Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 2,991 times

Advertisements

Exactly.

I can't be bribed or bought. I don't come from poverty nor do I tolerate anyone who does show dishonesty.

I come from a family of cops, I respect the law and I respect following the rules to the T.

I haven't talked myself into it, this is a career change at mid life and its a path I've wanted to follow for a long time.

You make it sound like all CO's are bad, which is just a shame. Majority of CO's are good people who dedicate themselves to this not for the money or paycheck but because they care about their community.

Did you have a bad experience in prison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:00 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,184,329 times
On second thought, I think you should stick with your current career.

You come in here with a badge you made yourself, pretending to seek advice, lashing out at those who offer it to you, and escalating an argument after you get the answer you had in mind to begin with. Bullying behavior, unbecoming of anybody granted the privilege and responsibility of a badge.

This looks like a textbook example of the bad kind of prison guard. Not necessarily the kind who ends up wearing stripes himself, but more like the kind that I read about that ends up denying an inmate medical care and his county pays out a $3 million settlement ($3 million of my tax dollars) to the next of kin as quietly as possible.

I've never been to prison, thank you very much. I recommend the same for you.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:17 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCorrections View Post
You make it sound like all CO's are bad, which is just a shame. Majority of CO's are good people who dedicate themselves to this not for the money or paycheck but because they care about their community.

Did you have a bad experience in prison?
No one thinks all COs are bad. It's the usual bell curve... some are exceptional role models for other COs and inmates alike. We need more of them as these people get promoted out of the daily CO routine. Most fall into the middle ground - they know their job and do it well. Some others should find a different career. Among that last group you will find a few who define their job as a tool of "punishment" when their job is "custody". You will find some who have been COs too long or have the attitude that they "have seen it all" and disregard an urgent situation. There are a few who are unable to withstand temptation or the pressure and get into trouble. Staff shortages, insufficient supervision, and excessive overtime makes that last group - the low end - a potential liability.

Being a CO is largely a thankless job. Even with technology, a correctional institution is a labor intensive institution. It takes five staff positions to fill one 24/7 CO position and there are dozens if not hundreds of those 24/7 slots, depending on the size of the facility...hence the mandatory overtime. Hiring is dependent on the availability of funds (in a cash-strapped jurisdiction) and qualified and willing applicants. At any given time there will be a lot of new-ish COs on the job testing the water and many will not stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque