Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 11:48 AM

277 posts, read 680,454 times

Advertisements

Where in the US are the lowest rates of seasonal/environmental allergies? Spouse moved out here from mid Atlantic and I from Midwest - partly to escape allergies. Spouse had a problem with ragweed previously, I never had anything. Being here the past few years, we have gotten increasingly miserable. I've started to consistently medicate for this, but just curious if there's any place in the country where you can truly escape allergies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 03:07 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,915,061 times
There is a lot of discussion of this in the allergy forum here, as well as other places on the web. The short answer is: no, there is no place that is allergy free. The complicated answer is that it depends on what your allergic to, but also on what you might potentially become allergic to later. Not sure there is a test of what allergies one might potentially develop.

This is a useful resource:

The 100 Most Challenging Places to Live with Allergies

Keep in mind that the rankings change from year to year. There is also the Quest Diagnostics study, but I am skeptical of its approach (Some areas have a large number of people with allergies because people with allergies commonly move there intentionally.)

https://www.questdiagnostics.com/dms...ergyReport.pdf

You could also look at the (generally discouraging) discussions here, though it doesn't seem that it's being updated:

Allergy Climates and Seasons | How does climate affect allergies? Read and share experiences.

Southern California generally looks pretty good, but I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence of individuals still having allergy problems there.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:31 PM

4,970 posts, read 7,332,239 times
Try Hawaii.

I had this problem for the first few years living in NM but then it got better. Many people tend to cycle in and out of allergen sensitivities. I still "feel it" on days when pollen counts are extremely high, when the trees are quite pleased with themselves, pollinating the air all at once during a warm spell, but then it goes away.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:14 PM

102,096 posts, read 107,233,376 times
Check out this guy, in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. A couple of treatments from him, and you'll be pollen-proof for years, from whatever you're reacting to in NM. His treatments program your body to no longer be allergic.
Dr. Russell Baum - BioSET - Allergy Elimination

Old 02-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Aries63 - that is what I'm hoping, that my body will just get bored of these allergens eventually. Having not grown up with it, it has been a disastrous couple weeks. Juniper, Cottonwood, Mulberry, Elm - all things I did not grow up with.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:32 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,335,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiswhack View Post
Where in the US are the lowest rates of seasonal/environmental allergies? Spouse moved out here from mid Atlantic and I from Midwest - partly to escape allergies. Spouse had a problem with ragweed previously, I never had anything. Being here the past few years, we have gotten increasingly miserable. I've started to consistently medicate for this, but just curious if there's any place in the country where you can truly escape allergies?
You might get a better response if you post the question on the health forum: just a thought. As for the allergies and NM or ABQ particularly, the worst I had was in ABQ but only for a couple of months a year. I don't think there are many places that do not have some problems. I have some trouble year around in AR, just not as bad as those few months a year in ABQ.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 AM

142 posts, read 251,491 times
Places with extended winter are likely going to have a shorter allergy season. My advice as someone who is licensed in the healthcare field, is to identify the times of year you have allergies and start medicating at the start of the season. Allergy medicines tend to take a couple weeks to have full effect so starting nasal inhalers, antihistamines, and asthma medicines ahead of time is ideal. If your allergies are severe, then seeing an allergist may also be a good idea. Your primary care doctor also might be able to suggest a good allergy regimen to start with.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:28 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,915,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggnm View Post
My advice as someone who is licensed in the healthcare field, is to identify the times of year you have allergies and start medicating at the start of the season. Allergy medicines tend to take a couple weeks to have full effect so starting nasal inhalers, antihistamines, and asthma medicines ahead of time is ideal.
No offense, but I always laugh when I see this advice, since I already take allergy medicine year round. But I have lots of different allergies. I realize this wasn't to me. And I am seeing an allergist. I finally have had a big breakthrough by getting chemical cautery treatments with my ENT. That has helped enormously with my nonallergic rhinitis (aka vasomotor sinusitis). Things aren't perfect, but I've seen enormous improvements. In Albuquerque, BreatheAmerica offers this service. I don't know whether or not other ENT's in the area also offer it.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:26 AM

Thread WAS specific to Albuquerque... and the point about it not getting cold enough to freeze off pollen is a good one well taken.

ApartmentNomad, I also have vasomotor rhinitis and was told it's something that generally comes with age (!), but so far it hasn't been aggravating enough to do anything about it. Happens when I eat even nonspicy food.

I wised up and started daily Allegra early this season with Flonase. Haven't used an antihistamine eye drop yet. Occasionally also take Zyrtec at night if I don't need to be anywhere early in the AM, or Benadryl if I need something to act and be out of my system fast.

Have any of you bothered with specific allergy testing in ABQ to know what triggers you, or do you just go by symptoms and time of year?

Old 03-04-2017, 11:50 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,367,768 times
I had allergy testing years ago but the results were as expected (e.g., primarily allergies to juniper, cottonwood, mulberry, etc. as my allergies are by far the worse in the spring). I had shots for five years and that helped although my allergies have gradually come back but not as strong - that could be due to my age as you may develop more tolerance for the allergens as you get middle age or older. Besides meds, I like to use a Neti pot to flush out my nasal passageways and any irritants in the morning and sometimes before I go to bed. My house is leaky with old crank windows so I probably get some pollen inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque