Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:38 AM

265 posts, read 807,995 times

Advertisements

I have a PO Box because of the occasional bash-ups of cluster mail boxes out here in the East Mountains. It works for me because I have transport, fortunately. What's annoying is how many shippers refuse to ship to PO Boxes - and some financial institutions require you to fill out special request forms just to get their mailings at a PO Box.

The really funny part is that the new trend out here in the sticks is for UPS and FedEx to deliver packages only as far as the local post office, not to your door/gate/driveway - after refusing to accept a PO Box delivery address!! <grumble>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 08:28 AM

265 posts, read 807,995 times
Did you see this on last night's news? Seriously bashed cluster boxes in Tijeras ...

Mail thieves hit four cluster boxes in Tijeras | KOB.com

Old 04-20-2016, 09:16 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,724,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieBelize View Post
Did you see this on last night's news? Seriously bashed cluster boxes in Tijeras ...

Mail thieves hit four cluster boxes in Tijeras | KOB.com
From the article:
Quote:
We've told you how thieves are targeting cluster mailboxes around the metro area, breaking open the boxes and stealing all the mail inside. It now appears the thieves are now branching out into new areas.

Sally Townes, who lives in Tijeras, said her mail was stolen Saturday when thieves pried opened four cluster mailboxes in her neighborhood.

"Just the extent was horrifying,” she said.

She's pretty sure the thieves got away with some of her mail and the big question what kind of mail they stole.

"I talked to the sheriff's department and they said that they can be after prescription drugs that people order,”
I get prescription drugs through the U.S. Mail and FedEx, but nothing a druggy might want...

I thought all you people in Tijeras had high powered rifle's with night vision

Old 04-20-2016, 11:26 AM

201 posts, read 291,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieBelize View Post
The really funny part is that the new trend out here in the sticks is for UPS and FedEx to deliver packages only as far as the local post office, not to your door/gate/driveway - after refusing to accept a PO Box delivery address!! <grumble>
Oh really? I have a PO Box too (Cedar Crest), but Fedex and UPS don't have any issue driving up our windy dead end of a gravel road... unless it's winter. I wonder why they don't deliver to you? I can't imagine your much further out.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM

201 posts, read 291,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
From the article:
I thought all you people in Tijeras had high powered rifle's with night vision
Haha, is that the wrap us east mountain'ers get? :P. I think you'd be surprised that there may be less gun owners out here, then within the city. Granted, I'm always on the lookout for mailbox thieves with my high powered rifle w/ night vision... so what do I know!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:33 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,724,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Haha, is that the wrap us east mountain'ers get? :P. I think you'd be surprised that there may be less gun owners out here, then within the city. Granted, I'm always on the lookout for mailbox thieves with my high powered rifle w/ night vision... so what do I know!
Hehe... I know, have known a few people in the East Mountains. Went shooting out there about 15 years ago at a quarry with some people. They all had rifles. I don't have a rifle, all I had was some pistola's

Old 04-20-2016, 02:18 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnabq1 View Post
Just went to the locked mail boxes next to the office at my apartment complex (Canyon Vista Apartments, 3958 Montgomery NE) and found that some (including mine, of course) had been broken into. I'm elderly and disabled so only check my mail about twice each week, so can't say exactly when it happened. Last time I got my mail was Monday around 6:30 P.M..

I stopped at the apartment office and they already knew. I phoned the P.O. They will hold the mail until the boxes are repaired (P.O. told me one to two weeks, told others six to eight weeks)

I can go to the post office and pickup my mail.
Oh wait, I can't go to the post office and pickup my mail.
There's no public transit; I have no car; I know no one to take me. I'm 70 and disabled. Oh crap!
I'll need use a taxi or Uber.

Fortunately (?) I do my banking online and get little of value in my mail box.

Guess I need to consider a box rental at UPS. At least one's closer to me than the P.O. and I won't need stand in line.
Last time I went to the local post office there were 20+ people in line and two clerks working.
I've used the UPS store for my mail box for years. Among other conveniences, you get their fax service for a small fee, and you can use their computer, if you don't have other access to one. (Your local library would be cheaper for computer use, though.) They can sign for any packages you have delivered, they usually take Saturday delivery of packages, and they'll hold your mail if you ever go out of town for a few weeks. It's a great option, as long as you can afford their mailbox fees. Be aware that difference UPS store locations can have different rates for that. Some offer a discount for signing up, the busier ones don't.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:59 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,780,273 times
What a bunch of scumbags. I hope they seriously get popped, and punished to the fullest extent of the law. So tired of hearing these stories. I relay stories like this to my friends in New Jersey, and they cannot even begin to relate to these crimes.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:52 AM

887 posts, read 1,213,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
What a bunch of scumbags. I hope they seriously get popped, and punished to the fullest extent of the law. So tired of hearing these stories. I relay stories like this to my friends in New Jersey, and they cannot even begin to relate to these crimes.
Pretty stupid too. You have to be pretty hard up for drug money or something to be risking a federal rap in exchange for what are probably close to zero returns. Unless these stooges are scoring actual merchandise they can hawk for cents on a dollar I have no idea what the rewards are. They could grab my mail every day of the year and the most they would have netted was one 100 buck Amazon rewards gift card.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 AM

102 posts, read 113,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Oh really? I have a PO Box too (Cedar Crest), but Fedex and UPS don't have any issue driving up our windy dead end of a gravel road... unless it's winter. I wonder why they don't deliver to you? I can't imagine your much further out.
There is a type of shipping where packages are shipped cross country by UPS or FedEx and then delivered locally by the post office. I've received some that way.

Here's some info:
"FedEx SmartPost® is an economical and reliable service for low-weight business-to-consumer shipments. Ideal for online retailers, FedEx SmartPost picks up and transports your package until the final delivery where we utilize the efficiency of the United States Postal Service® (USPS).
What’s in it for you?

Delivery to 100 percent of U.S. residences, including P.O. boxes and APO/FPO destinations.
Detailed shipment visibility through tracking on fedex.com.
Cost-savings plus convenience, reliability and standard Saturday delivery."

Low Weight Residential Shipping & Returns ? FedEx SmartPost®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque