Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2007, 05:16 PM

21 posts, read 191,533 times

Advertisements

This is my first winter in ABQ and its snowing. We live up in the Heights and the little bit of snow we got started to tease us with the idea of sledding.

so today the Mr. and I went up the Sandia Mtn. just a bit past the ski slopes and found a small spot to park. the hills werent very good for sleddng, and there are TONS of trees and rocks.

Im not brave enough to try snowboarding or skiing. I thought I would keep it simple

Does anyone have any great places to go and sled?

we dont mind if we have to hike a little ways to get to it. the more sucluded the better

Take care Ya'll and Merry Christmas!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 11:36 AM

2 posts, read 64,624 times
Try the Capulin sledding area on the east side of Sandia, about 8-9 miles up the mountain. It's an area designed and maintained for sledding, with a small hill for young kids and a bigger hill for older kids and adults. We're going there today so we'll be able to post more clear directions. Here's info from a website I googled:

Located next to Capulin Spring Picnic Area on Sandia Crest Highway 1.5 miles beyond the Sandia Peak Ski Area. Only inner tubes and plastic devices are permitted in the sledding area (no metal or wood sleds). Call 281-3304 for hours and days of operation.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 64,624 times
Just got back from the Capulin Snow Play area. It's 8.6 miles after you turn off Highway 14. Though it didn't look like there was much snow on the mountain from 14, there was plenty. The parking area was not plowed well (if at all), so if you don't have 4WD, I recommend parking along the road, as many were doing today. A good time...

Old 12-28-2007, 07:17 PM

21 posts, read 191,533 times
thanks so much for the info!! we are gonna try to go out there on sunday, hopefully there is still enough snow on the mountain.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 32,133 times
Hey great post! I went online looking for a place around Albuquerque to take my kids sleding and found this. Just what I was looking for.
Thanks for the info...will be going this weekend.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 32,030 times
Default nice sledding

I measured 8.2 miles and signs are well posted. Parking lot today(1/12/08) was clean as it gets. 5 park rangers checking $3 parking tickets made me laugh. The "unsupervised" area got a ranger out there to take care of a jump that some rug rats had built. We took 11 bodies up early in the am a little after opening (hours are 9:30-4:00) and had a blast.

As far as the areas being snow covered or hard to traverse from an earlier post, you can always check the Sandia Ski area snow report here:

[URL="http://www.sandiapeak.com/index.php?page=snow-report"]Snow Report[/URL]

Also noticed on the way down, a lot of folks had not gone all the way up and were sliding down some of the other hills on the side of the road. They parked on the side of the road and their kids were wandering in the middle of the road. Not the safest, but surely and adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque