Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 03:26 PM

57 posts, read 217,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Sandia is consistantly second to La Cueva in academics. This area has several reasonable priced housing areas. I see what you mean about DRMS. I would recommend Sandia and El Dorado clusters.
Interesting, this article KOB.com - Board tries to alleviate school problems claims that Sandia is falling apart and has low enrollment, and that APS is considering making it a magnet school to attract students.

It's so difficult to make decisions about schools long-distance. Especially when you can't see the neighborhoods that the schools draw from. "Reasonable-priced" could be slummy or modest, depending on your perspective. So I guess if I get the job I have to find a way to come out and spend a few more days driving around, talking to people. The one weekend I spent was just long enough to get more confused!!

Thanks, everyone -- I'm sure I will be back with more questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 03:51 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excal View Post
Eisenhower Middle school is an excellent school.I have 2 children who attend there. I am a physician and know of other professionals who also have children there and are quite happy with the school. Eisenhower does feed to La Cueva but it also feeds to El Dorado High School (depending on where you live) which is also a very good school.The area around El Dorado I think is a little less pricey than around La Cueva.
docmommaCA - I second the recommendation of Eisenhower MS. Although our daughter is just getting ready to start elementary, we've heard nothing but good things about Eisenhower. They also have a strong neighborhood association.

House prices are less in the Eisenhower area than areas further north, in the La Cueva clusters. There are several homes for sale near us in the low 200's.

I've also heard the rumors about changing school boundaries. They've built so many homes in 87122, belonging to La Cueva HS, that the HS boundaries will most likely be adjusted northwards. They will likely leave the MS and Elem. boundaries in place, as I understand it.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:54 PM

57 posts, read 217,158 times
Default about APS and choosing schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmommaCA View Post
Interesting, this article KOB.com - Board tries to alleviate school problems claims that Sandia is falling apart and has low enrollment, and that APS is considering making it a magnet school to attract students.
So I've been doing more reading and found this article from 2006 Albuquerque Journal that says that Sandia had 300 transfer students that year. So which is it? That much of a change in such a short time? Did they lose their principal in the big shake-up that I have been reading about? Or something else??

I found that link through this excellent post 'Burque Babble: More Fun With Test Scores which made a lot of sense to me. Lots more to schools than test scores.... Gotta talk to more parents. AFTER I get offered the job, of course. Keep your fingers crossed for me, the final interview is this week!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:07 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmommaCA View Post
...that says that Sandia had 300 transfer students that year. So which is it?
A friend of mine from work lives in the La Cueva HS district - he has two daughters.

One of them transferred to Sandia HS because she is artistically inclined, and they felt Sandia addressed those strengths better. The other chose to attend La Cueva.

They have been happy with both schools.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:43 PM

382 posts, read 1,227,663 times
My wife was told that overall Jefferson is not a good school. They have many psuedo-gang problems, and the kids there are hard on the "good" kids. This is all second-hand from other teachers, so take it with a grain of salt.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:53 PM

11 posts, read 37,001 times
Default Sandia

Well I am a sophomore at Sandia, and I like it very much

I don't believe whoever said that Sandia's enrollment was low because I know so many people that trasnfer to Sandia because

A. they hate how rude and snobby people are from La Cueva
B. too many drug problems, and still some snobby people from El Dorado
C. other schools like Albuquerque High, Del Norte, Cibola aren't very great and usually get called "ghetto"

I am not saying Sandia is perfect, because no school is, but it is a great school

Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 1,503 times
Jefferson is a wonderful middle school. Both of my daughters have gone there, and its clear their academic achievement is considerably higher than some of her peers who attend other Albuquerque schools. Many Jefferson graduates head on to Albuquerque High School, and most of my older daughters Jefferson classmatees graduated with honors. I live out of the district and had to apply for my daughters to attend. They approve transfers via a lottery system because the school is in such high demand. Thank goodness both of them got in, as many of their friends did not. Just my two cents...I tell everyone I know what a great school Jefferson is. The teachers are fabulous, and the extra-curricular programs are outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque