Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:42 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,443,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
New Mexico overall is a republican, conservative state with much of the economy based on the military.
Statewide voter registration by party, 2014: 47% Dem, 31% Republican, 19% independent/other

NM Presidential election results since 1996: in that time period, NM has supported a Republican candidate once (2004) and then only by 0.8%. NM has voted for the Democrat in five of the last six Presidential elections.

New Mexico's Congressional delegation: 4 Dems, 1 Republican.

New Mexico's Congresspeople are all currently considered to occupy "safe seats".

Nuff said. The rest of your post is riddled with lots of similar misrepresentations, but I'll leave it to others to correct those errors. (Looks like they're already doing so).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 09:47 PM

285 posts, read 375,252 times
The Republicans don't vote in large numbers. Why bother when they know that Santa Fe, Nob Hill, and the University Area will swing the elections?

Kind of like Scottsdale, AZ. The Democrats don't vote, since they're all Hipsters from the Midwest, 20's, 30's, and so the City Council is all Republicans.

There are no misrepresentations, just opinions. Those, are my opinions, shared by others who I met when living in NM who were also from the West Coast - San Diego and Orange County to be specific. They weren't very happy in NM.

If you REALLY want a LIBERAL smaller city, where the Liberals have the majority control of everything, try Monterey, and Santa Cruz, CA.

Old 05-10-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
The Republicans don't vote in large numbers. Why bother when they know that Santa Fe, Nob Hill, and the University Area will swing the elections?

Kind of like Scottsdale, AZ. The Democrats don't vote, since they're all Hipsters from the Midwest, 20's, 30's, and so the City Council is all Republicans.

There are no misrepresentations, just opinions. Those, are my opinions, shared by others who I met when living in NM who were also from the West Coast - San Diego and Orange County to be specific. They weren't very happy in NM.

If you REALLY want a LIBERAL smaller city, where the Liberals have the majority control of everything, try Monterey, and Santa Cruz, CA.
Apparently those Republicans don't register to vote, either? How very mysterious...

The idea that someone from Orange County (land of Bob Dornan and Ronnie Reagan) would find New Mexico too conservative for their tastes is amusing to say the least...

Old 05-10-2016, 01:19 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,047,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Apparently those Republicans don't register to vote, either? How very mysterious...

The idea that someone from Orange County (land of Bob Dornan and Ronnie Reagan) would find New Mexico too conservative for their tastes is amusing to say the least...
That is amusing. I grew up in the LA/OC area. Albuquerque is not more conservative than those area.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:22 PM

720 posts, read 802,588 times
Spouse and I are choosing between ABQ and communities in three other states. Although we're not gay, reading that ABQ is a gay-friendly city immediately puts it ahead of our other choices. In our experience, gay-friendly communities and cities are generally nicer places to live for everyone.

Thanks to the OP for asking the specific question, and thanks to commenters for the thoughtful, informative answers!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:37 PM

720 posts, read 802,588 times
Default Congrats and a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
We ended up buying two houses, and we love both neighborhoods. One we rent out (current lease is up in a few weeks) in the Uptown neighborhood, a relatively affordable but pleasant part of the Northeast Heights with good schools (Sandia High School).

The other house, where we are living, is in the UNM North/Nob Hill area. Neighbors brought us homemade cookies as we were moving in, and we are currently organizing a block party with our lesbian neighbors across the street.

We highly recommend both neighborhoods.
Hello and congratulations on finding your properties and home with nice neighbors.

It looks like my spouse and I are going to be moving to ABQ in July (just found out a couple of hours ago that we got the go-ahead if we want it) and I'm neighborhood shopping like you were. Our children are grown so we don't need to worry about schools anymore. In fact, we don't even have our little dog anymore because he passed away after almost 17 years with us, and since we've been moving for jobs more frequently since he died we're going to remain pet free to make it easier to find homes (plus moving him from one state to another was sometimes a drag and expensive). I like to be either totally out in farm country or right smack in the middle of city action. I'm not a fan of suburban environments now that I don't have children at home. Also, I like to be within 20 minutes driving from my spouse's employment so there aren't long commutes.

Looking online, your Nob Hill community looks like it might be up my alley. It's 15 minutes from the job, and it looks like it is a fixed-up historical neighborhood. Historical neighborhoods are my favorites. Are my perceptions correct? If so, is it hard to find rental homes there?

I'm done with buying homes when I don't know how long I'll be somewhere. Did it too many times and was always stuck with the preparing for sale and selling our properties. It's not worth it to me anymore, so I insist on renting for at least the first year, if not longer. Right now we are living in a beautiful townhouse that provides all the yard care and we have no shared walls with neighbors, so it is perfect for us at this stage of our lives. We can have fun instead of doing yard work while our townhouse feels like a single-family home. Wish I could take it with me! I'm hoping we can find something like it or a nice little house in the Nob Hill neighborhood.

Looking at the Uptown neighborhood, what I see online thus far is a large commercial district with old neighborhoods around it that are not fixed up as nice as Nob Hill. The homes do not look as well cared for and I don't see funky little town center like I see when looking at Nob Hill. Is that the case, or am I only seeing small snapshots of the neighborhood that are not representative of the entire neighborhood?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and/or tips!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:45 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,156,945 times
Your observations regarding Nob Hill and Uptown are exactly backwards. There are some freshly renovated and/or new buildings in Nob Hill, and there are some dumps in Uptown, but they are less common than the reverse.

Nob Hill will have bifurcated options- fresh built rentals for high dollars, and old dump rentals for low dollars. Uptown will have more middle-of-the-road options.

Also note that "Realtor creep" has assailed the part of town Nob Hill is in. The actual hill and the surrounding neighborhood used to be far smaller than people selling and renting real estate would have you believe- Lomas and San Mateo used to be multiple miles from the edge of it, and now the redeveloped shopping center is named after Nob Hill.

Living in Nob Hill by choice with a job 15 minutes away strikes me as asinine. Rent a bigger place in a safer neighborhood closer to work, all for less money, why don't you?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
Hello and congratulations on finding your properties and home with nice neighbors.

It looks like my spouse and I are going to be moving to ABQ in July (just found out a couple of hours ago that we got the go-ahead if we want it) and I'm neighborhood shopping like you were. Our children are grown so we don't need to worry about schools anymore. In fact, we don't even have our little dog anymore because he passed away after almost 17 years with us, and since we've been moving for jobs more frequently since he died we're going to remain pet free to make it easier to find homes (plus moving him from one state to another was sometimes a drag and expensive). I like to be either totally out in farm country or right smack in the middle of city action. I'm not a fan of suburban environments now that I don't have children at home. Also, I like to be within 20 minutes driving from my spouse's employment so there aren't long commutes.

Looking online, your Nob Hill community looks like it might be up my alley. It's 15 minutes from the job, and it looks like it is a fixed-up historical neighborhood. Historical neighborhoods are my favorites. Are my perceptions correct? If so, is it hard to find rental homes there?

I'm done with buying homes when I don't know how long I'll be somewhere. Did it too many times and was always stuck with the preparing for sale and selling our properties. It's not worth it to me anymore, so I insist on renting for at least the first year, if not longer. Right now we are living in a beautiful townhouse that provides all the yard care and we have no shared walls with neighbors, so it is perfect for us at this stage of our lives. We can have fun instead of doing yard work while our townhouse feels like a single-family home. Wish I could take it with me! I'm hoping we can find something like it or a nice little house in the Nob Hill neighborhood.

Looking at the Uptown neighborhood, what I see online thus far is a large commercial district with old neighborhoods around it that are not fixed up as nice as Nob Hill. The homes do not look as well cared for and I don't see funky little town center like I see when looking at Nob Hill. Is that the case, or am I only seeing small snapshots of the neighborhood that are not representative of the entire neighborhood?

Zoidberg's observations are astute, but there is definitely nothing approaching a "funky little town center" in Uptown.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:48 PM

150 posts, read 252,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post

Your perceptions seem right to me. But knowing that you like central, historical neighborhoods and don't need to worry about school quality, that opens up a number of beautiful neighborhoods you might really like:

The following 2 neighborhoods are my favorites in this category, which are not only beautiful, central, and historic, but are disproportionately populated by quirky educated professionals who eschew the suburbs and appreciate characterful neighborhoods:

Country Club [South of Central, west of 14th St.] – this neighborhood that reminds me of Beverly Hills with lots of beautifully maintained, elegant 1930s homes and manicured streets

Ridgecrest [South of Coal around Ridgecrest Drive] – another beautiful neighborhood reminds me of older high-end Los Angeles neighborhoods

The following 2 neighborhoods are also very much worth your time exploring, with a mix of delightful renovated and less delightful unrenovated parts so on the ground research is a must:

Old Town – lots of folks are restoring Adobe and craftsman homes in this area. There are stunning streets of craftsmen homes found between Central and Lomas west of downtown (my friend who just restored who craftsman there says that particular area is called Downtown Neighborhood Association).

Huning Highlands – some beautifully restored Victorian and craftsman homes around Central east of Broadway, with more restored homes concentrated just south of Central

I think you will enjoy your search in these neighborhoods! Be sure to try to meet neighbors in the historic neighborhoods -- I find them unusually friendly and interesting people.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
Old Town – lots of folks are restoring Adobe and craftsman homes in this area. There are stunning streets of craftsmen homes found between Central and Lomas west of downtown (my friend who just restored who craftsman there says that particular area is called Downtown Neighborhood Association).
I agree completely about this general area. To be more specific, the Old Town neighborhood is bounded by 12th Street, Central/Lomas, Mountain Road, and Rio Grande, although it could be considered to push a few blocks west of Rio Grande in some areas. To the north, the newly-developed, expanding, but very pedestrian-friendly Sawmill Neighborhood is between Rio Grande, Mountain, 12th, and I-25, and the somewhat rougher, more industrial neighborhood between Mountain, 12th, I-25, and the railroad tracks is known as Wells Park.

The area you refer to above between Central, Lomas, downtown, and 12th Street that is today covered by the Downtown Neighborhood Association was historically known as the Fourth Ward and was one of Albuquerque's first upscale neighborhoods. The Fourth Ward name remains in play as a historical-preservation zoning overlay in this part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque