Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:01 PM

10 posts, read 8,410 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been looking for a job for almost 2 years, but unfortunately, my quest for a job is not ending. I have had several interviews but I have not been hired yet, supposedly because of my stutter. Does anyone know if there are companies that hire stutterers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
A few observations:

Retail jobs (I'm assuming that's mainly what you've been trying to get) aren't the only jobs out there. They tend to pay pretty poorly, in fact.

It may not be just because of your speech issue; unemployment rate for teenagers and young twenty somethings is sky high. I know people without the stutter to blame it on who have similarly been out of work for going on years now. So it may not be that.

If you have even the most basic of computer skills and like working on computers, there's a number of remote positions (including a number of companies based in Albuquerque) that don't require a whole lot of verbal communication. Devoting a few weeks to taking free online courses as through MIT Open Courseware, Khan Academy, Coursera, Udacity, etc. will give you enough chops to start applying for these remote positions, regardless of a 2-year yawn in your job history.

6 figures without having to wear pants or leave your house is frighteningly close to most people.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:46 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
A few observations:

Retail jobs (I'm assuming that's mainly what you've been trying to get) aren't the only jobs out there. They tend to pay pretty poorly, in fact.

It may not be just because of your speech issue; unemployment rate for teenagers and young twenty somethings is sky high. I know people without the stutter to blame it on who have similarly been out of work for going on years now. So it may not be that.

If you have even the most basic of computer skills and like working on computers, there's a number of remote positions (including a number of companies based in Albuquerque) that don't require a whole lot of verbal communication. Devoting a few weeks to taking free online courses as through MIT Open Courseware, Khan Academy, Coursera, Udacity, etc. will give you enough chops to start applying for these remote positions, regardless of a 2-year yawn in your job history.

6 figures without having to wear pants or leave your house is frighteningly close to most people.
Very very good advice. I know someone that graduated from college a few of years ago and couldn't get what they thought were good jobs (English Major). Everything they could land were in the 30k range. After she spoke with me and a few others in the IT industry she decided to go back and learn some coding and analysis skills. She did so through the Khan academy and another coding academy that escapes me now. She now has a job locally in the $80k+ range.

Coding/IT work is not for everyone but if you can do it, it makes for a good living.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:40 PM

10 posts, read 8,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
A few observations:

But the thing is, I'm looking for temporary jobs while I finish college in about 4 years. I don't think IT/Coding is for me; it looks complicated.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 PM

232 posts, read 251,216 times
How about stocking shelves or something that requires manual labor?

Old 07-22-2015, 06:43 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
You need to get a job skill.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missladytexas View Post
How about stocking shelves or something that requires manual labor?
Like Sam's, Costco, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes's etc... They have some decent benefits. They have flexible schedules for students.

We could sit around and try to guess what this you man or woman has tried...

Old 07-22-2015, 07:35 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
I would hire you, I feel so bad. But do you KNOW for a fact that this is why you are not being hired or are you guessing? Did interviewers tell you "your stuttering is unfortunately an impediment to us hiring you, good luck on your job search"?

I doubt you will be unemployed for life due to stuttering. I would hire you.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:33 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQBorn&Raised View Post
But the thing is, I'm looking for temporary jobs while I finish college in about 4 years. I don't think IT/Coding is for me; it looks complicated.
Those temporary jobs which should be held by teenagers like yourself are being held as permanent jobs by your parents' and grandparents' generation, because (among other things) they thought IT/Coding looked complicated.

BTW, a lot of them have 4-year degrees too.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:14 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,244 times
The renowned physicist Sir Isaac Newton, British statesman Winston Churchill, and American actor James Stewart were all stutterers. Your determination to focus on mastering new skills rather than on limits caused by stuttering will give you more confidence and options. Don't view your stuttering as an obstacle, its just one of life's challenges that can be overcome.

Understandably, many stutterers are plagued by “fear . . . sometimes nagging, often acute,” explains stutterer David Compton in his book Stammering. “At his most vulnerable moment, his most necessary point of contact with his fellow human beings, at his reaching out towards them in speech, be it mundane or intimate, at such times the stammerer may expect to be wounded, made ridiculous . . . Even those who cope most successfully still admit that they have been shaped by their fear, and that it never entirely leaves them.”

Don't give up. There will be setbacks or disappointments at times. True courage is not about being fearless, its more about facing your fears and conquering them. Strive to maintain a positive attitude, you may have some setbacks, but you will also have notable successes if you don't give up.

Moses, one of the greatest figures in Bible history had some sort of speech impediment. "Moses now said to Jehovah: “Excuse me, Jehovah, but I am not a fluent speaker, neither since yesterday nor since before that nor since your speaking to your servant, for I am slow of mouth and slow of tongue." Exodus 4:10

Yet, he was chosen by God to lead an entire nation in spite of it. He had other qualities that God valued so much that he was chosen over many others who were skilled in speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque