Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 10:25 AM

7,297 posts, read 12,201,696 times

Advertisements

It's official:
https://www.abqjournal.com/920810/ma...all-store.html

Macy's will be closing its Cottonwood Mall location, leaving the Coronado Center location as the only location in Albuquerque. While I no longer live in NM, when I did this was my mom's favorite store to shop at Cottonwood, since we lived in Rio Rancho.

Lately most of my Macy's purchases have been online when they have their free shipping over $25 sales. I used those opportunities to buy two IZOD Advantage Polo shirts at a time either for myself or friends/family combined with a $15 off $40 coupon, which is almost like getting two shirts for the price of one without free shipping or coupons.

With the loss of two anchor stores at Cottonwood Mall (the other loss being Sports Authority which went under), I wonder what will be the mall's future. Simon Property Group has unloaded the mall to a spinoff company known as Washington Prime Group, which consisted mostly of Simon's lower performing malls as well as their strip malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 03:59 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
The Coronado store is much larger with better selection. Except for shoes, that department is way too small in both stores. I'm not surprised that the Cottonwood store is closing.

Old 01-06-2017, 04:19 PM

102,054 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
The Coronado store is much larger with better selection. Except for shoes, that department is way too small in both stores. I'm not surprised that the Cottonwood store is closing.
I agree; they don't need two stores in the same city. They can't close their main store, though; that place is a lifeline for too many people in NM! In Santa Fe, we don't have anyplace to get affordable, fashionable items for work or even leisure.

Old 01-06-2017, 08:35 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,559,889 times
Were both locations originally Macy's or were they Marshal Fields/Foleys/Robinson May stores acquired in the merger and re-branded?

Old 01-06-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Were both locations originally Macy's or were they Marshal Fields/Foleys/Robinson May stores acquired in the merger and re-branded?
The Cottonwood location was originally a Foley's. Originally Coronado Center had both a Macy's and a Foley's; after they merged Macy's chose to stay in the former Foley's space since it was more centrally located in the mall. The original Macy's space at Coronado Center is now split between Dick's Sporting Goods and Gordmans.

Old 01-06-2017, 09:03 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,500,813 times
Quote:
Cottonwood Mall had a Foley's which became a Macy's around 1998 or 99... (I could be wrong on the date, it might have been later.)

Old 01-07-2017, 02:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,602,060 times
Quote:
The Macy's at Coronado Center was originally Broadway Southwest, which Macy's acquired as part of its purchase of The Broadway in 1996.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Broadway

When Cottonwood Mall opened in 1996 it had Foley's, Dillard's, Mervyn's, JC Penney and Montgomery Ward as its anchor stores. The Montgomery Ward space became Sears pretty quickly after Montgomery Ward's demise in 2001. When Mervyn's ceased to exist in 2008 its space took a lot longer to fill.

The Foley's at Cottonwood Mall didn't become Macy's until 2006.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley's

In 1996 Coronado Center had Sears, Macy's (Broadway Southwest), JC Penney, Foley's and Mervyn's as its anchor stores. Across the street, a still thriving Winrock Center had Dillard's and Montgomery Ward as anchor stores. JC Penney had moved from Winrock to Coronado in 1990. Its old space at Winrock became the Dillard's Men and Children's store.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:53 PM

JCPenney has just announced that it would be closing 140 stores. Could JCPenney be the next to close at Cottonwood?

Old 02-25-2017, 12:25 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,682,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
JCPenney has just announced that it would be closing 140 stores. Could JCPenney be the next to close at Cottonwood?
I'm thinking maybe the JC Penney Home store on Menaul. There's hardly ever anyone there when I've been.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,138,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
I'm thinking maybe the JC Penney Home store on Menaul. There's hardly ever anyone there when I've been.
Given how much of that store is simply mattresses and bedroom sets, and how low the rents probably are for that location (it's not near a mall), it may have a lower threshold for "busy". Further, it never seemed particularly deserted to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque