Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 AM

51 posts, read 200,491 times

Advertisements

We used to walk our two dogs all over Taylor Ranch and found it to be very pet friendly. The only problem for our dogs were the "Goat Head" thorns they would get stuck in their paws. Not fun. Also, we always took our pooches for hikes in the mountains (on a leash of course) and never had any problems. Just be a good pet owner and pick up after them and you should have no issues.

I don't remember a dog park in Taylor Ranch but that may have been built since i lived there. I'm sure a lot has changed in the 6 years I've been away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:01 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna06 View Post
We used to walk our two dogs all over Taylor Ranch and found it to be very pet friendly. The only problem for our dogs were the "Goat Head" thorns they would get stuck in their paws. Not fun. Also, we always took our pooches for hikes in the mountains (on a leash of course) and never had any problems. Just be a good pet owner and pick up after them and you should have no issues.

I don't remember a dog park in Taylor Ranch but that may have been built since i lived there. I'm sure a lot has changed in the 6 years I've been away.
There is a large dog park near the library in Taylor Ranch, and yes you'd be surprised how much ABQ has changed in just the last 6 years.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:33 PM

24 posts, read 84,063 times
Do you have any suggestions as to good sources to look for employment? I've checked the job service posted on this site and have posted on monster, but am at a loss as to what is a popular venue for local companies to post their openings on. Should I focus on the local paper, or is there some other website or such? (By the way, what is the major newspaper in Albuquerque?)

Oh, I know about goat head thistles, nasty things. They are in abundance here, as well. I guess they like the hot temps. Awful to step on!

Last edited by camsgirl; 02-25-2008 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-26-2008, 05:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camsgirl View Post
(By the way, what is the major newspaper in Albuquerque?)
Albuquerque Journal

ABQjournal | The Albuquerque Journal Online v1.5.3 tab Albuquerque and New Mexico State and Local News, Sports, Weather and Jobs, Cars, Real Estate and Classified Advertising

Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Back to the question of crime and gangs... I was just bicycling my usual morning workout routine around here in Tempe this morning and on a pedestrian bridge that crosses US-60 at College Ave I saw some griffiti saying "505 West Side Burque." What the heck? Is this some kind of Albuquerque gang? They're so busy they're tagging up areas 480 miles away? Are these guys dangerous, something to be worried about?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:41 AM

710 posts, read 2,962,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Back to the question of crime and gangs... I was just bicycling my usual morning workout routine around here in Tempe this morning and on a pedestrian bridge that crosses US-60 at College Ave I saw some griffiti saying "505 West Side Burque." What the heck? Is this some kind of Albuquerque gang? They're so busy they're tagging up areas 480 miles away? Are these guys dangerous, something to be worried about?
I would honestly say Phoenix, Tucson, and ABQ have very similar crime rates, AND FOR THE MOST PART it is isolated to a few bad areas of town. I've lived here my whole life and have not personally been a victim (knock on wood), but that is just my opinion.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:29 PM

24 posts, read 84,063 times
I'm just curious, since it will just be my husband and I moving to Alb. and we don't need to worry about schools and such, are there older parts of town that we would be able to find a reasonably priced rental, and not have to worry too much about getting broken into or vehicle thefts?

Older areas have a lot of charm that new complexes lack. It would, also, be nice if there was a small back yard for our little dog to play in. I've been looking at the rental listings and all the big complexes have a 2 pet max. and we have 3. They have little balconies or patios, too.

Also, our credit rating is in the toilet so we probably wouldn't qualify after they ran our credit history. I'm hoping the private owners would be more understanding.

So, where are the pockets of nice older neighborhoods? I would love to be able to walk to downtown or if there was a dog park nearby.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Hi camsgirl, my credit is lousy and I didn't have any problems with the landlords I talked with. Most of them said the same thing - they were more interested in my rental history (which was good). I also started looking after I arrived, so they could meet me, and I told them upfront what they'd find on the credit report. My landlord was more worried about the new carpet surviving my cat than my credit

Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,082,189 times
camsgirl (speaking dog) barked:

> Older areas have a lot of charm that new complexes lack.
> So, where are the pockets of nice older neighborhoods?
> I would love to be able to walk to downtown

All the areas W of downtown are a walker's delight. You also have the benefit of being able to walk to and along the river on the bosque trail.

Just about any rentals in that area are likely to be private owner stuff with some rentals out of converted garages or old houses that have been divided/converted.

If you are a good walker (not a wuss) then areas E of the RR tracks are also good since the scale of Albuquerque's downtown is more like a town of 100k rather than a small city of 500k. E of the tracks provides other walking venues like the University area.

Walking from the river to the University and back is more on the scale of an 'urban hike' so might not be suitable for canine footpads on a round trip.

Also, you might check around areas near Central just W of the river where newer subdivisions _aren't_. If they are charming (old) enough, you'll find private landlord rentals.

I think you can measure the safety of the neighborhood by checking it out during the gloaming. Seeing other walkers (hopefully with their pooches) is a good sign.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:42 AM

16 posts, read 36,154 times
May I say that ABQ is dog-friendly. My wife and I provide some limited support to ASPCA and with the same exceptions you might find anywhere, we have found that a positive pet environment here. The mayor ihas an animal rights mentality and cruelty here is increasingly less tolerated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque