Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 PM

134 posts, read 188,987 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Atlanta GA with my husband. We moved here from San Francisco 2.5 years ago for his job. I adored San Francisco but feel only varying degrees of hate for Atlanta! I should mention I'm originally from London UK and my husband is a native Californian. We have both spent our lives around diversity, culture and a vibrant urban environment.

To me, Atlanta is soulless, ugly, relentlessly suburban, unwalkable and contains a high percentage of ignorant, insular people with a limited world view. Combine that with a crappy rental market (overpriced, poor quality units and arrogant, overly empowered landlords), unbearably humid summers, BUGS, twice the precipitation of London (Google it lol!) and the same monotonous scenery everywhere you look - we are ready to be done. We are hoping my husband will be able to work remotely next year and if he can we are seriously considering ABQ.

We visited in April and found a lot that we liked. The compact feel of the city, the mellower traffic, the low buildings that made everything feel human scaled. I personally love the desert and the ancient feel of the land. And the fact you can SEE the land around you wherever you are in ABQ. The dry air is like heaven to me and my skin and hair agree! We found the people genuine and the cultural blend was unique and fascinating. The food was spectacular. And being back in the cultural sphere of the West and much closer to family and friends on the West Coast would be a huge plus.

So... Has anyone moved from Atlanta to ABQ? What's different and what's similar? Also, has anyone moved from San Francisco to ABQ? Are you happy with your move? What does ABQ have to offer people from these very different parts of the country and what does it lack that was better 'back home'? Is ABQ the cultural and geographical sanctuary from the backward culture of the South we seek, or will it be out of the frying pan into the fire?

Last edited by alisonrs; 07-10-2016 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 11:31 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Being originally from here, can say the following:

Albuquerque's weather is very similar to Atlanta's, except slightly less wet. Temperature ranges are similar year-round. Hot summers and cold winters are the norm for both cities. We get our moisture in summer instead of winter. What's an umbrella?

Atlanta doesn't have the market cornered on jerky landlords, though thankfully I've never had to deal with Albuquerque landlords firsthand. Hit or miss here. Pine trees (they're called piñon here) are pathetically short and only tend to grow at high altitudes (>6000 feet).

SF is like a different planet compared to here. In many ways, we're much more like Atlanta than there. Still, we win the title for best traffic, best layout, best size.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
To me, Atlanta is soulless, ugly, relentlessly suburban, unwalkable and contains a high percentage of ignorant, insular people with a limited world view.
I hope everyone else covers their eyes for this, but I'm not sure you would really be getting away from the part I have bolded. There are an awful lot of people here who don't seem too interested in what's beyond their immediate lives, their family and friends, and everyday concerns. I find that even among highly educated co-workers (more educated than me in many cases), I don't see the mix of concerns and perspectives I found in Philadelphia (not one of the places you asked about for comparison, I realize). There is quite a bit of interest in the arts (especially visual art), so that doesn't really fit with what I'm saying. Some of it might be a lack of overlap between what interests are a priority to me and what interests are a priority to most people around me.

Some examples (not verbatim) of things I heard from a former co-worker (of sorts) who came from a small town somewhere south of Albuquerque: those people don't know how to live (re: demonstrations in Egypt), Russia doesn't have anything, I don't care about what we do in other countries as long as there are no boots on the ground, I just want someone who is going to legalize pot, etc.

In fairness, of course we all have a "limited world view" and it's not as though I have nothing to learn from the people around me.

Much of Albuquerque is quasi-suburban, or at least certainly not very walkable. That doesn't bother me so much at this point since I am looking for something more quasi-suburban these days.

Quote:
I personally love the desert and the ancient feel of the land. And the fact you can SEE the land around you wherever you are in ABQ.
I still enjoy that you can see where the city comes to an end, but along with that comes somes a culture shaped by some degree of isolation. Density or lack of density are both double-edged swords. Fewer people: more limited cultural institutions. There just isn't the critical mass (or capital) to support the sort of cultural institutions that exist not just inside, but all around the city I moved from.

On the other hand, if you want to access to wild areas, it's here. And if you want to challenge yourself by facing cultures that are very different from what you're used to, you have that opportunity.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:22 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
To be a little more blunt about it. . . In my experiences with Philadelphia's large African-American population, I found that for many (not all!) African-Americans, not knowing things (things not related to everyday life or at least things that weren't obvious, maybe stereotypical, parts of black culture, "white people things," etc.) was a badge of honor. Maybe that is common in Atlanta? Here, I find that for many (not all!) Hispanics, especially lower to lower middle class Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites, it's more a matter of indifference, which seems preferable to me.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:05 PM

811 posts, read 2,941,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

Albuquerque's weather is very similar to Atlanta's, except slightly less wet. Temperature ranges are similar year-round. Hot summers and cold winters are the norm for both cities. We get our moisture in summer instead of winter. What's an umbrella?

Atlanta doesn't have the market cornered on jerky landlords, though thankfully I've never had to deal with Albuquerque landlords firsthand. Hit or miss here. Pine trees (they're called piñon here) are pathetically short and only tend to grow at high altitudes (>6000 feet).

SF is like a different planet compared to here. In many ways, we're much more like Atlanta than there. Still, we win the title for best traffic, best layout, best size.

I disagree with the weather being similar to Atlanta's, Albuquerque is on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the humidity in Atlanta.

As for Pine trees, you do understand that while Pinon trees and Pine trees are basically from the same family of trees. They are distinctively different, Piñon trees are shorter and grow edible pine nuts (piñon) while the Pine trees known as Ponderosa Pines grow much larger and are typically found at higher elevations than Piñon trees.

Last edited by observe; 07-11-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 07-11-2016, 12:32 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
I disagree with the weather being similar to Atlanta's, Albuquerque is on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the humidity in Atlanta.
I did say it was less wet in Albuquerque. According to city-data, Atlanta swings 80%/60%RH while Albuquerque swings about 60%/30%RH. Not a huge difference, particularly considering the other similarities in climate.

Neither of those is particularly extreme. Compare New Orleans or Houston (90/70) with Phoenix (40/20).

Everyone thinks Atlanta is all hot and sticky because the south is all the same, but Atlanta's inland and high enough in altitude that it comes up far drier than most people realize.

Quote:
As for Pine trees, you do understand that while Pinon trees and Pine trees are basically from the same family of trees.
Completely missed my point. Atlanta is a city of pine trees that grow far higher than anything out here.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

Well I don't know what you call similar: we lived in VA, as well as Dallas and NM. There is absolutely no similarities in east coast weather and ABQ. One of the nicest things about ABQ is the wonderful, year around weather. The summers are very dry, days rarely above 90 or so, lots of sunshine and cool nights. Winters are certainly colder than Atlanta unless there is an unusual year.

Pinon trees in NM have the pine nuts that are so popular and so expensive.

You are right about how different San Francisco is. In fact the 3 cities are as different as night and day from each other. We have lived in the bay area as well as ABQ and as I mentioned No. Va, just outside of DC. dcdte a

Old 07-11-2016, 07:01 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
To be a little more blunt about it. . . In my experiences with Philadelphia's large African-American population, I found that for many (not all!) African-Americans, not knowing things (things not related to everyday life or at least things that weren't obvious, maybe stereotypical, parts of black culture, "white people things," etc.) was a badge of honor. Maybe that is common in Atlanta? Here, I find that for many (not all!) Hispanics, especially lower to lower middle class Hispanics and non-Hispanic whites, it's more a matter of indifference, which seems preferable to me.
OP never mentioned race, so why are you making an issue of it? Are you assuming the OP has no problem with ignorant whites in Atlanta, only African Americans?

Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
I hope everyone else covers their eyes for this, but I'm not sure you would really be getting away from the part I have bolded. There are an awful lot of people here who don't seem too interested in what's beyond their immediate lives, their family and friends, and everyday concerns. I find that even among highly educated co-workers (more educated than me in many cases), I don't see the mix of concerns and perspectives I found in Philadelphia (not one of the places you asked about for comparison, I realize). There is quite a bit of interest in the arts (especially visual art), so that doesn't really fit with what I'm saying. Some of it might be a lack of overlap between what interests are a priority to me and what interests are a priority to most people around me.

I think it's because a lot of residents here are from here. They've never really been outside the state, some I've met have been to Santa Fe and that's about it. And these are folks my age - mid 40s to mid 50s. The focus here is more on family. It's what gives ABQ much of it's charm and friendliness. But it's also a double edged sword - it's also what makes it very tough to do business here when you need technology for productivity and no one seems to care. They have no other frame of reference so it's not an urgent issue.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
I currently live in Atlanta GA with my husband. We moved here from San Francisco 2.5 years ago for his job. I adored San Francisco but feel only varying degrees of hate for Atlanta! I should mention I'm originally from London UK and my husband is a native Californian. We have both spent our lives around diversity, culture and a vibrant urban environment.

To me, Atlanta is soulless, ugly, relentlessly suburban, unwalkable and contains a high percentage of ignorant, insular people with a limited world view. Combine that with a crappy rental market (overpriced, poor quality units and arrogant, overly empowered landlords), unbearably humid summers, BUGS, twice the precipitation of London (Google it lol!) and the same monotonous scenery everywhere you look - we are ready to be done. We are hoping my husband will be able to work remotely next year and if he can we are seriously considering ABQ.

We visited in April and found a lot that we liked. The compact feel of the city, the mellower traffic, the low buildings that made everything feel human scaled. I personally love the desert and the ancient feel of the land. And the fact you can SEE the land around you wherever you are in ABQ. The dry air is like heaven to me and my skin and hair agree! We found the people genuine and the cultural blend was unique and fascinating. The food was spectacular. And being back in the cultural sphere of the West and much closer to family and friends on the West Coast would be a huge plus.

So... Has anyone moved from Atlanta to ABQ? What's different and what's similar? Also, has anyone moved from San Francisco to ABQ? Are you happy with your move? What does ABQ have to offer people from these very different parts of the country and what does it lack that was better 'back home'? Is ABQ the cultural and geographical sanctuary from the backward culture of the South we seek, or will it be out of the frying pan into the fire?
Just curious if you even checked out Atlanta before you moved there. You bring up some pretty significant things you don't like. Of course Atlanta will be way different than San Francisco. You will also know that for all the goodness of San Francisco and it's sophistication you will pay dearly. The only reason landlords might appear empowered to you in Atlanta is maybe because they don't have all the rental restrictions placed on them like they do in San Francisco.
I moved from the San Fran Bay area to Atlanta and the landlords seem no different. Actually a bit easier. I think based on what you say Albq will not be a good fit for you. I would imagine the weather seems fine there because you went in Spring. I'll bet Summer will be much different

Why not just move back to SF? I think both SF and Atlanta are considered top tier cities whereas Albq is a tier lower. I'm not saying Albq is bad, but based on what you posted I don't think it will be what you expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque