Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:16 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,691,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Interesting read here in Time Magazine on this subject. The article itself is pretty low on information, but lots of good info in the comments.

Albuquerque Really Is Like 'Breaking Bad' | TIME.com
Emotional comments are one thing. Numbers are another.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:48 PM

7 posts, read 11,497 times
When checking the national crime stats for all of the states, NM once again is near the top of that bad list.
They might as well take down the speed limit signs and ask people to open their doors before the criminals break them down or go through a window.
This is the most crime infested place I've lived, and that's a total of 18 cities due to military assignment transfers.
If I'd known the crime and drivers were so bad I would have never moved here, and we're leaving as soon as possible.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Crane View Post
When checking the national crime stats for all of the states, NM once again is near the top of that bad list.
They might as well take down the speed limit signs and ask people to open their doors before the criminals break them down or go through a window.
This is the most crime infested place I've lived, and that's a total of 18 cities due to military assignment transfers.
If I'd known the crime and drivers were so bad I would have never moved here, and we're leaving as soon as possible.
Where, Gallup?

Old 07-19-2015, 02:28 PM

172 posts, read 288,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Crane View Post
they seem to be nothing more than suggested speeds--
That is exactly what they are, and that is how it should be. If it was up to me, the sign would even read "suggested speed" and all so-called "speed limits" would be rescinded. Different situations (vehicles, drivers, road conditions) allow for varying speeds and no set speed for any location is necessarily safe or reasonable for everyone at all times. The offense could be unsafe driving, if there is evidence of such behavior like crossing the white line, following too close (within a specified distance). Bogus charges based on a claim of a number on a machine can be beaten as there is no victim here. It is all just a money-making scheme anyway, like so many other things on the road.

Since you don't agree with this, moving to a place where cops are hiding behind every corner waiting to pop you for going a mile over the limit is a great idea.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:48 PM

887 posts, read 1,210,124 times
I can't offer much on driving habits since about 90% of my driving off the highways are on Paseo and Tramway. I will say that Tramway is one road that I am always trying to stick to the posted speed limits.
Other than that the only time I feel that the NM folks drive like lunatics are under the same conditions as back home. It's when I am not sure where I am going and they fly past and around me because they KNOW where they are headed.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:12 PM

153 posts, read 210,911 times
It's true, this is a very angry town with a drinking problem. Yes, APD and the Sheriff's departments are overloaded although the Sheriff's department seems to be doing a better job at PR. If I had my druthers, I'd rather be living in a smaller city with lower crime rates, too. When choosing a city to reside, pick well; pick a city that's not in poverty.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,049,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
It's true, this is a very angry town with a drinking problem. Yes, APD and the Sheriff's departments are overloaded although the Sheriff's department seems to be doing a better job at PR. If I had my druthers, I'd rather be living in a smaller city with lower crime rates, too. When choosing a city to reside, pick well; pick a city that's not in poverty.
The city of Albuquerque is below the national average of people below the poverty line. The state no, but the city of Albuquerque is.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
The city of Albuquerque is below the national average of people below the poverty line. The state no, but the city of Albuquerque is.
We're also #76 out of 100 for DUI fatalities. A drunk driver is more likely to kill you in Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, Colorado Springs, Austin, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Aurora, CO, Lubbock. Basically any other top 100 city in the region is more dangerous from a DUI standpoint.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,049,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
We're also #76 out of 100 for DUI fatalities. A drunk driver is more likely to kill you in Denver, Phoenix, Tucson, El Paso, Colorado Springs, Austin, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Aurora, CO, Lubbock. Basically any other top 100 city in the region is more dangerous from a DUI standpoint.
How dare we introduce facts into these types of discussions. How dare we!

Old 07-27-2015, 02:48 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
I was driving in and near Manchester, NH yesterday. The traffic in the interstate was going about 85 or over in a 55 mph zone. Like I said in a previous post driving in ABU was like taking a break. Be glad of what you have. It could be worse.

FWIW - We are considering taking the winter away from here in the Frozen North East. Albuquerque is one of the cities we are considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque