Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:26 PM

102 posts, read 113,325 times

Advertisements

Just went to the locked mail boxes next to the office at my apartment complex (Canyon Vista Apartments, 3958 Montgomery NE) and found that some (including mine, of course) had been broken into. I'm elderly and disabled so only check my mail about twice each week, so can't say exactly when it happened. Last time I got my mail was Monday around 6:30 P.M..

I stopped at the apartment office and they already knew. I phoned the P.O. They will hold the mail until the boxes are repaired (P.O. told me one to two weeks, told others six to eight weeks)

I can go to the post office and pickup my mail.
Oh wait, I can't go to the post office and pickup my mail.
There's no public transit; I have no car; I know no one to take me. I'm 70 and disabled. Oh crap!
I'll need use a taxi or Uber.

Fortunately (?) I do my banking online and get little of value in my mail box.

Guess I need to consider a box rental at UPS. At least one's closer to me than the P.O. and I won't need stand in line.
Last time I went to the local post office there were 20+ people in line and two clerks working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 07:16 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
There's no public transit on that stretch of Montgomery? Au contraire.

Try the #5 or the #157 buses. They're handicapped-accessible.

If you meant on the PO side the 87109 station is a short walk from the #34 bus (though as a commuter line it's effectively going to be a one way trip for you and will likely get you there past closing).

So perhaps it'd be more accurate to call the public transit useless, rather than nonexistent.

There's also the sun van paratransit service, which will do door-to-door pickups.

A mailbox break-in in the not-best-part-of-town is not really news. People who steal mail often end up getting caught (they inevitably leave a paper trail right to themselves) and given that it's a federal offense it means that they're heavily punished.

Some post offices do suck for lines but a lot of it is time-of-day. Give the paratransit a shot- everyone complains about their taxes, but few take advantage of what they're spending on; though it's not a limo service, it beats shuffling.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Albuquerque seems to have a real problem in this regard. Thieves are targeting the "gang" boxes - meaning those large arrays that have a dozen or more individual mail boxes accessed by opening a single large door. Which is how the mailman delivers the mail to the individual ones. Once a thief pries open the large door, all of the mail slots in that particular structure are exposed.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,894 times
Bob, I'm curious as to why you picked to live there over the Sunchase? I never had any problems at the Sunchase but that was a while ago.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:36 PM

1,043 posts, read 1,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

If you meant on the PO side the 87109 station is a short walk from the #34 bus (though as a commuter line it's effectively going to be a one way trip for you and will likely get you there past closing).

So perhaps it'd be more accurate to call the public transit useless, rather than nonexistent.

There's also the sun van paratransit service, which will do door-to-door pickups.

A mailbox break-in in the not-best-part-of-town is not really news. People who steal mail often end up getting caught (they inevitably leave a paper trail right to themselves) and given that it's a federal offense it means that they're heavily punished.

Some post offices do suck for lines but a lot of it is time-of-day. Give the paratransit a shot- everyone complains about their taxes, but few take advantage of what they're spending on; though it's not a limo service, it beats shuffling.
The 5 is one of the most dependable Albuquerque bus lines. Same for the 157. You could also transfer to the Eubank bus which will drop you off a very short distance (<1 block) from the Eubank/Candelaria post office.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
The 5 is one of the most dependable Albuquerque bus lines. Same for the 157. You could also transfer to the Eubank bus which will drop you off a very short distance (<1 block) from the Eubank/Candelaria post office.
Given that's a different zip code than the one he lives in (87111 vs 87109), it's not going to solve his problem of needing to pick up his mail.

If he, for some reason, wanted to just visit a post office to send something or buy stamps, the one inside Smith's at Louisiana & Montgomery would be possible without a transfer. I'm sure he knows that.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

I am aware buses run along Montgomery. They don't get me anywhere near the P. O.
The hours of operation for the post office make the commuter #34 bus not feasible.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Which is not the location where my mail is being held. It's at 6255 SAN ANTONIO DR NE, ALBUQUERQUE 87109.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Albuquerque seems to have a real problem in this regard. Thieves are targeting the "gang" boxes - meaning those large arrays that have a dozen or more individual mail boxes accessed by opening a single large door. Which is how the mailman delivers the mail to the individual ones. Once a thief pries open the large door, all of the mail slots in that particular structure are exposed.
Googling the problem shows this has been happening all over the country for the past few years.
Apparently local law enforcement does little to nothing about it, saying mail theft is a federal problem;
don't call us, call the FBI.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
Is there a friend you can get to easier on the bus, that you can have your mail forwarded to until the boxes are repaired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque