Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 07:31 PM

19 posts, read 22,705 times

Advertisements

Thank you, I appreciate the info. We can increase our budget some, but it doesn't look like even $200,000 will get us anything there. That's a bummer, it looks perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:19 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
Sorry to say that for under $200k, you are not going to find something move-in ready with 1+ acres of land. Unless it is really out in the middle of no where. You can find something rural in Los Lunas/Bosque Farms/Peralta area with less land and be extremely close to places to ride 4-wheelers.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Okay thanks. I appreciate the guidance so much! I am not sure what to do. Are there any other places are within our budget where we won't be right up next to our neighbors? Safe and with schools that don't suck. Hahaha see my standards lowering as we speak?! Funny. My husband will 100% not live in a big city. We might possibly be able to choose a different city for relocation but I don't know anything about them either. None really appeal to me at a first glance. This is overwhelming.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,228 times
Have you looked into the east mountain communities? The closer ones are doable for a commute unless there is severe weather that closes i40 and that is usually once or twice a winter if that. I don't know what the schools are like but maybe someone else can answer that. You might have more luck with property size. Just be careful anywhere in NM if the land is really cheap there is probably a reason- no water and or no utilities, make sure water conveys with the property and that there is water period. (Digging a well can be extremely expensive and not always fruitful). Good luck, I hope you can find what you're looking for

Old 01-25-2017, 11:24 PM

201 posts, read 291,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Rio Rancho is about 25 miles (or more) north of that location, you would have to drive through Albuquerque to the other side of Albuquerque... If you want "Rural" you might want to look south towards, South Valley, Bosque Farms, Belen
Poncho,

Why do you never, ever, or almost never-ever, reference that of the East Mountains? Is it a childhood memory long past you'd rather forget? In any case (let's let it slip as an oversight, despite you never being positive about the east mountain area), Tijeras, Cedar Crest are 25-30min from the husband's work area. Depending on their budget, which is obviously a factor, they could have exactly what they're seeking within the ~40min commute range they desire. Why as the moderator would you not suggest this? /end rant.

Edit: on a side note, I do now see OP posted a max of 150K purchase budget. There are places out here in the east mountains for that price, but nothing 3+ acreage. That is a pipe dream unless you're living in the plains of the Midwest. Maybe this is why our almighty moderator did not suggest it. My 2 cents .

Old 01-25-2017, 11:32 PM

201 posts, read 291,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
Have you looked into the east mountain communities? The closer ones are doable for a commute unless there is severe weather that closes i40 and that is usually once or twice a winter if that. I don't know what the schools are like but maybe someone else can answer that. You might have more luck with property size. Just be careful anywhere in NM if the land is really cheap there is probably a reason- no water and or no utilities, make sure water conveys with the property and that there is water period. (Digging a well can be extremely expensive and not always fruitful). Good luck, I hope you can find what you're looking for
East mountain schools have very high ratings, and beat most of the ABQ schools, short of private/charters. When/if I-40 closes (rarely), Route 66 is always open. Anywho, thanks for at least acknowledge the east mountain community .

Old 01-26-2017, 10:18 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDweller View Post
Poncho,

Why do you never, ever, or almost never-ever, reference that of the East Mountains?
Show me a bonafide map showing me exactly where the "East Mountains" are located and I will answer your question... But I have referenced the area in the past. Prehaps 40+ times or more. Perhaps you were not paying attention?

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-26-2017 at 10:53 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 11:02 AM

Thank you all very much. I do live in the plains of the Midwest so what we were hoping for is just very normal here. I hadn't considered that you wouldn't be able to get water or electricity if you were rural. Thanks for the insight. I'll look into the east mountain communities. Maybe we will have to adjust the picture in our head. My husband would probably be okay with a suburb if we had a giant yard. He would pout about it but I'll explain to him everything I have learned here. I'm grateful for all the guidance! It's really strange to me to be moving somewhere that we know nothing about. Scary... so much to consider and plan for

Old 01-26-2017, 02:05 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas10 View Post
Rural and affordable are the 2 most important things I guess, so this is discouraging
The East Mountain area (east of Albuquerque) is your best bet I think. It's higher elevation, greener, and has many large lots (>2 scres), good schools I hear. The drive to your husbands work will be close to 40 minutes though if you are in the Edgewood area. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Edge...9!2d34.9972721

The problem is your price range. Only depressed areas are going to be near midwestern prices, and you wouldn't want to live there. On the bright side property taxes are <1% of value which is probably cheaper than what you are accustomed to.

Here is a zillow search around Edgewood are for 2+ acres, 2bd+, <$200k, with manufactured homes included. Real Estate - 28 Homes For Sale | Zillow

If your parents want to come out it might make more sense for you all to live on one property and split costs. Buying land and placing a couple of manufactured homes may be attractive, but note that there are likely more restrictions than you are used to, so you can't just do whatever you like. Check zoning.

Old 01-26-2017, 03:38 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I would suggest if you do not have the time to do a couple of week on the ground investigation of the Albuquerque area that you set aside your city dislikes and rent an apartment and or small house very near your husband's job in the city. That would give you the time to do a very detailed investigation while the proximity to the job would save him commuting costs.

I am equally allergic to cities but I survived a few years in New York City so I suggest you consider trying it until you find what you want. Good luck.

FWIW - We flew from Chicago to ABQ a couple of years ago. I had a window seat and spent the time watching the Midwest from 30,000 ft. One of the things I noted was the distribution of houses as we went southwest. They were very close together around Chicago and thinned out as we traveled southwest. Once clear of the metro area the farm houses were either in towns or spaced about one or two on each side of the mile grid. By the time we were over southern Colorado and Oklahoma the houses were either in town of a few miles apart. In North East New Mexico there were effectively no houses on the "Staked Plaines" outside of the small towns. Once over the Rio Grande Valley the housing density was still sparse except for along the rivers. I saw that Albuquerque was huge city about 20 miles on a side, bigger if you include Rio Rancho and surrounds, hemmed in by the River and the Sandia Mountains.

Watching the ground is one of the reasons I like, despite the discomfort, flying.

Last edited by GregW; 01-26-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque