Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:09 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,748,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
"the now discredited "Smart Growth" movement sponsored by the U.S. EPA that caused the national foreclosure crisis"

So the EPA caused the foreclosure crisis?
No doubt the non-carbon neutrality of Xeriscaping is caused by the Black Helicopters
that hover overhead to ensure than no blade of grass is grown...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 08:11 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times
I knew I saw something fly over my fescue and non-native water sucking plants! Thanks for the clarification!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:07 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbasin View Post
Kentucky Bluegrass and plenty of it.

More people need to run their sprinklers 24/7 so we can suck the last drop out of the system and drive the interlopers back to wherever they came from. Conserving water only means there are more resources for more people to pile in here and get in our way. "Smart growth" is a fools errand.
Oddly enough... I like your plan. Drive back the carpetbaggers by depleting our own resources... brilliant!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:11 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
"planting native, drought resistant plants like cacti, wild grasses, summer blooming wildflowers (like you see in the petroglyths) and native oak trees"

THAT IS XERISCAPING! XERISCAPING IS NATURAL GROWTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
I am now more confused than ever from Tom Lane's response.

Rybert is right. Xeriscaping uses plants. Take a look at the High Country Gardens catalog.

I just don't understand why you consider gravel xeriscaping.

People took the easy way out in the 90s by ripping up nonnative grass and putting in rocks. They called it xeriscaping, but were wrong. A well-thought-out xeriscaped yard is beautiful and can be expensive if you hire someone to do it. Rocks are easier - just pull a random weed, add more rocks if needed, but that is not xeriscaping.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 PM

145 posts, read 481,323 times
Tom,
I saw this on your twitter.

"Smart Growth States = High Unemployment Feb. 2009: OR-12%; CA-11%; GA-9%; WA-9%; whereas NM, OK, and TX at 6%; WY-5%: Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area "

it has to be one of the absurd correlations I have ever seen. The abuse of statistics does not make the resulting pablum fact.
There is one fact that is obvious, your logic is complete balderdash.
One might also gather that the most ignorant people in the country live in NM, OK, and TX as they are too stupid to demand a living wage. That would be balderdash, wouldn't it. Maybe we could deduce that in a down economy people still gots to have their chickens slaughtered in a OK. chicken slaughterhouse. I could go on. Truly Tom your logic escapes me.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:35 PM

261 posts, read 935,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rybert View Post
Oddly enough... I like your plan. Drive back the carpetbaggers by depleting our own resources... brilliant!

Hayduke lives.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:40 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Yard maintenance becomes a once every couple/three weeks event
and only requires one beer to get through it.
Who gets the beer - me or the plants?

Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
You get the beer. <<-- Why do I have the feeling I'm
................................ answering a smart-aleck?

"Beer" is a unit of time. So is "glass of Chardonney."
(Note that red wine and distilled beverages are NOT
appropriate for lawn maintenance.)

Yard maintenance should be a civilized affair. It should involve alcohol
and *not* involve stuff like sweating, getting frustrated, stuff like that.

Even if you have a lawn, get a non-powered push mower (the old-fashioned
kind with the curley blades) and do it twice a week so you don't have to bag
the grass. No oil. No gasoline. Just the sweet smell of cut grass.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Yard maintenance should be a civilized affair. It should involve alcohol and *not* involve stuff like sweating, getting frustrated, stuff like that.
Obviously, you've never had the extreme pleasure of planting 500 buffalo grass plugs by hand...

Quote:
and do it twice a week so you don't have to bag
the grass. No oil. No gasoline.
Here's the payoff for buffalo...it only grows to 4-6 in. high. If you can live with the "prairie look", a dormant lawn in the winter, and no lawn mowing, this is the grass for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque