Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 10:09 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Misinformation alert: This is simply not true. Show us your source. Sources I'm looking at put Albuquerque between 23rd and 74th for violent crime depending on how many cities were ranked.
Yes, the most recent FBI stats put Albuquerque at 74th.

Now, car thefts, that's another story, but our rate is very close to #2, Modesto, and #3, San Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:03 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,237 times
So I'll be visiting Albuquerque in 2 weeks - was supposed to be in September but Hurricane Irma got in the way.

Driving a rental car, what should I be wary of? I always lock the car - should I put purchases in the trunk so they're out of sight? Are there places or areas where I shouldn't park?

I had never thought about car break ins until these topics started coming up! Do they happen mostly at night? I studied martial arts for about 20 years, so my general sense of awareness of surroundings is pretty high, just looking for any particulars you locals might have.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:15 AM

5,032 posts, read 7,412,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
Driving a rental car, what should I be wary of? I always lock the car - should I put purchases in the trunk so they're out of sight? Are there places or areas where I shouldn't park?
The advice is the same no matter where I've lived, and I take it as common sense: you don't want to have any valuables in your car that are visible from the outside looking in. So the trunk would be a good place. And don't leave anything in the car overnight. Thieves have been targeting motel parking lots where travelers might not be careful. Most motels have no security staff.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
When you get your rental car, at a lot of places they'll take your credit card info and point you toward a row of cars and say "pick whichever one you want in this row".

If they give you that choice, get a rental car with a New Mexico license plate if you can find one.

I've only had one break-in in Albuquerque, and it was a vehicle with a California license plate.

It's as if the crooks know the locals are broke. Ha-ha- joke's on them- a local was driving that vehicle and there was absolutely nothing of value for them to steal in it.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:

I had never thought about car break ins until these topics started coming up! Do they happen mostly at night? I studied martial arts for about 20 years, so my general sense of awareness of surroundings is pretty high, just looking for any particulars you locals might have.
Take the same precautions you should take in any city. Albuquerque ranks at the top for car thefts and break ins, but it is by points, not orders of magnitude.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:12 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
I try to do that, but I already thought that way from living in Philadelphia.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:39 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
A recognized behavior that is often mentioned in cases of car theft is the habit some people have of "warming up" their car by letting the engine idle while they are off elsewhere. That vacant car, puffing out exhaust clouds, is an open invitation to thieves who drive around in early morning just looking for them. It takes just seconds to jump from their accomplice's vehicle into the one left idling and drive off in it.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:06 AM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
A recognized behavior that is often mentioned in cases of car theft is the habit some people have of "warming up" their car by letting the engine idle while they are off elsewhere. That vacant car, puffing out exhaust clouds, is an open invitation to thieves who drive around in early morning just looking for them. It takes just seconds to jump from their accomplice's vehicle into the one left idling and drive off in it.

Right...very dumb, especially in this climate. My former neighbor had a huge truck that he would fire up and run for twenty minutes before leaving for his job at 7 AM. I considered stealing it myself.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Her

298 posts, read 868,787 times
I like to get ground floor motel/hotel rooms so I can park the car right outside the window and periodically check on it. Last time I was in NM, I had a rental car with out state plates and it was packed to the brim as I was moving. Luckily no issues. If possible, don't leave anything in sight. I've also been advised not to leave my insurance card/registration in the car as after a break-in people will swipe the home address to target for a break in. Not sure how true that is, and not an issue since you're from out of town, but something to think again. I've never had my car broken into but I've had it spray painted which was a total pain. My sister had her car broken into in broad daylight in a store parking lot so...you never know.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Her View Post
I like to get ground floor motel/hotel rooms so I can park the car right outside the window and periodically check on it. Last time I was in NM, I had a rental car with out state plates and it was packed to the brim as I was moving. Luckily no issues. If possible, don't leave anything in sight. I've also been advised not to leave my insurance card/registration in the car as after a break-in people will swipe the home address to target for a break in. Not sure how true that is, and not an issue since you're from out of town, but something to think again. I've never had my car broken into but I've had it spray painted which was a total pain. My sister had her car broken into in broad daylight in a store parking lot so...you never know.
When staying at a motel, if I have stuff in the car, I cover it in old blankets
so nobody can look in and see the good stuff. Any really valuable items are in the
motel room with me. And I've stayed at quite a few of older motels along Central
in Albuquerque, my fave being Motel 6.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque