Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 02:08 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,935,498 times

Advertisements

What are the best places in Albuquerque for a complete beginner to go to, for firearms training? Do most of the shooting ranges offer something of this sort?

At this point I am not looking for any sophisticated tactical training. I would just like to learn enough to be comfortable going to shooting ranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 9,776 times
You might try Calibers.....

https://calibersusa.com/

Old 07-31-2016, 06:20 PM

I'm considering them. They get pretty mixed reviews though.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:46 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Calibers appears to be the game in town. They have an indoor range, but not even sure where it is located (they seem to have moved around). I have not fired a weapon in New Mexico in over 15 years. I do not currently know anyone else in this area who provides firearm training.

I would contact someone at the City of Albuquerque Shooting Range Park at 505-836-8785. Someone there might be able to help. I know some instructors have used the facility in the past in instruct.

Their website: Shooting Range Park

Old 08-02-2016, 10:37 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Calibers appears to be the game in town. They have an indoor range, but not even sure where it is located (they seem to have moved around).
Washington and Cutler, just north of I-40. They may have another one on the west side too.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:06 AM

887 posts, read 1,215,123 times
I'm not even sure there was much offered in professional training years back when I first began shooting. Some basics from my dad and years later friendly drill instructors at Ft. Leonard Wood.

Where I am at you do need certain approved courses for a carry permit for handguns. Obviously there is a lot more to be concerned about if you are going to be walking around with a loaded handgun in or on your pants. I'm not sure what your interest is. Are you looking to just do some target practice now and again? Rifle or handgun or both? I would think if you just visited one of the ranges out there a couple times you could easily find someone there that would be thrilled to run through the basics with you, preferably with a .22. Most of it is just common sense safety and some instruction on your sight picture.

The one outdoor range that was near me closed down long ago and indoor ranges are expensive and just not something I would like so it's been decades since I last fired anything.

Kinda funny story on changing times. Back in '66 I used to take a cased 22 rifle on the SCHOOL BUS and leave it in my SCHOOL LOCKER all day long for after school rifle club. Innocent era I surely miss.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
Where I am at you do need certain approved courses for a carry permit for handguns. Obviously there is a lot more to be concerned about if you are going to be walking around with a loaded handgun in or on your pants. I'm not sure what your interest is. Are you looking to just do some target practice now and again? Rifle or handgun or both? I would think if you just visited one of the ranges out there a couple times you could easily find someone there that would be thrilled to run through the basics with you, preferably with a .22. Most of it is just common sense safety and some instruction on your sight picture.
I don't think I want to go for a concealed carry permit. In some ways I like the idea of concealed carry, but it also sounds like a pain in the butt. I wouldn't be allowed to bring a handgun to work (concealed or not), too, so it seems somwhat pointless to get a concealed carry permit I wouldn't actually use most of the time.

I just want to learn the basics of using handguns and possibly rifles and maybe end up keeping one or the other (or both) in my apartment or car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: