Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 05:40 PM

60 posts, read 68,735 times

Advertisements

I'm from houston & need advice where to go snowboarding. We have a 3.5 year old so tubing is a must & ski school for the child. We don't care about lots of runs being open. We are beginner snowboarders. We want to go in March.

Spring break is typically in march, anyone know which weekends might be less crowded due to spring break not starting yet in NM?

My concern is getting to the resort. Are their coach buses available? My husband considered driving to resort but we are southerners & driving in the snow terrifies me! So I want to take a bus to resort.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 11:19 PM

201 posts, read 288,160 times
Nothing but bad experiences with Texans in both NM and CO. I hope you are not the typical stereotype we all sigh about.

That said, March is cutting it close to end of season, and this it not a prime year by any means (despite this week being a nice storm moving in). Being that the snow may be iffy, you'll definitely need to look towards Taos, Wolf Creek, and/or Durango (or further north if you so desire). And for fu-ks sake, please use your blinkers and typical west coast driving rules (of which Texans doesn't follow for sheet). Cheers

Old 01-05-2017, 07:09 AM

2,061 posts, read 2,361,152 times
Since when do New Mexicans use their blinkers??

A co-worker speaks highly of Durango/Purgatory (and Wolf Creek). Both her adult kids love snowboarding and they are all going to Purgatory for a family vacation. Don't know much else about it.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,518,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C62012 View Post

I'm from houston & need advice where to go snowboarding. We have a 3.5 year old so tubing is a must & ski school for the child. We don't care about lots of runs being open. We are beginner snowboarders. We want to go in March.

Spring break is typically in march, anyone know which weekends might be less crowded due to spring break not starting yet in NM?

My concern is getting to the resort. Are their coach buses available? My husband considered driving to resort but we are southerners & driving in the snow terrifies me! So I want to take a bus to resort.

Any advice is much appreciated.
You might look at these web pages about, Ski and snowboard in Albuquerque at the Sandia Peak Ski Area:

Albuquerque Skiing | Sandia Peaks | Visit Albuquerque
Skiing in New Mexico | New Mexico Ski Resorts | Visit Albuquerque
Sandia Peak Ski & Tramway - Sandia Peak Tramway
I am not aware of any coach buses going up to the peak, but there might be. We live in the ABQ area but are not snow enthusiasts anymore. Sandia Peak is not a resort with lodging. The drive up to the peak is safe and kept clear.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:01 PM

2,061 posts, read 2,361,152 times
Sorry but I did not read your post that well the first time. There is supposed to be shuttle service from the Albuquerque airport to the town of Taos and a shuttle in Taos from hotels to the ski area. I noticed from their website that the Taos Ski Valley children's ski classes start at age 4 but you could ask about this. Taos also has a tubing park. Spring break for University of NM is March 12-19 and for the Albuquerque Public School System is March 20-24. Those are the largest educational institutions in the area and other smaller colleges and schools will have different times.

Angel Fire and Red River are both near Taos and are supposed to be better for beginners and family friendly. Angel Fire has a tubing park and a shuttle to the ski area. But I could not find a shuttle from ABQ to those towns or a shuttle around town in Red River. And those resorts are less likely than Taos to have good snow conditions in March. Your best bet would be to call and ask about transportation, etc.

Old 01-06-2017, 01:58 PM

142 posts, read 250,847 times
If Sandia (other side of the mountain from Albuquerque) is still open then it would be a great little beginner/kid starting place. You can take the tram from the east side of Albuquerque to the top of the mountain which will involve no snow driving. Otherwise Ski Santa Fe is great as well (and I think there is a shuttle up to the ski area, but the road is easy , just twisty but generally clear unless in an active storm). Neither of these ski areas are 'resorts.' If you want a resort, Taos would probably be the best choice in NM, but also isn't very beginner friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque