Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:36 PM

286 posts, read 382,965 times

Advertisements

Hello, I travel randomly and love visiting any and every city I can. ABQ is next in my list.

I have a handful of breweries I want to go to. Also, wanted to ask to see if there were any cool fun nightclubs that one could go to?

I hate to sound rude, but I've been told by natives of ABQ that it isn't "safe" and that every part of ABQ is dangerous, is this true? I have time to change my visit. If it isn't safe then I don't want to go lol. Are there places I should avoid at all costs. Also I've read some reviews and people have fallen victim of stolen wheels and stuff from their cars at hotels. Basically I need tips and advice, what to do and what not to do. haha. I don't go looking for trouble and am just looking to soak up some culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringamac92 View Post
I hate to sound rude, but I've been told by natives of ABQ that it isn't "safe" and that every part of ABQ is dangerous, is this true?
Not true.

Were they real natives of ABQ? Reallyyyyy?

Do you deal in illegal drugs and narcotics or involved in transporting illegal weapons to or from New Mexico. Etc, etc, etc?

My wife and I and kids and grandkids and now grandkids have lived in the ABQ area for 15 years...

Theses threads may help:
Things To Do In Albuquerque
My Favorite Things About Albuquerque
Things to do with kids in Albuquerque
The Top 10 Things to Do in Albuquerque - TripAdvisor - Albuquerque, NM Attractions - Find What to Do Today, This Weekend, or in March

Here are some sites with info:

Albuquerque - Albuquerque New Mexico - Albuquerque NM - itsatrip.org
Featured Events in Albuquerque - Duke City Fix - dukecityfix.com
Things to Do in Albuquerque - albuquerque.about.com
Albuquerque Events, Concerts, Film, Nightlife, Festivals & More - Yelp
Events and Entertainment calendar for Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Northern New Mexico - Alibi Calendar
A lot depends on how long you are in the area, ie Santa Fe is 60 miles away and worth a visit on a day trip, Taos is a bit further etc.

Good luck.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-10-2016 at 11:22 AM..

Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
Just enjoy yourself and don't worry so much. Check out the Frontier Restaurant and Nob Hill areas.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:56 PM

5,032 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Oh yeah, every square inch of ABQ is dangerous. LOL

I probably would avoid staying at most cheap motels along Central Avenue, but anywhere else is probably fine.

With 33 million visitors last year (across the state) there are a few tourists who will inevitably become victims of crime. We try to be nice to tourists though.

You might enjoy the brewery bike tour:
Brewery Bike Tour | Routes Bicycle Tours & Rentals, Inc

Old 11-06-2015, 06:50 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Ha ha! Dangerous places in Albuquerque! I had someone try to pay my parking meter downtown near Central in 2013. No, I really did. I told the guy "No, I'll just get it. But thank you so much!"

Albuquerque has the potential to be a dangerous place but I have found the people in it to be nice as spice in February. Or November. Enjoy your visit there and don't fret over that bunk somebody fed you, it isn't true.

Old 11-06-2015, 03:22 PM

286 posts, read 382,965 times
Thank you all for your replies!

Old 11-06-2015, 04:21 PM

I think there is an effect of wanting to sound "tough" by claiming you came from a "dangerous place" and survived. After "Breaking Bad" I think some people try to play this up even more. It is true that we are riding a wave of high-profile crimes this year, but the typical tourist doesn't need to worry about it. Generally don't leave any valuables in your car. I have lived here for 26 years and never had my car broken into, but I wouldn't take the chance.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:52 AM

383 posts, read 634,421 times
Sorry I missed visiting when I was in NM last week. We visited Santa Fe, and when I asked about ABQ each person from SF, crinkled their nose and said that it wasn't worth the visit.
I will be back sometime and will make it a point to see what ABQ is all about for myself.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
Hee hee - that's probably typical. Sounds like what somebody from San Francisco would say about LA or Seattle to visit. Ah, forget them, they're not worth it. One pays a large price to try and include theirself in with San Francisco.

Santa Fe is in a similar vein, sounds like. We lived down in humble little Alamogordo. Visited Santa Fe once. It was nice, but we liked Albuquerque just as much and found the people we met there to be very nice people. The city is an open book to us, we know very little about it. A good-sized gem to look forward to exploring more. Who knows, may be a good place ta retire in 5 years, 9 months, 12 days, 16 hours and 15 minutes.

Not that I'm actually counting down the time until I can retire. Or anything like that.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Sorry I missed visiting when I was in NM last week. We visited Santa Fe, and when I asked about ABQ each person from SF, crinkled their nose and said that it wasn't worth the visit.
I will be back sometime and will make it a point to see what ABQ is all about for myself.
Santa Fe is about 1/8 the size of Albuquerque, very compact and easier to visit, and sometimes can feel provincial. People from Santa Fe get genuinely confused when they visit Albuquerque, it is just too big for many of them to comprehend so they tend to stay away except to go to the airport. They also are surprised when people from Albuquerque know their way around Santa Fe as well (or better) than they do. For Albuquerque people, Santa Fe seems like it's in our back yard, but to some Santa Fe people, Albuquerque may as well be on another planet.

There was an article in the Santa Fe Reporter before Balloon Fiesta which gave Albuquerque restaurant recommendations to Santa Fe residents who were brave enough to venture south to our Balloon Fiesta and needed to eat in our city. Of course the restaurants that were recommended featured those that were established by Santa Fe chefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque