Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,900 times

Advertisements

Are there employment opportunities for education 8-12 teachers in Albuquerque?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 08:35 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Are there employment opportunities for education 8-12 teachers in Albuquerque?
Check with APS here: Jobs — Albuquerque Public Schools

You might also check with Rio Rancho schools here: https://riorancho.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx

Old 11-25-2014, 05:16 AM

332 posts, read 1,120,001 times
I taught in APS, at the middle school level, for four years. There are generally jobs, especially in the hot areas of math, science and SpEd, but principal's usually can't really say they'll hire you until June. Which is nerve-wracking if you have to take leave of your current position.

Have you checked the pay-scale? I don't know where you're coming from, but I had to really adjust my thinking, the pay was much lower than I was used to. I thought I could do it, but in the end, even though the cost of living is somewhat commensurate with the low pay, it really cramped my style for going on vacations, etc. Airlines and hotels didn't care that I was suddenly making $25k less!

Old 11-26-2014, 02:40 PM

150 posts, read 253,759 times
Starting salary for teachers in Albuquerque is 32K.

AT1 Salary Schedule — Albuquerque Public Schools

For perspective: Starting salary for teachers in San Francisco is 45K.

Median home price in Albuquerque is less than 200K, median home price in San Francisco is over $1 million. A one bedroom apartment in Albuquerque rents for $600, a one bedroom apartment in San Francisco rents for $3300.

Compared to San Francisco, a teacher in Albuquerque would have a dramatically higher standard of living.

Last edited by Abraxas; 11-26-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-26-2014, 04:36 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,424,147 times
A long time ago, during my teaching days in the San Francisco Bay Area, I vacationed in Taos and liked it so much that I walked into the district office to see whether there was an opening in my subject area. When the director of personnel said there was and that, based on our conversation, he would be interested in hiring me, my heart jumped. Gravity took over, however, when I learned that I'd be earning almost half of what I was making in the San Francisco Bay Area.

So, I waited until retirement came to move to NM, where I spent 10 pleasant years. I was astonished to learn that I was making more than some Abq. school principals.

I agree with Abraxas that buying a house or renting one is an impossibility in San Francisco. Nevertheless, from what I have learned from APS teacher friends, working conditions are often not the best and teacher morale is often low. This is too bad, because there are probably a lot of out-of-state teachers who would jump at the chance to work in central New Mexico.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:24 PM

150 posts, read 253,759 times
If you work in any large urban school district, then you probably already work in a place where people say that "working conditions are often not the best and teacher morale is often low." If you were to move to Albuquerque, your experience at work would probably be comparable (which, depending on who you are, might be great even if your colleagues complain). The question for you is how much would the rest of your life improve? And if the rest of your life improves, might that not also improve your morale while at work?

And just to be clear, if you are a good teacher, we really want you. People here recognize the importance of your role to the community.

Last edited by Abraxas; 11-26-2014 at 09:02 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 03:23 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
There might be some openings in APS as teachers who are tired if this kind of thing opt to move out of education and into something else.

Fifth grader goes on violent, destructive rampage | New Mexico News - KOAT Home

Old 03-17-2015, 03:40 AM

51 posts, read 88,170 times
I heard there might be a high school chemistry position open...

Old 03-17-2015, 05:00 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CShel24 View Post
I heard there might be a high school chemistry position open...
did the previous teacher quit to make some real money?

Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM

51 posts, read 88,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8! View Post
did the previous teacher quit to make some real money?
It was meant to be funny... A guy named "Walter White".

I just saw this scrolling down through the forum... thought of Breaking Bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque