Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,323,427 times

Advertisements

I am not sure if this goes in the Phoenix forum or the Albuquerque forum, so I will post it here in the Albuquerque forum.

Does anyone think there is a possibility that Allegiant might start flights to Albuquerque to/from Mesa Gateway Airport? PHX (along with LAX) are among the top O&D destinations from ABQ, and perhaps some Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert/Queen Creek residents who have ties to Albuquerque might prefer to fly from AZA. Are ties to Albuquerque stronger in the East Valley or in the West Valley of the Phoenix metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,827 times
I don't think it matters where you land/take off from in Phoenix to most travelers between the cities. Plenty of people from Tucson don't even use their own airport (which has no nonstops to Albuquerque anymore anyway). If they brought a $59 one-way nonstop to AZA, the planes would be full. Southwest is never less than $100 unless you book multiple months in advance. Similar with "the new American".

Getting onto Allegiant's network would be great but they have more opportunities from LAS, which has reasonably-priced nonstops from Albuquerque on Southwest and Allegiant already. We were in dire need of service to Austin which they brought as well. Hopefully Albuquerque will grow on them and they'll return the favor.

The limited information I have about New Mexicans in Phoenixland are two clusters- near Intel on the extreme southern edge in Chandler, and north central Phoenix because for whatever reason that's the closest on the drive home.

So to answer your question, it's a little of both.

Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Getting onto Allegiant's network would be great but they have more opportunities from LAS, which has reasonably-priced nonstops from Albuquerque on Southwest and Allegiant already. We were in dire need of service to Austin which they brought as well. Hopefully Albuquerque will grow on them and they'll return the favor.
I know as with JetBlue and Alaska, the city is providing Allegiant with a two-year incentive program with waived landing fees and discounts on the rent. The incentives for JetBlue expired last year, and the incentives for Alaska are expected to expire this September. JetBlue has managed to hang around despite the incentives expiring, and we will see what Alaska does. Allegiant is adding flights to LAX in October, so this could be a sign they are doing reasonably well at ABQ.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 AM

201 posts, read 291,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I know as with JetBlue and Alaska, the city is providing Allegiant with a two-year incentive program with waived landing fees and discounts on the rent. The incentives for JetBlue expired last year, and the incentives for Alaska are expected to expire this September. JetBlue has managed to hang around despite the incentives expiring, and we will see what Alaska does. Allegiant is adding flights to LAX in October, so this could be a sign they are doing reasonably well at ABQ.
Oh wow, really? Is this why I can find such awesome affordable non-stop flights from Seattle to ABQ? I hope said incentives are renewed then! Alaska is the best consumer airline in the USA as far as I'm concerned.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Oh wow, really? Is this why I can find such awesome affordable non-stop flights from Seattle to ABQ? I hope said incentives are renewed then! Alaska is the best consumer airline in the USA as far as I'm concerned.
The incentives cannot be renewed per FAA rules, since after a period of time they are no longer considered a new entrant airline, otherwise this would be unfairly discriminatory to other airlines at ABQ. These incentives are intended to recruit new airlines to an airport, are intended to be temporary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: