Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:00 AM

859 posts, read 1,362,237 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking on here for a while, and figured it was time to join in! I live in Charleston, SC, am a jewelry designer and also have an online bead shop on Etsy. Have developed a passion for turquoise and SW jewelry, and discovered some great sources in Alb for beads.

I've also fallen in love with the culture and the city itself. It's so interesting to read the topics by folks who live in the city, and how perspectives differ from those of a visitor! Having lived a little bit of all over - SC, NJ, NY, Boston - I've seen more traffic, run down portions of cities, and crazy drivers from all over! Driving in Albuquerque is a breeze compared to NY and Boston! I've only been 'stuck' in traffic twice - once on I-25 during rush hour, but even then the traffic was moving and not just stalled; and once after getting caught in the Central Ave construction and thinking I could find a way around it, getting hopelessly lost!

The people I've met are just lovely; the only snipey encounter I had was in Old Town, in a way overpriced jewelry store - and I just left, without making a purchase.

Traveled the turquoise trail and was enchanted. Had an eagle fly directly crosswise across the front of my car; his wing tip actually brushed the windshield. A Native American later told me he was blessing my journey. Met and had some wonderful conversations with some of the Native Americans; what a wonderful, oftentimes underrated group of people they are!

Ate at Mary and Tito's, and some other small tacquerias, and of course had a green chile cheeseburger at the Owl Cafe! Got to see the Pottery maidens dance at the Pueblo Cultural Center - what a treat!

So - while, yes, there are problems with Alb, my impression has been that you have a lovely, vibrant city, and I would move there in a heartbeat if I could! The housing prices are insanely low for absolutely beautiful looking homes - remember I've seen NJ prices, and even the prices in SC are rising, as lots of northerners are moving here.

I hope to be able to visit every 5-6 months or so, and every time to find more things to do and see during my short times there!

So - I guess what I'm trying to say is that with all of the downfalls, you folks have a charming, wonderful city - sometimes it's hard to see the shine of the diamond when you're in the mines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
I am glad you love the Duke City,OP.I was really impressed with the ABQ when I visited.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I felt the same way the 1st time I went to ABQ, it has everything a big city has to offer except pro sports and still has a slower pace of life.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:43 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caili View Post
I've been lurking on here for a while, and figured it was time to join in! I live in Charleston, SC, am a jewelry designer and also have an online bead shop on Etsy. Have developed a passion for turquoise and SW jewelry, and discovered some great sources in Alb for beads.

I've also fallen in love with the culture and the city itself. It's so interesting to read the topics by folks who live in the city, and how perspectives differ from those of a visitor! Having lived a little bit of all over - SC, NJ, NY, Boston - I've seen more traffic, run down portions of cities, and crazy drivers from all over! Driving in Albuquerque is a breeze compared to NY and Boston! I've only been 'stuck' in traffic twice - once on I-25 during rush hour, but even then the traffic was moving and not just stalled; and once after getting caught in the Central Ave construction and thinking I could find a way around it, getting hopelessly lost!

The people I've met are just lovely; the only snipey encounter I had was in Old Town, in a way overpriced jewelry store - and I just left, without making a purchase.

Traveled the turquoise trail and was enchanted. Had an eagle fly directly crosswise across the front of my car; his wing tip actually brushed the windshield. A Native American later told me he was blessing my journey. Met and had some wonderful conversations with some of the Native Americans; what a wonderful, oftentimes underrated group of people they are!

Ate at Mary and Tito's, and some other small tacquerias, and of course had a green chile cheeseburger at the Owl Cafe! Got to see the Pottery maidens dance at the Pueblo Cultural Center - what a treat!

So - while, yes, there are problems with Alb, my impression has been that you have a lovely, vibrant city, and I would move there in a heartbeat if I could! The housing prices are insanely low for absolutely beautiful looking homes - remember I've seen NJ prices, and even the prices in SC are rising, as lots of northerners are moving here.

I hope to be able to visit every 5-6 months or so, and every time to find more things to do and see during my short times there!

So - I guess what I'm trying to say is that with all of the downfalls, you folks have a charming, wonderful city - sometimes it's hard to see the shine of the diamond when you're in the mines.
Just a suggestion: Rent out your house SC and rent here for 6 months. THEN if your want to move, move. But don't make a decision on three short vacation trips. Is it a great place to grow old? I think so. But -- you still need to look before you leap, as the old saying goes.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:37 PM

Hi, Fran, Thanks for the advice. Actually moving to Albuquerque is really just a pipe dream for us. Our life situation is such that it would be pretty impractical for us to move - firstly, my younger son lives with us and is a quadriplegic with a spinal cord injury. I don't think there are medical facilities that would serve him in NM, and although he breathes on his own, his breathing is compromised even here at sea level, so am not sure living in a high altitude would serve him well. Also, hubbie works at home for one of the major radio networks, and has to make frequent trips to NYC. Living farther away than we do would make those very expensive trips.

But I can still love NM and Albuquerque, and come to visit as often as I can!

Old 04-12-2017, 10:43 AM

205 posts, read 205,970 times
Quote:

Yep you can thank a different fate and destiny for your pleasant visits to ABQ because prior to 2007 the city was plagued with a Crystal Meth Hell...that area on Central Ave with all kinds of new construction was basically a giant abandoned parking lot with the occasional trailer park here and there and nothing but Methamphetamine minions for tour guides back in 2005; and UNM (University of New Mexico) was basically a bomb threat practice ground, mass murders (shooters) "party stop," and gangster's exploit until about 2008 -2009 or so...

GuardarGuardar

Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 AM

Countess, Every city/town I've ever lived in has had its areas of trouble. My philosophy has always been to avoid them when possible, and only drive through them when necessary.

I would much rather look on the bright side of what a city has to offer, and Albuquerque offers lots.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:45 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,452,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countess Capital View Post
Yep you can thank a different fate and destiny for your pleasant visits to ABQ because prior to 2007 the city was plagued with a Crystal Meth Hell...that area on Central Ave with all kinds of new construction was basically a giant abandoned parking lot with the occasional trailer park here and there and nothing but Methamphetamine minions for tour guides back in 2005; and UNM (University of New Mexico) was basically a bomb threat practice ground, mass murders (shooters) "party stop," and gangster's exploit until about 2008 -2009 or so...
I spent a lot of time in Albuquerque during the years you mention and all I can say is...what?? Caili, suffice it to say that this poster's wild imaginings bore no more relationship to reality then than they do now. Crime rates in Albuquerque are actually slightly higher than they were before the recession...

Old 04-23-2017, 10:43 PM

534 posts, read 489,269 times
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit, Caili! I moved here recently, about a year, but had spent the last 10 years looking for the best SW place to move to (I'm fifth generation native Californian but had lived in the midwest for many years). For 10 years I repeatedly visited, sometimes staying for a month or two at a time, Sedona, Phoenix, Tucson, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Taos....each time, I felt the most drawn to ABQ. There is a vibe here that I liked (like) better than the other cities, as far as making a permanent home. Sometimes people here look at me askance when they find out I picked ABQ over Santa Fe/Taos not because of cost, but because I really liked ABQ better! I didn't settle for ABQ...I chose it with happiness. ABQ is just so great over all...I don't consider it Santa Fe's inferior, like it's some kind of New Mexico consolation prize for those who can't afford Santa Fe. ! I truly understand your love for it.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:13 PM

2,634 posts, read 3,693,163 times
Quote:
Hi, Fran, Thanks for the advice. Actually moving to Albuquerque is really just a pipe dream for us. Our life situation is such that it would be pretty impractical for us to move - firstly, my younger son lives with us and is a quadriplegic with a spinal cord injury. I don't think there are medical facilities that would serve him in NM, and although he breathes on his own, his breathing is compromised even here at sea level, so am not sure living in a high altitude would serve him well. Also, hubbie works at home for one of the major radio networks, and has to make frequent trips to NYC. Living farther away than we do would make those very expensive trips.

But I can still love NM and Albuquerque, and come to visit as often as I can!
I am so sorry about your son. (I broke my neck when I was 18, but somehow there was no spinal injury.) I don't feel sorry FOR you and your son. But that quite a load for both your son, you and your husband.

And, no, you don't want to live here. Medical care here is hardly the best. Not to mention that there are, just for example, one GP/FP for every 1000-1100 residents. NOT good -- and it's expected to get worse over time. I've lived all over The US and in Europe -- and NM has to be one of the most drop-dead gorgeous places on earth. However, there are always practical considerations that figure in where we must live.

I really do wish you the very best. Hey, Charleston is hardly a bad place to live. I've been there for a visit. Loved it. Couldn't breathe because of the humidity -- but I loved the city -- just not the weather. :-)

Wait a minute -- I wonder if your son would breathe better without all that humidity? But, yeah, high altitude is probably not good at all for him. I don't need my high BP med when I'm in Southern CA. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque