U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2006, 05:13 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,002,060 times
Not to nock Albuquerque, but if you have children who will be in public schools try rio rancho
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 10:47 PM

750 posts, read 1,858,273 times
Default Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
Depite of the comment stupac wrote about crime being down, I would like to believe that. But it concerns me when ABQ moved up two places from #17 to #15 as the most dangerous metro areas in the US. We are still doing more homework before we move to ABQ. We have been doing extensive research on ABQ, you'll be surprised.
As I have posted on this forum before, I am not a big fan of many of the crime statistics cited here on this forum, as I feel they too broadly brand an entire metropolitan area as the "best", "worst", "safest" or what have you. That is not to say that ABQ does not have its share of criminal activity. It does. But the vast majority of this crime occurs in some pretty specific areas, which I find to also be true in most cities of ABQ's size or larger.

As someone who has lived in ABQ for over 30 years, in multiple areas of the city, there are few places that I do not feel safe or feel comfortable taking my family. If someone is looking for a "Leave It To Beaver" type environment, then ABQ is not going to measure up. Otherwise, ABQ is plenty safe for the average family.

But I do also understand the difficulty in trying to size up an area from a distance. So I will offer what I consider a somewhat improved crime profile of ABQ:

http://www.cabq.gov/onlinesvcs/crimestats/index.html

With this site, you can get a little more detail (like crimes listed by neighborhood association), which can give you a better idea of the parts of town to avoid. Hope you find it helpful...

Chap

Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 AM

3,364 posts, read 5,341,259 times
Here's a tip:

In Albuquerque, all street addresses are followed by a directional indicator, ie NE, NW, etc. If you want to keep your commute time down, look for a place in the same quadrant as you work in, in this case, NE. Look up the address of the apartment complexes via Mapquest to determine the exact distance.

You'll be working just south of Paseo del Norte. The heaviest traffic runs west to east in the morning, east to west at night.

Rentclicks lists apartments that are sometimes "off the beaten track". )And single family homes, property managers, etc. If you like apartment living though, I'd plan on just finding a place when you get out here, maybe spending one or two nights in a hotel while you look.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:11 PM

175 posts, read 798,777 times
Default wow

I am so surprised at how many people move from other states to the Albq/Rio Rancho area.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:50 AM

751 posts, read 8,562 times
Default The truth about Albuquerque, NM

Lived in Albuquerque for a while, and I still have a love-hate relationship with the city and the state of New Mexico. Coming from Minnesota, moving to New Mexico was a cultural shock. I still love New Mexico, but I would never move back to this city. The problem with Albuquerque and New Mexico in general is that everything is chaotic, when it comes to government, services and infra-structure, they have Thirld World standards. I have never seen so much poverty in my life like I saw in New Mexico and that is one of the reasons why I decided to move back to Minnesota. When it comes to Albuquerque, I would stay away from anything SE, ironically the area by the University of New Mexico seems to be one of the most dangerous areas of the city.Find a place NE or Rio Rancho, but I would not live in the city. The wages in New Mexico are extremely low and it is the state with the highest incidence of children living in poverty. Public schools in Albuquerque are just a joke, good places for kids to learn about gang life and how to become a criminal. On the other hand, it is the most beautiful state I have ever lived in, and driving around New Mexico is just an amazing experience. In conclusion, New Mexico is a very beautiful state but when it comes to real life, I would stay away from it.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
The problem with Albuquerque and New Mexico in general is that everything is chaotic, when it comes to government, services and infra-structure, they have Thirld World standards. I have never seen so much poverty in my life like I saw in New Mexico and that is one of the reasons why I decided to move back to Minnesota. When it comes to Albuquerque, I would stay away from anything SE, ironically the area by the University of New Mexico seems to be one of the most dangerous areas of the city.Find a place NE or Rio Rancho, but I would not live in the city. The wages in New Mexico are extremely low and it is the state with the highest incidence of children living in poverty. Public schools in Albuquerque are just a joke, good places for kids to learn about gang life and how to become a criminal. On the other hand, it is the most beautiful state I have ever lived in, and driving around New Mexico is just an amazing experience. In conclusion, New Mexico is a very beautiful state but when it comes to real life, I would stay away from it.
You make quite a few inflammatory statements in your post. Some I chalk up as purely your opinion, which you are fully entitled to. But most strike me as either heavily exaggerated or factually incorrect. For example, NM does not have the "highest incidence of children living in poverty". While NM's standing is nothing to be proud of (3rd worst, tied with WV), that "honor" goes to Mississippi. Incidentally, NM has a lower actual number of children living in poverty than does Minnesota (124,000 vs 140,000, per aecf.org).

I am curious, however, at what specific government services or infrastructure you were dissappointed with. Not to claim that NM's are exemplary, merely typical in my experience.

Chap

Last edited by Chaparral; 11-09-2006 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-09-2006, 06:56 PM

751 posts, read 8,562 times
Chaparral: Well, you have to understand that Minnesota has 5 million ppl in it, New Mexico has under 2 million, so obviously, there will be more children living in poverty here than in NM, but proportionally, Minnesota has one of the lowest poverty rates in the nation, New Mexico, one of the highest. When it comes to lack of infrastructure, I can give you the example of the U of New Mexico, being the largest post secondary institution in the state, it is so underfunded! The main library at the U of New Mexico is actually smaller and less equipped than most of the community colleges here in Minnesota. Another issue, transportation, the buses that the city of Albuquerque had running while I lived there, the blue and red ones? Those buses were bought from Los Angeles, those were basically the buses that L.A did not want anymore, it is funny that some of those buses had still signs of gang grafitti on the inside. The bus pass in Albuquerque was a little piece of paper almost like something printed on a paper cheaper than toilet paper, here in Minneapolis, the bus passes are actual magnetic cards. Anyways, I dont think comparing Minneapolis to Albuquerque is fair, in a way it is like comparing apples to bananas, but I still think that New Mexico generally speaking is extremely underfunded.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:28 PM

181 posts, read 451,621 times
Default Ye Have Been Warned....

Beware of the Land Of Entrapment!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 AM

3,058 posts, read 7,769,061 times
Default Funding

Quote:
When it comes to lack of infrastructure, I can give you the example of the U of New Mexico, being the largest post secondary institution in the state, it is so underfunded! The main library at the U of New Mexico is actually smaller and less equipped than most of the community colleges here in Minnesota. Another issue, transportation, the buses that the city of Albuquerque had running while I lived there, the blue and red ones? Those buses were bought from Los Angeles, those were basically the buses that L.A did not want anymore, it is funny that some of those buses had still signs of gang grafitti on the inside. The bus pass in Albuquerque was a little piece of paper almost like something printed on a paper cheaper than toilet paper, here in Minneapolis, the bus passes are actual magnetic cards. Anyways, I dont think comparing Minneapolis to Albuquerque is fair, in a way it is like comparing apples to bananas, but I still think that New Mexico generally speaking is extremely underfunded.
On the issue of funding or being "underfunded"...

Three-plus years ago, I moved to Albuquerque from Milwaukee, Wisconsin...Wisconsin is somewhat comparable to Minnesota in terms of "funding" for services such as colleges, libraries, public transportation, etc. Beyond that, in my years in the Midwest, I spent much time in Minnesota.

First off, it is true - I would say that many of the services you cite here in New Mexico are "underfunded" if your standard of comparison is Midwestern states such as Minnesota (or Wisconsin). Libraries are - as a general rule - kept in better order in almost all facets in the Midwest than here. Similarly, yes, colleges/universitites certainly as a general rule have a much higher funding base in MN/WI, etc., than here in NM.

However, at the end of the day, I couldn't disagree with your basic premise more. I don't believe New Mexican resources are "under"-funded. I believe that resources in Minnesota (or WI) or "over"-funded.

It is all a tradeoff, and it is whatever tradeoff you personally desire. Anything that is "funded" comes from the pocketbooks and wallets of its working class citizens. So folks that are earning any level of income are the ones paying for buses, schools, libraries, etc. Personally, I would far prefer to have slightly inferior college libraries and have more money in my pocket to try to get myself and my family ahead in the world than have glorious college libraries and struggling a bit more to pay my bills and taxes.

While funding is certainly less in New Mexico than in the Midwest, so are taxes (and, correspondingly, the cost of living). It is absolutely mind boggling to see how much higher property taxes are in Minnesota (or Wisconsin) than they are here in New Mexico...and while that may mean having a slightly less favorable transit system or a less favorable library...it is invaluable to folks in the middle class or lower-middle class struggling to own a home and support a family. My personal example...I owned a home in WI and now in NM, and even though my house is bigger here and somewhat more expensive than the one I owned in WI (with slightly higher interest rates now versus then), my monthly mortgage payment is lower...due to all taxes. And frankly, that is vitally important.

So I will not dispute that indeed, funding for public resources is higher by far as a general rule in places like Minnesota or Wisconsin. However, at the end of the day, I would personally rather hang on to the money I struggle to make and try to make ends meet, than giving proportionally more of it back to the government - largely to squander.

Old 11-11-2006, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Chaparral: Well, you have to understand that Minnesota has 5 million ppl in it, New Mexico has under 2 million, so obviously, there will be more children living in poverty here than in NM, but proportionally, Minnesota has one of the lowest poverty rates in the nation, New Mexico, one of the highest. ...Anyways, I dont think comparing Minneapolis to Albuquerque is fair, in a way it is like comparing apples to bananas, but I still think that New Mexico generally speaking is extremely underfunded.
Yes, lukeache, I fully comprehend the population difference between MN and NM. Just pointing out that there is more than one way to look at the data you were trying to cite. Unfortunately, poverty is present everywhere, even in places as well thought of as Minnesota.

I agree with you that it is difficult to compare the two states as they have little in common. That being the case, however, I think you are trying to hold NM to a MN standard in many of your comments. As you pointed out, MN has over twice the population base from which to draw funding. And I will also agree with EnjoyEP that that same population is probably taxed at a rate that I would not be comfortable with.

Chap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque