Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 4,986 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

This is my first summer in Albuquerque. I moved here from the city of Chicago on 9-1-15, and I absolutely positively love this place. The mild four seasons are great, and I think winter has been my favorite so far. Being an avid bicyclist, there was nothing more glorious than riding around on a 50 degree January day, with Sandia looking like it was covered in powdered sugar against the pristine blue sky. What beauty.

Anyway, as we all know, it's been hot! I'm looking at the extended forecast for the next ten days, and everyday has a high of 99-102. It's been 95+ many days this summer, and June only saw two days where the high didn't reach 90. I've been looking at historical data, and it looks like in past summers, there were many days where the high didn't reach 90. So, does this feel like an extra hot summer to long time residents, or does it feel normal? The days where we don't reach 90 sound awful sweet as I lay here next to my crappy window unit. I admit, I'm having the hardest time adapting to the hot weather, but I still love my new home and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Last edited by NuclearSeason; 07-09-2016 at 10:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 10:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Yes, It is an extra hot summer. Get up very early and do any chores/ physical activities. Stay in til 7 pm and then go out and enjoy a bit of breeze. I would say most summers are milder.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:41 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
NuclearSeason, Welcome to ABQ!

It hit 101 yesterday where we live and it's 71 now this morning (6:41 am)... The weather changes a lot at times. I've been in worse places. We still like the ABQ area.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-10-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 04:07 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
If we can get the monsoonal flow of moisture over the area that helps cool things down. But with high pressure and dry air comes extra high daytime high temperatures. It is usually hotter than normal when there is no monsoon pattern bringing cloud cover and rain. So far this summer we have had very little rain, hence, hotter temperatures. It doesn't feel abnormal to me yet, since summer is far from over.

Drink lots of water. Bicycling is one of the activities that is still tolerable in hot weather, IMO. The breeze helps cool you down. Yesterday I hiked up high in the Sandias where it was in the 70's.

According to one weather map, as of 3:45 pm it is 108 in Phoenix, 103 in El Paso, 99 in Denver, and 96 in Albuquerque.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:28 AM

171 posts, read 218,889 times
My swamp cooler only gets my house temperature down to 84 F these days in the hot afternoon, is this normal?

Old 07-12-2016, 12:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKBL View Post
My swamp cooler only gets my house temperature down to 84 F these days in the hot afternoon, is this normal?
That could be normal... A lot depends on the outside humidity. The more humid outside, the less cooling effect you will have. Make sure you have enough windows open so the air will exhaust. All the "swamp cooler" does is push air into your house, it has to go somewhere...

Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKBL View Post
Our coolers keep it at a pleasant 75-76, and would take it lower if we lowered the temp. We replaced our 15 years old coolers last year with Breezairs and what a difference.

Poncho is right about the air flow and you need to let us much air out as the coolers push in. You have to keep your pads fresh and change them regularly. Some thinner flexible pads need to be changed a couple of times a year, whereas the more rigid thicker pads may last 5 years. Depending on the hardness of your water, you also need to make sure that the holes are clear that drip the water onto the pads.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:04 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, temps are trending upwards. Winters have been milder, with less snow than in previous decades, summers--hotter. Climatologists are saying warmer and dryer is what to expect.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That could be normal... A lot depends on the outside humidity. The more humid outside, the less cooling effect you will have. Make sure you have enough windows open so the air will exhaust. All the "swamp cooler" does is push air into your house, it has to go somewhere...
Thanks. The windows are wide open. May have to change the pads.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Our coolers keep it at a pleasant 75-76, and would take it lower if we lowered the temp. We replaced our 15 years old coolers last year with Breezairs and what a difference.

Poncho is right about the air flow and you need to let us much air out as the coolers push in. You have to keep your pads fresh and change them regularly. Some thinner flexible pads need to be changed a couple of times a year, whereas the more rigid thicker pads may last 5 years. Depending on the hardness of your water, you also need to make sure that the holes are clear that drip the water onto the pads.
75-76 is perfect. Will change pads to see that makes any difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque