Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:56 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times

Advertisements

I have always found it very odd that Rio Ranchoans often are very quick to point out that they live in Rio Rancho, not Albuquerque. I know I once gave a business presentation and talked about being "in the Albuquerque area" and afterwards, I was politely but sternly advised that I was in RIO RANCHO, not "the Albuquerque area."

And in fairness, while I wouldn't say its as pronounced, a lot of Albuquerqueans act like Rio Rancho is Jupiter or something.

This isn't a big deal or anything, its more just an odd idiosyncrasy that I have noted and for a long time been confused about but didn't stop to ask either.

I mean, in the Denver area, there are tons of suburbs (Aurora, Littleton, etc.) but if you ask one of them where they are from, often they'll just say Denver.

Here in metro Milwaukee, I haven't lived in the city of Milwaukee itself since I was in my 20s but to someone out of town or out of state, I will tell them I live in Milwaukee.

Chicagoland is like this as well, henceforth the moniker "Chicagoland." The Twin Cities? There are more than two, but you wouldn't know it generally when talking to folks from the area. Hell, there are New York City football teams that I believe still play their games IN ANOTHER FREAKING STATE (New Jersey)!!!

So I would be curious to know if others have observed this trend as well, and if so, the rationale for why it exists in Albuquerque Metro in a way that it does not exist in most other big markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 05:44 PM

52,252 posts, read 52,668,250 times
When ever I'm out of state I'll just say I'm from the LA area or So Cal. Here it's a whole different beast. LA is so huge and spread out and so varying in a lot of different ways. I'm not sure what is going on. My only gut thought is that from what I can gather over the years is that ABQ is seen in a less than pleasant way by some people. It's like when I hear people talk about NM it's always more about places like Taos or Santa Fe. I think some view ABQ as sorta pedestrian. I'm guess here. I still have a large interest in checking out the area for myself. Including Rio but if there is a snotty Rio is better than ABQ vibe I'll probably just shine on Rio then.

It's like people here, they are quick to tell you that they live in a place like Santa Monica or Brentwood as opposed to saying just "LA area" because of again, the snob factor.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 PM

16,081 posts, read 10,744,030 times
It seems to be a two-way street with both city residents more than willing to point out the perceived faults and shortcomings of the other place. My perception is that Rio Rancho folks venture into Albuquerque very often, maybe daily, and they know Albuquerque much more than Albuquerque residents know Rio Rancho. Some comments and descriptions posted on this forum over the years are ample evidence that Albuquerque folks really need to cross the river once in a while.

That being said, I've never lived in a place that wasn't like this. Sometimes it's worse.
Rio Rancho, being the third largest city in the state, also needs to grow up and take itself seriously.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:58 PM

5,032 posts, read 7,412,572 times
I think it is more common among long-time residents. Like in Boston/Cambridge, newcomers may see it as all one city, but old-timers have much more identity invested in being from one or the other. A friend who grew up in Cambridge said his mother used to make a big deal of going across the river to Boston and treated it like a special occasion, would put on her best clothes, etc. It was literally a few blocks away.

Now that Brooklyn is hip and trendy (definitely NOT the case when I grew up in NY in the 60s-70s), people are careful to point out that they live in Brooklyn, not just New York City. Even if they really live in Queens.

I have met high schoolers from Rio Rancho who seemed embarrassed to admit they were from Rio Rancho, because they thought it was a boring place compared to Albuquerque.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Albuquerque. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Be cautious. - some Rio Rancho retiree in a brown bathrobe.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:44 PM

52,252 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I think it is more common among long-time residents. Like in Boston/Cambridge, newcomers may see it as all one city, but old-timers have much more identity invested in being from one or the other. A friend who grew up in Cambridge said his mother used to make a big deal of going across the river to Boston and treated it like a special occasion, would put on her best clothes, etc. It was literally a few blocks away.

Now that Brooklyn is hip and trendy (definitely NOT the case when I grew up in NY in the 60s-70s), people are careful to point out that they live in Brooklyn, not just New York City. Even if they really live in Queens.

I have met high schoolers from Rio Rancho who seemed embarrassed to admit they were from Rio Rancho, because they thought it was a boring place compared to Albuquerque.
I had a quick question. Brooklyn and Queens look to be next to each other per the map section. They both appear to be on long island. If some saw they are from long island does it mean that they are east of queens, or would they say long island regardless if it's Brooklyn or Queens.
Attached Thumbnails
Why does Rio Rancho disassociate so much from ABQ?-getimage.jpg  

Old 06-15-2017, 05:30 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Albuquerque. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. Be cautious. - some Rio Rancho retiree in a brown bathrobe.
Reminds me of folks who hesitate when mentioning they're "from" Las Vegas - NM, not NV!

Old 06-15-2017, 06:01 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,322,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
And in fairness, while I wouldn't say its as pronounced, a lot of Albuquerqueans act like Rio Rancho is Jupiter or something.
I've heard of some in Albuquerque saying to people in Rio Ranch: Stay there (not to their faces, though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I still have a large interest in checking out the area for myself. Including Rio but if there is a snotty Rio is better than ABQ vibe I'll probably just shine on Rio then.
Nah, they don't have money there in Rio Rancho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I had a quick question. Brooklyn and Queens look to be next to each other per the map section. They both appear to be on long island. If some saw they are from long island does it mean that they are east of queens, or would they say long island regardless if it's Brooklyn or Queens.
Yes, Long Island means east of Queens.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:16 PM

534 posts, read 489,269 times
An interesting subject because when I was looking for a house here, my realtor kept saying, flatly, "You don't want to live in Rio Rancho." I looked there anyway, and I liked some areas a lot, because I like un-updated mid century houses and Rio Rancho had lots of them. In the end I bought in Four Hills just because I was looking at another ABQ area on Zillow and my particular house just happened to show up as "nearby listings" and I loved the house and property. But with my very limited experience of Rio Rancho I don't understand why it's considered so separate. I came to ABQ from Eden Prairie in MN and when people asked me where I lived, I say "Twin Cities metro area" which is what I guess I consider Rio Rancho, like an ABQ metro area, which I'm now realizing might be vaguely offensive to some people, oops, so, good to know!

Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM

548 posts, read 1,217,389 times
I live in Albuquerque but go to church in Rio Rancho and know tons of people who live and work in both areas. I don't personally feel like anyone makes a huge deal about the differences, but then again most of the people I know are relative newcomers to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque