seem a bit too aggressive in a NY way, but I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Well, if you rent a house, hopefully you will get a garage with a closing/locking door. But lots of people, even in single family neighborhoods (again I am talking central ABQ) either don't have a garage, or they have one they use for storage, or they only have an open carport or maybe a parking apron. So their car is in the driveway, or on the street, and thus it is more available to thieves than cars kept in closed garages, or at least I hope so. Car theft is big business in ABQ.

I chatted with an ABQ policeman the other day, and he said that a new trend they are seeing is the thief breaks into a house for the principal purpose to steal your car, and even if you have it in a garage, they can get it out easily using your opener. So they recommend you don't leave the remote control in your car, but what a pain in the neck that would be. Also, they say at night don't leave your car keys, etc., in the kitchen or near where you leave the house - keep those with you in your bedroom at night, along with your wallet or purse, and your garage door opener. Lots of trouble, but it is your best line of defense.

So my warning stands: any house you go into, check the water quality yourself, and ask questions. You can still get screwed, but at least you are better armed than I was when I rented this house. Flush the toilet, and if the water in the bowl isn't crystal clear, you know there is an issue, and if you see rust stains, you are doubly warned.
What do you mean by "central ABQ"? I don't know anyone who uses that term.

I think your precautions are a bit extreme, and again I have never heard of anyone going to such great lengths to prevent their car from being stolen. I agree, though, that parking in a garage is preferable to parking in the street. Also, I know that burglaries tend to happen more frequently if you park in your driveway or on the street, vs. your garage. It becomes easy for people to tell when you're not home if your car is gone when you always park it outside.

FWIW, I find ABQ much better when it comes to burglaries and vandalism than my previous location in Boston. In less than four years there I had a car vandalized, another car stolen and vandalized, was assaulted at night in the street, and my apt. was burglarized twice. In 24 years in ABQ I was burglarized once (I had left my door unlocked) and had two bicycles stolen, and a cheap plastic birdbath stolen from the front yard. I have had outdoor parking here and now have a garage but never had my car stolen or vandalized (except once someone keyed my car at the Sandia Peak Ski Area). Not so bad for the length of time. I have lived in the Nob Hill and SE areas of town. So it all depends on what you're used to.

Also, I live in an older (1950's) house with old plumbing, and if you don't use a line for a while the water will come out rusty. That's the way it has always been every place I've ever lived in five states. So I wouldn't be shocked to find rusty water coming out of a tap in a house for sale/rent where it may not have been used in a while. Just let it run for a minute and it will come out clear.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:18 PM

688 posts, read 1,101,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
What do you mean by "central ABQ"? I don't know anyone who uses that term.

I think your precautions are a bit extreme, and again I have never heard of anyone going to such great lengths to prevent their car from being stolen. I agree, though, that parking in a garage is preferable to parking in the street. Also, I know that burglaries tend to happen more frequently if you park in your driveway or on the street, vs. your garage. It becomes easy for people to tell when you're not home if your car is gone when you always park it outside.

FWIW, I find ABQ much better when it comes to burglaries and vandalism than my previous location in Boston. In less than four years there I had a car vandalized, another car stolen and vandalized, was assaulted at night in the street, and my apt. was burglarized twice. In 24 years in ABQ I was burglarized once (I had left my door unlocked) and had two bicycles stolen, and a cheap plastic birdbath stolen from the front yard. Not so bad for the length of time. I have lived in the Nob Hill and SE areas of town. So it all depends on what you're used to.

Also, I live in an older (1950's) house with old plumbing, and if you don't use a line for a while the water will come out rusty. That's the way it has always been every place I've ever lived in five states. So I wouldn't be shocked to find rusty water coming out of a tap in a house for sale/rent where it may not have been used in a while. Just let it run for a minute and it will come out clear.
Great lengths? All I am saying is that your car is safer parked in a garage than otherwise in the street or even on your driveway.

Central Albuquerque bothers you? I have otherwise on this thread identified where I live, mentioned UNM/Nob Hill, even drawing a box around my neighborhood and defining its boundaries by major streets. If you are still confused after looking at those posts, and you still feel "central ABQ" is a misnomer, provide a better one. People around here can't even agree on what "northeast heights" means based on one of the CD threads, so I am not surprised there is little consensus on area names.

The water issues I have had have nothing to do with a little rust in the line, or a line that hasn't been recently used; I have been in the house since June 1 and nothing has helped. Nothing clears out the crud I am getting, including water authority flushing of the line. And I have lived in 7 different cities in 5 states in my lifetime and have never once encountered rusty water or any kind of dirty water, nothing like what i am experiencing here, so suffice to say my experience has been different than yours.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM

5,029 posts, read 7,409,636 times
Quote:
Great lengths? All I am saying is that your car is safer parked in a garage than otherwise in the street or even on your driveway.

Central Albuquerque bothers you? I have otherwise on this thread identified where I live, mentioned UNM/Nob Hill, even drawing a box around my neighborhood and defining its boundaries by major streets. If you are still confused after looking at those posts, and you still feel "central ABQ" is a misnomer, provide a better one. People around here can't even agree on what "northeast heights" means based on one of the CD threads, so I am not surprised there is little consensus on area names.

The water issues I have had have nothing to do with a little rust in the line, or a line that hasn't been recently used; I have been in the house since June 1 and nothing has helped. Nothing clears out the crud I am getting, including water authority flushing of the line. And I have lived in 7 different cities in 5 states in my lifetime and have never once encountered rusty water or any kind of dirty water, nothing like what i am experiencing here, so suffice to say my experience has been different than yours.
No need to get defensive. You were talking about keeping your wallet, keys, and garage door opener in your bedroom at night, not just where to park your car. That to me would be going to "great lengths" but yes I have a friend who didn't use common sense and used to keep his house keys by the front door visible through a small window, and that was an invitation. The window was smashed and the keys snatched.

No, "Central ABQ" doesn't "bother" me, and I know where you said you live, but I don't know how big an area you're including when you say "central ABQ" and how people would interpret that who don't live here. I always have to ask people what they mean when they use a term like this because it will mean different things depending on where you live and how long you've lived here. With the rapid growth over the years, people's ideas change with regard to what is "central", "heights", even "downtown." I have heard people in the heights refer to Nob Hill as "downtown" which strikes me as funny. The first map I had when I moved here cut off at Montgomery Blvd. on the north, and I would have thought of "central ABQ" as being the downtown area, so I find it interesting that people would think of the Near Northeast Heights as being "central". Heck, I think they calculated the actual geographical center of town not long ago and it was somewhere in the North Valley.

With regards to the water, you were advising people to run far away from a house if the water came out discolored, but that is what I would probably expect in an unoccupied house. I'm sorry that this is an ongoing problem for you, but I don't believe that is a common problem. I don't think that is at all typical of houses in ABQ, central or otherwise. Are your neighbors having the same problem?

Old 07-17-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
No need to get defensive. You were talking about keeping your wallet, keys, and garage door opener in your bedroom at night, not just where to park your car. That to me would be going to "great lengths" but yes I have a friend who didn't use common sense and used to keep his house keys by the front door visible through a small window, and that was an invitation. The window was smashed and the keys snatched.
Umm, I didn't pull that idea out of my backside - I mentioned that an ABQ cop (who was investigating one of the break-ins on my street) advised me to keep the garage door opener in the house, along with keys, etc., in the bedroom or near me at night. So if you think that is bad advice, or going to too great a length, then tell it to the local cops who see this stuff every day.

FWIW, I have not taken his advice about removing the garage door opener from the car; the car is kept in the locked garage at all times, and to have to keep track of the opener would be a pain. As for wallet and keys, I know far too many people who have been victims of "smash and grab" break-ins where they left their wallet, purse, etc., at the front door, sometimes visible through a kitchen or living room window. I know someone this happened to in the 1980s, and I have safeguarded those things ever since. If that is too much trouble for you, so be it. It is an ingrained habit for me, so no trouble whatsoever.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:20 PM

Jeez, it's getting a bit heated in here. And you guys called me edgy.

Here's an official car theft chart, if anyone cares. ABQ seems to fall in the high middle. This is higher than where I come from, but not horrible.

Car Thefts Across the Country - Bloomberg

Old 07-17-2014, 04:31 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
Quote:
With regards to the water, you were advising people to run far away from a house if the water came out discolored, but that is what I would probably expect in an unoccupied house. I'm sorry that this is an ongoing problem for you, but I don't believe that is a common problem. I don't think that is at all typical of houses in ABQ, central or otherwise. Are your neighbors having the same problem?
Our company has remodeled countless numbers of homes over the years. You are correct. Homes sitting without use can have some discoloration. But, a home that does that over several days or months is a aberration. That just doesn't happen often.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:

The water issues I have had have nothing to do with a little rust in the line, or a line that hasn't been recently used; I have been in the house since June 1 and nothing has helped. Nothing clears out the crud I am getting, including water authority flushing of the line.
Does the water come out like this from every tap in the house, or is it localized?

Old 07-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Jeez, it's getting a bit heated in here. And you guys called me edgy.

Here's an official car theft chart, if anyone cares. ABQ seems to fall in the high middle. This is higher than where I come from, but not horrible.

Car Thefts Across the Country - Bloomberg
You are misinterpreting the graphic - this purports to show cities that have an improving or worsening rate of auto theft from 2012 to 2013. Because ABQ is denoted by a "large" circle, it has a higher rate of theft to begin with than all the smaller circles; the pink to red colors indicate the rate is rising - the blue colors indicate decreasing.

If you dig through NICB auto theft stats, you will find the following:

In 2011 Albuquerque made the 10 worst metro areas for auto theft, one of the nation's "hot spots."

In 2012, it "escaped" the list but I could not find the actual rank; credit for the improvement was given to the "bait car" program.

In 2013 Albuquerque ranked 20 (worst). And per the color chart you linked to, ABQ is on the wrong side of the color scale...whatever improvement occurred in 2012 has evidently reversed.

Your conclusion that ABQ is only "high middle" for auto theft is incorrect.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Does the water come out like this from every tap in the house, or is it localized?
Every tap, hot or cold.

It ranges from light yellow to dark yellow to sometimes orangy-brown (thankfully rare). Neighbors on the street tell me it has been like this for almost a year. The owner of the house has had all pipes in the house and the line from the meter to the house replaced in the last 6 months to combat the problem, but the problem is clearly coming from the city, not from the pipes on the property.

So is this normal? I certainly hope not. But if I were looking at a home to rent or buy around here, I would be very suspicious if I turned on the tap and saw this kind of water. My experience is MY experience, and this was a thread (originally) about someone moving to the area asking for advice on rentals. All I have written on this thread is about my experience and my advice. I have never before encountered water quality issues like this, and I have lived in quite a few houses (and apartments) around the country.

One additional point: any lease you sign should require the owner/landlord to disclose any known defects or hazards in the property - their failure to disclose will at least provide you with the proper legal grounds to break the lease. But if you go this route, be sure you understand your rights and obligations to the lease you signed under NM law - you can't just withhold rent, for instance, because something needs repair. You have to document the problem, in writing, and have a solid paper trail showing your complaints and the failure of the landlord/owner to disclose and/or rectify the problem.

Last edited by Westbound and Down; 07-17-2014 at 06:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque