Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 01:57 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Please provide the links where you got your information.
If you look back through this thread, I have provided links which indeed do show that Albuquerque is among the most dangerous cities in the country.

There's large parts of Albuquerque, and NM in general, that are equally as dangerous as any of the American cities on your list of 10, particularly if you are male, and especially if you are Hispanic.
Then again, number of superfund sites in the entirety of Bernalillo county: 4
Number of superfund sites in Sunnyvale (2% the size of Bernco): 5

Danger is relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 04:13 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,947,010 times
The worse parts of Albuquerque are better off than the ghettos of Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis and even some areas of Vancouver BC which is one of the highest regarded cities in the world.

The only part that feels low class to the city is how the drivers drive on the freeway. Sometimes it seems like being in a Mad Max movie on 1-40 or 1-25. No idea what the rush is in a city that is not suppose to be NYC minute fast.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 10 years and if I moved to ABQ I might give up riding.

Other than that, its a great looking city.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
If you look back through this thread, I have provided links which indeed do show that Albuquerque is among the most dangerous cities in the country.

Guys, if there's anyone who's in a position to know, it's me, because I grew up in Albuquerque in the South Valley, my parents still live there, and I have lived and traveled through many places in the U.S. I'm very familiar with many cities, including the rough places in those cities. I have also spent time in Cali, Colombia, which is substantially more dangerous than any city in the U.S. I have solid basis of life experience to know how Albuquerque is in the grand scheme of things.

There's large parts of Albuquerque, and NM in general, that are equally as dangerous as any of the American cities on your list of 10, particularly if you are male, and especially if you are Hispanic.
Cali, Colombia? Now you lost all credibility.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Now you show your lack of knowledge... It's actually called Santiago de Cali which is in the country of Columbia... About two million people.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-12-2016 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 11:21 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
If I grew up in one of Albuquerque's roughest neighborhoods and moved to the one of the safest and most economically thriving parts of the San Francisco Bay Area (Sunnyvale, the heart of Silicon Valley), I might have a similar impression.
Yeah, except prior to living in Sunnyvale, I have also lived in Socorro, Santa Fe, Austin, Brooklyn NY, D.C., Honolulu, Grand Junction. And as I said I have traveled extensively throughout the U.S and also border towns in Mexico. I have a very solid basis of comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
The worse parts of Albuquerque are better off than the ghettos of Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis and even some areas of Vancouver BC which is one of the highest regarded cities in the world.
Simply not true.
Quote:
because?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Now you show your lack of knowledge... It's actually called Santiago de Cali which is in the country Columbia... About two million people.
Technically that's its name, but nobody in Colombia refers to it by its full name.

Last edited by 80skeys; 01-18-2016 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 11:35 AM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
I grew up in Albuquerque in the South Valley, my parents still live there
If it's so bad, how can you allow your parents to stay there? Don't they fear for their lives, like you?

Old 01-18-2016, 12:15 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
Quote:

Guys, if there's anyone who's in a position to know, it's me, because I grew up in Albuquerque in the South Valley, my parents still live there, and I have lived and traveled through many places in the U.S. I'm very familiar with many cities, including the rough places in those cities. I have also spent time in Cali, Colombia, which is substantially more dangerous than any city in the U.S. I have solid basis of life experience to know how Albuquerque is in the grand scheme of things.

Oh, you've been various places so you're an expert? Please. Your experience is anecdotal at best.

ABQ is not on this list.
The Most Dangerous Cities in America - 24/7 Wall St.

Nor on this list.
The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America

Nor this one
The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in the US - EscapeHere

Not this one either.
Crime in America 2016: Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities Over 200,000 - Law Street (TM)

Oh hey, we're 89th on this one, better get the bulletproof vest! lol.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

But we're not on this list.
The 10 Most Dangerous Cities in America

ANd not on this one.
Detroit - In Photos: The 10 Most Dangerous U.S. Cities - Forbes

Do I need to continue, or shall we allow data to be taken over your vast, but still limited, experience?

Last edited by Yac; 01-28-2016 at 06:05 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 05:11 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post

Do I need to continue, or shall we allow data to be taken over your vast, but still limited, experience?
Never going to happen. As this guy's many prior posts on this thread amply demonstrate, his subjective experience apparently trumps any and all empirical data and anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know Albuquerque as thoroughly and perfectly as he does. And things certainly couldn't have changed since he lived here. It's a peculiar axe to grind, but that's his thing. No need to keep feeding the troll.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:03 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:

Technically that's its name, but nobody in Colombia refers to it by its full name.
If you REALLY know Cali Colombia you wouldn't compare its crime to Albuquerque's. Sure Albuquerque might no be that great by US standards but Colombian cities are just a hot mess. Of course if you just stayed a few days in a "safe" tourist area, you would had not had the chance to know all the crap that goes there, especially the ridiculous amounts of homocides in poor neighborhoods.

Is Albuquerque full of slums? Have thousands of rural people moved there with nothing in their pockets fleeing from the armed conflict? No. The level of poverty and crime in not even close.

I think you are exaggerating way too much.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:36 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
If it's so bad, how can you allow your parents to stay there? Don't they fear for their lives, like you?
Here we have it, sarcasm from people who don't know any better. Okay, I have many stories to tell, I'll just share one. When I was a teenager, I became friends with a pair of brothers who moved down the block from me. The first week I knew them, cholos had already starting fighting with them. Over the next couple years, there were countless fights, and the one brother that I got along with really well, he got stabbed on three different occasions, two of which put him in the hospital. His brother had the tip of his finger chopped off when someone attacked him with a machete, and eventually this guy ended up being murdered in Albuquerque. My friends weren't gang members. The reason they were targeted was because they were'nt from the neighborhood.

The only reason I avoided any serious problems was because I deliberately and proactively avoided anything that potentially could be trouble. I only hung out on the half block around my house, if I saw trouble coming I went the other way. And even then, I only narrowly avoided serious problems on some occasions.

And yes, I have never felt comfortable with my parents living there. When neighbors find a body floating in the ditch behind my parents house, as did happen, you wouldn't think it's the most comfortable environment, do you? so, of course, over the years I have ocassionally encouraged them to move. to no avail.

Here are some stats:
https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/p...eat-assessment
https://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces...183052414.html
The most dangerous states in America

Quote:
If you REALLY know Cali Colombia you wouldn't compare its crime to Albuquerque's.
I didn't. I'm using it to point out that I have experiences with other places, including those that are more dangerous, as a point of comparison. In other words, I have a reasonable set of life experiences in order to assess how Albuquerque is overall. Yes, Cali is a different level of danger. A lot of things happen there that people wouldn't dream of happening here in the States. ... And this is exactly my point, I'm not making naive claims about ABQ. And no, I don't go to Colombia as a tourist. In fact I am very familiar with not only Cali, but throughout Valle del Cauca and neighboring regions. In fact I was just there a few weeks ago for the Christmas holidays.
Quote:
Is Albuquerque full of slums?
. No, and neither is Cali. But yes, there is substantially more crime in Colombia.
Quote:
I think you are exaggerating way too much.
if you had the many experiences in Albuquerque that I did, you wouldn't be saying this.

Last edited by 80skeys; 01-19-2016 at 12:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque