Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 11:30 AM

12 posts, read 26,475 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the advice. I'll be out there in a month and will be looking into all your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEyeDevil View Post
My wife is retiring later this year and we will be buying a home in Albuquerque. I'm leaning towards the Ventana Ranch area.
Some threads which have recently been merged regarding the Ventana Ranch area:
General Info on Ventana Ranch Community
Things to Do in Ventana Ranch Area
Tell Me why you love Ventana Ranch!
Taylor Ranch vs. Ventana Ranch vs. Ladera Heights last post is 06-23-2008 and a lot has changed.
I truly believe that a trip to the area is needed...

Old 02-09-2014, 05:12 PM

89 posts, read 269,889 times
I live in Ventana West. It's a reasonably quiet bedroom community. I rather enjoy it. Takes an easy 10-15 minutes to get to basic shopping and a few more to an the insane commercial area of Cottenwood Mall and environs which basically offers anything you need.

I work at UNM and it's 25 minutes commute (13 miles) and compared to what I suffered through in NY (where I am from), it's a breeze. I like Ventana West because I'm on the edge of town. Nice (big) modern house with a decent (by ABQ standards) yard that I can sit out back and listen to the coyotes on summer evenings. Living is pretty cheap here so I have no complaints.

I looked in the other areas of the city, but I liked this area the best. More (newer) house for the money and a nice quiet area. Two of the things I valued most.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM

Thanks Mavs. Already have some homes picked out and contacted the RE agent. I'll be out there asap to check it out.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,686,154 times
Are there any particular characteristics you're looking for in a house or neighborhood?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Just looking for a quiet area near a small park. We have two Jack Russells so we want a decent size backyard. All of the homes that I'm looking at are nice and the Ventana area seems to have the most for sale. The other areas that were suggested are out of our price range. Trying to stay under 200000 because I want to eventually buy another and rent it out.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,686,154 times
Well if that's your only requirements there should be plenty of areas and houses to choose from. Just explore a few and see which you like best I guess.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,186,612 times
Since my hubby & I are considering moving to NM from out of state, could you please advise how ABQ compares to Las Cruces? We are in our early 50's, and are looking to rent a SFH rather than buying.

And, other than Ventana Ranch, which was mentioned above, what other areas should possibly be considered?

Thank you!

Old 02-10-2014, 04:01 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,549,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from nv View Post
could you please advise how ABQ compares to Las Cruces?
We live in the ABQ area (Rio Rancho) and I have been to Las Cruces over the years. We also have friends who live or have lived in the Las Cruces and Truth or Consequences areas. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

These threads have a lot of opinions:
Albuquerque vs Las Cruces Thread?
Albuquerque vs Santa Fe vs Las Cruces

Old 02-10-2014, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 7,727 times
I think you should try rio rancho minimal traffic (unless on 528), great communities and great parks. Raylee homes has been building in rio rancho with great communities I actually just moved into a neighborhood in rio rancho from ohio and love it try going on the raylee homes website to find a community and house plan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque