Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:22 AM

134 posts, read 188,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyrye View Post
My parent's older home in the North Valley is infested with sewer roaches. There is a service set up through the water authority that will come out and spray the sewers. They are overloaded due to lack of funding/man power- residents can go to the web site to submit the request, the wait time is usually 2-3 weeks. There is also an infectious diseases team that sprays the acequia (ditches) for mosquitos because it is a problem. Our new home in the far NE section of town has the large german cockroach with wings, however we see spiders and army ants. Depends on where you live, the age of the sewers (Valley) and living near the ditches. Many people have regular service to spray their homes inside/out. We don't sit outside anymore in the Valley or in Corrales unless we have all treated or fogged the yard.
Wow, so many reassuring posts and then this curve ball! Can you say more exactly where you live? NE Heights near Tramway? What exactly are "the ditches"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
Wow, so many reassuring posts and then this curve ball! Can you say more exactly where you live? NE Heights near Tramway? What exactly are "the ditches"?
It is not as simple as you would like it... Bugs and insects live almost anywhere as long as they have food and shelter. Sounds like humans, huh? I exterminate one to three times a year, inside and outside. Black widows are very common in this area... (Just saw one outside in the yard today, got em...).

If anyone tells you there are no bugs, they are is either exterminated as needed, or they don't see them..

Quote:
The least buggy metro areas in the U.S. with almost no demand for pest removal include El Paso, Texas, Fresno, California and Santa Cruz, California. Phew.
Reference: https://www.thumbtack.com/blog/buggiestcities/

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-19-2016 at 12:55 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is not as simple as you would like it... Bugs and insects live almost anywhere as long as they have food and shelter. Sounds like humans, huh? I exterminate one to three times a year, inside and outside. Black widows are very common in this area... (Just saw one outside in the yard today, got em...).
Hmm, I don't really have the simplistic view that there are places without bugs!

I've lived on Earth my whole life quite comfortably - alongside bugs! This thread is really all about asking how ABQ stacks up against what we have here in Atlanta, particularly in regards to roaches and mosquitoes. So far what people are saying tells me that the bug load in ABQ would probably work for me, especially after the extreme bug load I've lived with for the last few years.

The last comment stood out, compared to many responses on here, so I'm curious. Thanks for your insight too Sounds like spraying is needed, possibly not as often as here in the South. Our first apt building here was sprayed every month and we still had large roaches (palmetto bugs) running around on a regular basis. Which happens of course, but I just don't want to feel under siege anymore.

The last post referenced North Valley/Corralles. I'm leaning towards far NE Heights/Sandia Heights for us, not just for bugs but for other quality of life reasons. Again, I know there will be bugs and wildlife there too!

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-19-2016 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 01:19 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Quote:
What exactly are "the ditches"?
On the one or two days of the year where there's enough rain to cause runoff, Albuquerque is crisscrossed by multiple creeks with running water like you'd find in the rest of the country (Atlanta's rather pathetic for an east coast city in terms of river size; the Chattahoochee is even smaller than the Rio Grande, itself rather small).

The rest of the year, those creeks are dry. Most have been lined with cement. One-third of the locals call them ditches, the other two-thirds call them arroyos. About once every five years a moron has to be pulled from one when it's pouring rain. Daily they are used as shortcuts for pedestrians, bicyclists, and especially skateboarders, hangouts for the homeless, convenient venues for drug dealing, and a fun place to send shopping carts. For some reason they abut parks throughout the city, meaning you're in for it if you lose your ball in one.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
On the one or two days of the year where there's enough rain to cause runoff, Albuquerque is crisscrossed by multiple creeks with running water like you'd find in the rest of the country (Atlanta's rather pathetic for an east coast city in terms of river size; the Chattahoochee is even smaller than the Rio Grande, itself rather small).

The rest of the year, those creeks are dry. Most have been lined with cement. One-third of the locals call them ditches, the other two-thirds call them arroyos. About once every five years a moron has to be pulled from one when it's pouring rain. Daily they are used as shortcuts for pedestrians, bicyclists, and especially skateboarders, hangouts for the homeless, convenient venues for drug dealing, and a fun place to send shopping carts. For some reason they abut parks throughout the city, meaning you're in for it if you lose your ball in one.

Very educational and funny, thanks Zoidberg

I have come across the word 'arroyo' before, now I know what it is. I think I see the thin lines of blue on Google maps. Yes, they are all over the place!

People go on about the Chattahoochee here but I rarely lay eyes on it. I see it mostly from overpasses as I occasionally drive over it. Growing up in London with the Thames, the Chattahoochee is a big 'whatever' for me. I look forward to exploring the banks of the Rio Grande someday, (we didn't have time to check out Tingley Beach etc on our visit this spring). I just won't be living next to it, lol.[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 PM

329 posts, read 511,953 times
alisonrs- I share your phobia of roaches. I had a traumatic experience with them while going to art school in Savannah, Georgia. Spiders don't bug me, snakes and lizards don't bug me, but roaches do.

We moved out here last month and I've found quite a few black roaches outside, in the garage and one inside. We live in a brand new townhouse complex in the NE area. Everybody says it's because the area is older and that includes the sewers. I've sprayed every nook and cranny outside and in the garage but I may get a professional to come do service every couple of months. Although it may not solve the problem it may psychologically give me a little more peace of mind.

It's funny we moved here from Huntsville, Alabama and I didn't have a roach problem at all and that was in the south!

Old 05-25-2017, 06:07 PM

Albuquerque residents noticing more flying cockroaches
By KRQE News 13 Published: August 22, 2016, 6:30 am

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – This summer, many people in Albuquerque are noticing a pesky problem. Warmer temperatures have led to more flying cockroaches."

“A lot of people have told me, ‘I’ve never really had this issue before, what’s going on?” Marshall Baker with RoadRunner Public Health said. “And I need to explain to them, it’s a lot to do with the weather, the warm temperatures, having water.”

"Water faucets, cool and dark areas attract the roaches. Experts say they will be more likely to get into your home through door sweeps and screens.

Any light peaking through doors also provides easy access for the bugs."

Albuquerque residents noticing more flying cockroaches | KRQE News 13

Also:

Good baits can help prevent nasty home cockroach invasions
By Richard Fagerlund/Ask the Bugman
Updated: Wednesday, August 14th, 2013 at 3:19pm

https://www.abqjournal.com/247348/go...invasions.html

Old 05-26-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingsoc75 View Post

We moved out here last month and I've found quite a few black roaches outside, in the garage and one inside. We live in a brand new townhouse complex in the NE area. Everybody says it's because the area is older and that includes the sewers. I've sprayed every nook and cranny outside and in the garage but I may get a professional to come do service every couple of months. Although it may not solve the problem it may psychologically give me a little more peace of mind.
Well this is definitely a fear of mine; finding that's it's just as bad, or worse, than here in Atlanta. We're moving to abq next month and I'm really wondering what neighborhoods would have the least risk of the roach load you describe. After further research I'm quite drawn to the north valley, but concerned that will mean both roaches and mosquitoes

Are you willing to say what neighborhood you are in?

Also wouldn't 'older area' and 'old sewer' apply to almost all neighborhoods in ABQ?

Old 05-26-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Also wouldn't 'older area' and 'old sewer' apply to almost all neighborhoods in ABQ?
There are new neighborhoods being built in ABQ and the surrounding areas... But what does "older area" really mean? Albuquerque goes back earlier than the 1800's...

Old 05-26-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Albuquerque residents noticing more flying cockroaches
By KRQE News 13 Published: August 22, 2016, 6:30 am

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – This summer, many people in Albuquerque are noticing a pesky problem. Warmer temperatures have led to more flying cockroaches."

“A lot of people have told me, ‘I’ve never really had this issue before, what’s going on?” Marshall Baker with RoadRunner Public Health said. “And I need to explain to them, it’s a lot to do with the weather, the warm temperatures, having water.”

"Water faucets, cool and dark areas attract the roaches. Experts say they will be more likely to get into your home through door sweeps and screens.

Any light peaking through doors also provides easy access for the bugs."

[url=http://krqe.com/2016/08/22/albuquerque-residents-noticing-more-flying-cockroaches/]Albuquerque residents noticing more flying cockroaches | KRQE News 13
Well, again, I'm rather confused. People say they never had this problem before, yet when have 'warm temperatures' and 'having water' not been a fact of life in ABQ? Was this reporting on an unusually hot or wet summer?

Again, what parts of town have fewer of these devil bugs? Do I need to live in rio rancho to get a 'new' sewer lol?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque