Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 07:56 PM

25 posts, read 23,371 times

Advertisements

Hello, I apologise if the questions I am going to ask have already been answered. Yes, I have read hundreds of threads for the last week and right now I feel like I'm having information overload. So I thought I would just ask specific questions pertaining to my family's current situation.

We've been living/working abroad for the last 5 years and my SO has a great job opportunity in ABQ. We already plan to visit in a couple of months to spend a week or two exploring the area. My SO is from the Denver/Boulder area and I'm from Chicago. I must admit my research has me not very excited about the potential move based on my bias for urban/metropolitan areas. But I am very adaptable and willing to compromise for my wife who is super excited and has been house hunting already, lol.

So my questions/criteria are:

Who are the good quality builders in the area? Are there homes by builders we should avoid?

I will likely work from home for a bit while my SO will be working close to Stardust Skies Park along Pennsylvania St. My SO hates commuting by car (20min max commute time) and our max budget is $500K for housing, but willing to break it for an awesome house, though I'm a cheapskate and would rather be much under it For me having a backyard that my son can run around in is kind of important. I would prefer some space between lots. We would both prefer a home less than 10yo. Easy access to big box stores or chain food joints is not a priority what so ever. Again, my SO hates commuting by car (20min max commute time), so based on the sparse data given what neighbourhoods should we be looking at?

After some of the reading I've done I'm a bit bummed about the school situation there. Currently we live in one of the best educational systems in the world even though it is super expensive. So any private schools for elementary on up anyone would recommend?

How is road cycling/mtn biking in ABQ? Any roadies/mtn bikers on the forum care to comment on driver attitudes/safety and road conditions?

Not much more I can think of till get more coffee in my system, but my family is extremely laid back and able to adapt to most environments/situations with a smile on our faces, so feel free to to give me as many options as possible, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 08:46 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,367 times
If you are talking about living in Albuquerque in a home less than 10 yrs old my guess is that you will be finding most of them west of the Rio.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
If you are talking about living in Albuquerque in a home less than 10 yrs old my guess is that you will be finding most of them west of the Rio.
For the amount they are looking for they can look in any part of town. In that price range I would stay away from the big builders and go with a local quality custom home builder. The west side in the last 10 years new construction is primarily sub divisions with small tiny lots. Not what is sounds like they want. A little more space. Also, considering that the job is off of Pennsylvania and Montgomery and not wanting more than a 20 minute commute, knocks out most of the west side.

IMHO, in the 500k range. I would look at North Albuquerque Acres and Nearby, The North Valley and Four Hills.

Old 01-21-2016, 05:28 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostinspace78 View Post
I must admit my research has me not very excited about the potential move based on my bias for urban/metropolitan areas.
Can you elaborate? This doesn't seem to jive with the later comment about wanting a yard with space for your child to run around, and having "space between lots."

You might look in the Tanoan community, it would be within 20 minutes of your SO's work and within better public school districts. Houses are still close together but many have decent back yards. It is near the Albuquerque Academy, a good private school: Albuquerque Academy, an independent, coeducational day school. | Albuquerque Academy

Albuquerque has 400 miles of bike paths/trails to delight roadies, as well as endless mountain biking in the area. One place to get an introduction to local mountain biking would be the foothills of the Sandias on the eastern edge of Albuquerque:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTfgRr-k9o0

Old 01-22-2016, 07:10 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I have spent around 6 days in Albuquerque. From what I have seen it is just about the best city for bicycle riders. The terrain, scenery and vast bike lanes along with empty sidewalks make for biking heaven. I'm not saying riding on the sidewalk is a good thing but lets face it this ain't Hong Kong sometimes you don't see a soul walking the streets and the street is all yours for riding.

I have been back home one week from Albuquerque and my soul still loves it there and never left. I think you will love the city as much as me.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostinspace78 View Post
How is road cycling/mtn biking in ABQ? Any roadies/mtn bikers on the forum care to comment on driver attitudes/safety and road conditions?
Nice bicycling area. Here are some threads you might be interested in reading:
Bicycle Groups???
Bicycle riders in ABQ...
Goatheads - Bicycle Tires
Interactive ABQ Bicycle Map
Looking for a used bicycle
Albuquerque third most bicycle-friendly city
Rude people on the Bosque bike trail.
convenient bike friendly area to live for early retiree
Getting Around By Bike In Winter?
ABQ Bike Events, Swaps, Shops
Bike Routes In ABQ

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-26-2016 at 06:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque