Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 12:51 PM

57 posts, read 216,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM in another thread
Any locals who have been following the story of the Jefferson Middle School letters to the Journal know what I was talking about; that was the point I was trying to make. The schools here are horrible. Nobody picked up on it. The worst thing about Albuquerque is the public educational system.
I moved this from another thread since it got buried. The story of the letters written by JMS students has been interesting to me since we are considering a move to ABQ and Jefferson was the school recommended for my son by several professional colleagues. Reason being that the parents tend to be UNM professors, doctors at the medical centers, etc. I read the letters and the initial comments (have not seen all subsequent comments, however) and have a hard time believing that they are representative of the student body as a whole -- IF it's true that many of the parents there are highly educated. Can someone knowledgeable please provide some info about Jefferson Middle School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 01:57 PM

382 posts, read 1,224,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmommaCA View Post
I moved this from another thread since it got buried. The story of the letters written by JMS students has been interesting to me since we are considering a move to ABQ and Jefferson was the school recommended for my son by several professional colleagues. Reason being that the parents tend to be UNM professors, doctors at the medical centers, etc. I read the letters and the initial comments (have not seen all subsequent comments, however) and have a hard time believing that they are representative of the student body as a whole -- IF it's true that many of the parents there are highly educated. Can someone knowledgeable please provide some info about Jefferson Middle School?
From the NM PED website:

836 Students
AYP: NO STATUS: SI-2 (Failed two years in a row)

Demographics:

50.2% Hispanic
35.6% Caucasion
6.7% Native American
5.6% Black
1.9% Other

Attendance: 94.1%

AYP Results:

Math:
Tested: 734
Proficient: 41.6%

Reading:
Proficient: 62.6%

Old 03-08-2008, 03:21 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,901,668 times
Needless to say, Jefferson Mid School isn't the school is cracked up to be. I recommend Desert Ridge M.S.

Desert Ridge Middle School - Home of the Diamondbacks (desertridgems.com)

Old 03-08-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Needless to say, Jefferson Mid School isn't the school is cracked up to be. I recommend Desert Ridge M.S.
Yeah, the problem with DRMS is that there is not much in the way of rental property in the area. And I always hate renting in an area where it is unlikely that we'll be able to afford to buy. Does the larger LaCueva area have more reasonable housing? I suppose we could rent for the three years of MS and then buy once he's in HS....

Old 03-08-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
From the NM PED website:

Reading:
Proficient: 62.6%
Honestly, none of the ABQ schools look so hot re: test scores. What I was looking for was a sense of the school "community". Hispanic vs caucasian doesn't mean much -- the Hispanic person could be faculty at UNM. Is it as eclectic as the Nob Hill/UNM neighborhood? I am just not the gated community type ;-)

Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the problem with DRMS is that there is not much in the way of rental property in the area. And I always hate renting in an area where it is unlikely that we'll be able to afford to buy. Does the larger LaCueva area have more reasonable housing? I suppose we could rent for the three years of MS and then buy once he's in HS....
La Cueva is going to cost you $299k+ to live in the area. I keep hearing rumors that the boundries are going to get smaller soon due to overcrowding issues.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Honestly, none of the ABQ schools look so hot re: test scores. What I was looking for was a sense of the school "community". Hispanic vs caucasian doesn't mean much -- the Hispanic person could be faculty at UNM. Is it as eclectic as the Nob Hill/UNM neighborhood? I am just not the gated community type ;-)
My wife is going to ask around next week; she is a teacher. The area around the University can be quite expensive; there are also pockets of poverty.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
My wife is going to ask around next week; she is a teacher. The area around the University can be quite expensive; there are also pockets of poverty.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

At least the houses near UNM are modestly sized; some areas you can't get anything smaller than 3000 sq ft and so you're automatically priced out. We'd be willing to live in a smaller space to have a congenial neighborhood (and a 5-minute commute).

Old 03-08-2008, 11:03 PM

7 posts, read 24,465 times
Eisenhower Middle school is an excellent school.I have 2 children who attend there.I am a physician and know of other professionals who also have children there and are quite happy with the school.Eisenhower does feed to La Cueva but it also feeds to El Dorado High School(depending on where you live) which is also a very good school.The area around El Dorado I think is a little less pricey than around La Cueva.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:36 AM

1,418 posts, read 4,901,668 times
Sandia is consistantly second to La Cueva in academics. This area has several reasonable priced housing areas. I see what you mean about DRMS. I would recommend Sandia and El Dorado clusters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque