Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:50 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Actually, the building where Tuco had his headquarters is in reality Java Joe's, a great local coffee shop and cafe . One of the city's best breakfast burritos...

Tight tight tight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 07:22 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Post #2 makes the most sense. Get a city map, drive around, observe the neighborhoods, take notes and then decide which neighborhood best suits you. Then look for a Realtor. Have fun.

FWIW - I have wanted to move to New Mexico for years but I cannot get my wife to even consider it.
IF you're still in NH (your ID says that), just start printing out the daily forecast….ABQ NM vs NH… and tape it to the refrigerator. She'll get the idea eventually.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:29 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I've been in the same rental since January 2008. Never had a break in, triplex nor car. NOthing stolen from my patio. Same goes for the landlord, who also lives here in one of the units. Rarely do you see the cops out here, the few times I have, it was domestic disturbances across the street (those folks have since moved). There was a murder about 3 blocks down, about 2 years ago, that had the cops stumped. They were quoted in the paper as saying, "things like this just don't normally happen in this part of town". Last I heard, they thought it, too, was related to a domestic issue.

So there are good parts of town. Like atxxj said a few posts above, "don't let the concept of what its like to live in NM get in the way of the reality".

And like others posted, come visit, rent a car, drive around and you'll notice pretty fast what areas you're comfortable in and which ones you don't like.

However, do be prepared for a LOT of brown (buildings, land) and stupid burglar bars. The bars don't always mean it's a bad area, but if you're from another part of the country where they aren't as prevalent, you'll think it's a bad spot.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:27 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post

And like others posted, come visit, rent a car, drive around and you'll notice pretty fast what areas you're comfortable in and which ones you don't like.
My problem is I've done this driving around ABQ and "comfortable" feeling to me means higher rent/mortgage payment! Darn it.

Last edited by kpl1228; 02-04-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 PM

255 posts, read 626,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
My problem is I've done this driving around ABQ and "comfortable" feeling to me means higher rent/mortgage payment! Darn it.
Yep, thats pretty much it. You're gonna have to pay above and beyond for peace of mind in ABQ. If you are willing to commit, there are some quiet places to live in the far NE heights.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:01 AM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Of course, that's true in just about any city.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
That area on that map around the base goes by many names: The Square, The War Zone, and most recently, The "International District". Its a result of the 20th century way of thinking of concentrating low-income at-risk families and parolees to one part of town. Prior to 2011 the whole area was mostly low-income medium-density housing built to minimum code. Many burned down. Many more were razed or replaced. Sometime in the 90's to combat drug trafficking (somehow), the city erected diagonal traffic diverters and turned the square into a maze. In (I think) 2011 the city took the traffic diverters down and put roundabouts in their place, and started building single family homes in an effort to restore the neighborhood as a viable place to live. We'll see.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
That area on that map around the base goes by many names: The Square, The War Zone, and most recently, The "International District".
It was officially named the "International District". It has real established boundaries. That's better than just jaw flapping bashing an area... Here is a thread on the subject if anyone is really interested: SE Albuquerque aka International District and Found a home (International District)

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-06-2015 at 07:40 PM..

Old 02-06-2015, 11:38 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
One can even find signs that bear the International District name. In that map on either link, you can see the ID includes the part that was really bad, from just east of the "Louisiana Blvd" label to about halfway to Wyoming, bound north-south by Zuni and Southern, at least that's the part that had the gates and traffic diverters.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:01 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
While some folks may have an unhealthy nostalgia for the "War Zone" label, the International District moniker is quite accurate. What other part of town has three Buddhist temples (two Thai, one Vietnamese), a Vietnamese Catholic Church, a Hindu temple society, Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese and Laotian markets, (at least) two Native American community centers, and Vietnamese, Colombian, Chinese and Thai restaurants galore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque