Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:16 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,689,370 times

Advertisements

I don't have any specific recommendations but
1) Yes dry rot can happen. The inspector found a bit in our house.
2) Yes, termites do exist in NM. Our has had been treated prior to a previous sale.

We had the same inspector for both termites and dry rot but I really can't remember what they were called. I'd use them again. I would not use the main home inspector again, he missed many obvious issues.

You can get radon test kits online. I've done a couple through DRHOMEAIR

If you think you might be doing any renovations/changing windows/flooring you might also want lead or asbestos sampling depending on the age of the house. I've used Assaigai Assaigai Analytical Laboratories, Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 09:42 PM

201 posts, read 289,520 times
^ Great, thank you for that information! I'll look into scheduling a mold inspection. It appears Assaigai may also do Radon.

Does anyone halve any feedback or recent experience with inspectors?

Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 AM

444 posts, read 818,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Hi all!

My fiance and I will be moving to Albuquerque soon (from Virginia) and I've been flying back and forth to look at property in the past few months. We made an offer on a house in Cedar Crest, and it was accepted.

We're now in the process of scheduling inspections, to which we can hopefully knock out in the short 1-3 day time frame that we're flying back in to ABQ for. So far the only inspection we've scheduled is the full home inspection with a supplemental well inspection. The septic is being done by the seller.

Has anyone had inspections done in the past few years that can recommended a thorough, and technical professional? We're looking to find an inspector for:

- Dry Rot Inspection (is it much of a worry in this area?)
- Wood Destroying Insects (again, an issue to be concerned about near ABQ?)
- Roof Inspection (in addition to the full home inspection - Detailed analysis & upgrade/repair quote)
- Structural Inspection
- Radon

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations/input!

Hello,

Please mention, who currently owns the home you wish to purchase? BEWARE IF THE SELLER IS A HOUSE FLIPPER.

I did all of the above, except radon. I also did some others. In the house you are looking at, where are the air ducts for the heating and cooling system? If they are in the floor, have them checked. Y? Because a lot of homes in ABQ have cardboard ductwork called "sonotubing". If this house has it, don't buy the house. It's a freaking nightmare because the ducts eventually get wet or deteriorate and collapse. It's not an "if" it's a "when".

Second, beware with your structural inspection. My inspector was buddies with my agent. My agent wanted paid, so a lot of things were "overlooked". For example, the filpper that did my house renovated the bathrooms including re-tiling the shower. The valves were very corroded, but he tiled up the showers anyway. The he used silicone caulking to attach the hot and cold knobs. The inspector didn't catch it, and within 15 min after the first hot shower, the knows turned off and we were turning the valve with a wrench. We had to bust up the wall, fix the pluming, and put the wall back together. My beautiful showers now look like sh*t, but they work. And, it was a pain to find the same tiles and grout. Also, a brand new heater was installed in-properly and there is no reasonable mechanical method to replace the air filter. We had to do an external filter which also looks like sh*t.

Plenty of my co-workers also had issues with there inspectors and home slippers as well. There are tones of flippers in ABQ, some of which work for banks and quickly buy up the good foreclosures. I would ask co-workers or potential co-workers if they know a contractor that they trust. Someone that has done more than one job for them. Then have that person inspect your house. OR PM me and I can give you my contractor.

My home was purchased in May 2014.

Last edited by candycanechick; 06-19-2015 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: left out info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque