Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:08 PM

38 posts, read 79,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
It's too bad that there are presently two incidents making the national news:
The road rage incident and the shooting of the policeman yesterday.

It's no wonder that so many of the threads on the Albq. forum question the safety of living in this city.

I know, right? I dont think our crime rate is as bad as other cities but it seems that when crimes happen, they tend to be incredibly extreme i.e west mesa murders, case of brianna lopez, this incident etc.

Still, things like these arent happening on a weekly basis, i still believe you're perfectly safe if you stick with the right crowds and arent related to any gang members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 03:37 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Is road rage a big problem there? Back here it seems there's a lot but just very recently.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:09 AM

2,141 posts, read 1,386,286 times
"Court records show Torrez has about a dozen prior felony charges, including charges from another incident in which he was accused of pulling a gun on another driver. However, all previous felony charges against Torrez were either dismissed or dropped.

Prosecutors charged Torrez in 2006 with aggravated battery and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. A man told investigators Torrez pulled a gun on him after an argument. The victim defended himself and was able to get Torrez in a chokehold, and the gun fired as they wrestled.

Prosecutors ended up dropping the charges because the victim and a witness would not cooperate.

In 2010, police arrested Torrez for kidnapping, aggravated battery, domestic violence and child abuse. Court records show the dismissal of those charges in 2013 after the victim died from an unrelated cause.

Two earlier cases of aggravated battery were also dismissed, and a 2014 arrest for negligent use of a deadly weapon also resulted with charges being dropped."

This guy sounds like a real POS. And like i've said, using guns to solve your problems is cowardice.

Hopefully he rots in jail for 400 million years.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:24 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Still, things like these arent happening on a weekly basis, i still believe you're perfectly safe if you stick with the right crowds and arent related to any gang members.

pinkkey - you are right about that. Just use common sense and stay away from riff-raff and use common sense and you'll be all right pretty much anywhere you're at. There's always exceptions to the rule. Chicago is kind of difficult at times with drive-bys and such, you just need to be aware of your surroundings, cover your fingers up when entering your pin number at the ATM, etc., etc.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:04 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Be alert, be aware of the circumstances and be armed in the dangerous areas. It is also a good idea to know how to evade someone trying to kill you from another car. That can, very rarely, happen anywhere.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Tony Torrez, age 32 confessed to the killing four year old Lilly Garcia during a road rage incident which occurred on Oct 20, 2015. Torrez had opened fire on the family’s truck on Interstate 40 in Albuquerque.

Torrez has been charged with seven felonies; an open count of murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, assault with the intent to commit a violent felony, shooting at or from a motor vehicle, child abuse, child abuse resulting in death and tampering with evidence. Judge Chris Schultz set Torrez’s bond at $650,000 on Oct 22 and had some harsh words for the suspected murderer. Schultz said “This is possibly one of the most wanton and atrocious acts that's alleged, I think, in the history of this city,â€

The judge said he considers Torrez to be a flight risk due to numerous instances of him failing to appear in court. Court records show Torrez has about a dozen prior felony charges, including charges from another incident in which he was accused of pulling a gun on another driver. However, all previous felony charges against Torrez were either dismissed or dropped.

References:
Lilly Garcia, Girl Killed in Road Rage Shooting, 'Was Just a Beautiful Soul' - NBC News
by Miguel Almaguer and Daniella Silva

Albuquerque Journal | Man charged with murder in 4-year-old’s slaying
By Robert Browman, Nicole Perez And Elise Kaplan / Journal Staff Writers
Published: Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 at 10:05am
Updated: Friday, October 23rd, 2015 at 12:11am

Old 10-23-2015, 09:23 PM

448 posts, read 591,443 times
The Rio Rancho cop was also killed by a violent repeat offender, the same with the cop shot back in January, the cop shot a few days ago was shot by a repeat offender. Remember the Astoria case, he had a previous murder under his belt before killing that cop in The mountains. That's New Mexico's biggest problem, too many thugs that get a slap on the wrist and are back to their normal routine of living a life of crime. It's the same with the people on the roads with 10+ dwi's.....it's outrageous.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:22 AM

Terribly sad news to report. Such a young life taken so soon.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:14 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
I moved from San Francisco to Albuquerque in 1985. Road rage, crime, and drive by shootings were an issue then, and that was 30 years ago. The crime areas of S.F. were basically in the low rent, high crime places, but the crime in Albuquerque had a more random feel to it, even though there were clearly defined bad areas. It still feels that way, as we saw recently when we were checking the city out. When I was living in S.F. in the early 80's there were a lot of homeless people. They're still there today, despite a total overhaul of their social service system. Before moving to San Francisco, I lived in New Orleans. Crime was a huge problem then, much worse than in Albuquerque. It's still a dangerous city.

Locking people up obviously has had no effect on crime in these places, and changing the social services has had no effect on the homeless issue in San Francisco. Unless the underlying reasons for these things are addressed, nothing is ever going to change. That just flies in the face of reality. Everywhere I look in this country, with few exceptions, I see attempts being made to treat the symptoms of society's ills, and no attempts to look at the causes. That's where it has to happen, or guess what? Groundhog day.

But that's pretty much the future. There's no reason to think things are going to change, or if they do change, it will be a long term thing. The best way to change your life is still to move to a place that offers more of what you value, and less of what you find problematic. Which is why these forums exist in the first place. People say there are no geographic fixes. Sure there are. You still bring your own stuff w/ you, that's a given, but some places really ARE better, and worse, than other places.

Last edited by smarino; 10-24-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 11:25 AM

You still bring your own stuff w/ you, that's a given, but some places really ARE better, and worse, than other places.

True, smarino, and, since this thread is discussing Albuquerque and in the overall New Mexico thread, I found Albuquerque delightful to visit. Mrs.elkotronics and I stayed in a hotel once there - it was when we lived in Alamogordo. We found the people downtown to be very nice. One guy saw me feeding a parking meter and offered to pay the tab. Huh? I said no thanks - I got it. But I thanked him for sure.

We walked around downtown a while a few times we visited there and didn't see anything nasty to hear, see, or experience. Some somewhat questionable, loud people that may have been high on something down by Central a block or two from the Federal building. Some skateboarding types. But that is pretty standard fare for cities and lots of small towns, too.

So my sampling time is very limited for Albuquerque. YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque