Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 08:39 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
That happened in California too. Granted, I would expect it more there than here.
Yup. I know some people I work with here in CA were concerned about the Trump rally yesterday in Anaheim, because some Mexicans would "make us look bad". Sure 'nuff, a few did, though I hear it's more of a mixed group that causes problems; not sure about Mexican flag waving this time. Just setting trash receptacles on fire and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 10:03 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I'm embarrassed for ABQ. Many reports are adding on the DOJ investigation angle and making the entire city look like it's all thugs and hooligans. I'm pissed at the violent protestors and the stupid journalists.

A little aside note here - NM has the highest Hispanic population in the country, but don't assume all our Hispanics are from Mexico. One of my client offices caters primarily to the Hispanic market and those descending from Spain kinda take offense to assumptions like that.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:08 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
It doesn't help that some of those people were waving Mexican flags. Buffoons.
Yes, this always bugs me as well. I am 3/4ths of Mexican descent and I am against Trump's rhetoric and ideas with regard to illegal immigration and building a wall along the border at Mexico's expense, but you will never see me waving a Mexican flag. I am proud of my Mexican heritage and love its national culture, a lot of which my family shares, such as mariachi music, but I am not patriotic for Mexico at all. I am a proud American through and through and the only national flag I will ever carry or fly is Old Glory.

I also vehemently oppose the violent protesters and people just looking to cause destruction. There was a report on KRQE where a lady who lives downtown posed the question of how many of these people are actually going to vote, which is my thinking as well. Most of the people causing destruction and being violent are just anarchist-types who don't believe in doing anything productive or peaceful ever. They merely look for opportunities and protests like this to act out on their perverse way of thinking.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I will say that I thought the SWOP peacekeeping volunteers acted courageously.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:10 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
More footage from the Albuquerque protests--multiple Mexican flags being held in mob around cop cars people are jumping in:
I see one, someone observing the "action" is waving a Mexican flag -- big deal -- but I also saw other footage of people wearing American flag bandannas throwing objects at police. I don't think you can honestly tell me that when a candidate spouts the kind of anti-Mexican rhetoric that we have heard from Trump, and his statements encouraging violence inside his rallies, that you are surprised that SOME people are acting out this way. Come on. I think that Trump should have to pay for the vandalism that occurs wherever he appears, not us taxpayers. None of this would have happened if he hadn't said the kinds of things he has said! Hateful words have consequences.

To those who are appalled at the Albuquerque protests, they are still fairly tame compared to some riots that have occurred after sporting events in other cities. A Stanley Cup riot in Montreal in 1993 cost the city $3.7 million, just to give perspective. The Trump rally vandalism in ABQ was estimated to cost $50,000.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:01 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
To those who are appalled at the Albuquerque protests, they are still fairly tame compared to some riots that have occurred after sporting events in other cities. A Stanley Cup riot in Montreal in 1993 cost the city $3.7 million, just to give perspective. The Trump rally vandalism in ABQ was estimated to cost $50,000.
One makes the other ok?

Old 05-27-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think that Trump should have to pay for the vandalism that occurs wherever he appears, not us taxpayers.
I'd prefer if the police could find the people who did it and make them pay.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:24 PM

The current openness of some demographic groups in our country to the idea that offensive speech is not protected is one of the trends pushing me to the right (i.e., toward classical liberal values).

40% of Millennials OK with limiting speech offensive to minorities | Pew Research Center

Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Default Proud of Albuquerque

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
One makes the other ok?
I'm just saying that this incident in ABQ is fairly minor, but it is not OK, and I place the blame for it squarely at the feet of Mr. Trump. I think it is disingenuous for people to claim to be surprised at this behavior when we have seen a pattern of it in other cities where Trump has appeared. Add to that the already tense relations between APD and our citizens, and you are asking for trouble. But once again, the super-wealthy don't pay for the consequences of their words and actions, the "little people" do.

When Albuquerque citizens protested against the Police Dept. in the wake of the James Boyd killing, the protesters were found to be on the "right" side by the DOJ, who found a pattern of excessive force by APD against the citizens of Albuquerque. There again, I place the blame for those riots at the feet of our own police. I am proud of Albuquerque citizens and residents for standing up to any kind of abuse, in the form of police shootings of innocent civilians, or abusive speech from politicians. I do not condone the violence, but neither am I so naive to be surprised by it.

I have to add that our police did a good job this time, I think they are getting the message.

Old 05-28-2016, 12:29 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Paid rabble rousers courtesy of George Soros - same as w/ the Black Lives Matter "protests"
This!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque