Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:20 PM

10 posts, read 36,099 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I keep on hearing about the 4 quadrants in ABQ, can someone please explain this to me

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 07:44 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Look at a map of ABQ. Interstate I-25 and I-40 divide the area up into generally 4 quadrants... More or less. I have heard some say that crime stays south of I-40 (which is not true). Etc...

It's just the four general areas...

Sometimes the dividing lines were Central Avenue and I forget which north/south streets were used.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:13 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Sometimes the dividing lines were Central Avenue and I forget which north/south streets were used.
The railroad tracks (between Broadway/Edith and 2nd St) are the official dividing line for E-W.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:11 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Look at a map of ABQ. Interstate I-25 and I-40 divide the area up into generally 4 quadrants... More or less. I have heard some say that crime stays south of I-40 (which is not true). Etc...

It's just the four general areas...

It is not a "more or less" thing or a "sometimes" thing, and has nothing to do with the interstates. It is very specific: every address in Albuquerque is in one of the four quadrants: NW, NE, SW, SE. The dividing lines are Central Avenue (N-S) and the railroad (E-W). Many other cities use a similar system, like Washington DC.

The main post office is at 1135 Broadway NE. It lies south of I-40 and west of I-25. It is "NE" because it is north of Central and east of the railroad.

Addresses are differentiated by these quadrant designations. 300 San Mateo NE is a different address from 300 San Mateo SE. The numbering starts at Central and increases as you head in either direction. The same for the east-west designations. 1500 Lomas Blvd. NW is not the same as 1500 Lomas Blvd. NE. Again, the numbering starts at zero at the railroad and goes up in either direction. Generally each block adds 100 to the street address. So an address that is 1500 is going to be about 15 blocks from the dividing line.

Old 10-30-2016, 12:12 PM

10 posts, read 36,099 times
Ok, now I understand. I research a map of ABQ, and see what you guys are talking about.

Again, Thank you

Old 10-30-2016, 03:50 PM

102 posts, read 113,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The dividing lines are Central Avenue (N-S) and the railroad (E-W).
Isn't it Central and 1st?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:17 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,405,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnabq1 View Post
Isn't it Central and 1st?
No. All addresses on 1st Ave. are NW or SW. The railroad alone is the dividing line.

This system goes back to the time after the railroad went through in the late 1800s. The interstates weren't built through the city until about 1957 and had no impact on the existing system of street addresses.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:13 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Quote:
Again, the numbering starts at zero at the railroad and goes up in either direction. Generally each block adds 100 to the street address. So an address that is 1500 is going to be about 15 blocks from the dividing line.
There are exceptions; Hotel Circle NE, for instance, is certainly far enough from Central to merit an address number in the hundreds if not thousands, but "45 Hotel Circle NE" is an address. Not sure if it was able to do so by deliberately platting outside the city limits before it was annexed, or something else happened.

Quote:
No. All addresses on 1st Ave. are NW or SW. The railroad alone is the dividing line.
1st Street, not Avenue.

Some additional trivia about Albuquerque's street names:

"Street" or "Drive" is a north-south street.
"Avenue" or "Road" is an east-west street.
"Boulevard" can be either.

I have no doubt there are exceptions to be found (especially since many streets, mine included, curve and curl) but the rule is pretty handy.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:51 PM

102 posts, read 113,354 times
Quote:
You are correct.
" The north-south dividing line is Central Avenue (the path that Route 66 took through the city) and the east-west dividing line is the BNSF Railway tracks"
Albuquerque Quadrants |

Old 11-06-2016, 12:29 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,386 times
To throw in another monkey wrench, when people refer to the "west side" they are referring to west of the river (Rio Grande). Not necessarily the west quadrants. So I live in the SW quadrant but east of the river and am not considered to live on the west side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque