Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 04:17 PM

511 posts, read 624,629 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the extra info everyone! I got all my answers and more.

Poncho, I'm sorry to hear you lost someone to lightning. Thank you for sharing this info. I'll be extra careful if I'm in lightning....and anywhere flash flooding is possible.

I know, I know, I read the articles about the danger, but I love weather and so I take my chances. Now, I don't stand out in the middle of a field holding a metal rod, mind you, and I do get out of the pool when I see lightning above, but there's nothing more exciting than standing at a window and watching the show. And I'd love to SEE flash flooding...of course, not be hiking or camping in some ravine, but if there were a way to see it coming but not be in its path, ohhhhhh, that would be like watching the lightning shows of NM that I've heard of.

We're coming mid-September and we're staying in guest house in Placitas. We want to see what it's like out a ways away from things, hang with the local indigenous wildlife...of all species!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 05:29 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Placitas is a great place!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:18 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Haha, lightning, wow! I had NO IDEA I was moving to the 2nd most active lightning corridor in the US, when I moved to NM! And I've always had a fear of lightning! But after being here some years, I've got used to it. Still, I avoid using the phone during a lightning storm, or taking a shower. Gah! It still spooks me.

I agree that hiking in early Sept. wouldn't work. Closer to October is when it cools down enough for that. Where were you planning to hike, OP? ABQ area, or in the mountains? You should check out Ruidoso, which everyone says is very nice (cooler, too!), and maybe around Taos, also a beautiful area.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,158,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
way to see it coming but not be in its path, ohhhhhh, that would be like watching the lightning shows of NM that I've heard of.
I can still remember the flash flood scenes in the 1953 Oscar winning documentary by Walt Disney - THE LIVING DESERT.

I later witnessed the "wall of water" of a flash flood in the El Paso desert in my youth.

For someone with an urge to witness lightning first hand, there is always this:

Quote:
Comprised of 400 polished stainless steel poles installed in a grid array one mile by one kilometer, “The Lightning Field” by sculptor Walter De Maria is recognized as one of the late-twentieth century’s most significant works of land art.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lightning-field

Old 06-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I agree that hiking in early Sept. wouldn't work. Closer to October is when it cools down enough for that. Where were you planning to hike, OP? ABQ area, or in the mountains? You should check out Ruidoso, which everyone says is very nice (cooler, too!), and maybe around Taos, also a beautiful area.
I saw something interesting to explore at the end of Tunnel Springs Road in Placitas. There are some hiking trails, but we tend to bushwack. We live in Washington state now, and we will often park the car and hike into the woods. It looks like this is possible in the area north of ABQ and maybe the Tijeras hills as well. We'll find out when we get there.

We're planning on getting up before sunrise and going out to explore to avoid the heat. We'll explore the cultural indoor stuff during the day, and at night, we'll see if exploring is possible. We have always gone our own way. I remember before we moved to WA, we visited the Olympic Peninsula in early winter. We stayed at a lodge and went out for a sunset hike. What we didn't know was the sun sets rapidly in the winter there and quite early. We found ourselves in utter darkness in the forest, totally unfamiliar with the terrain, literally unable to see the trail. Luckily, we'd not bushwhacked and had followed a trail. Then we heard the most haunting animal call, pretty close. We still don't know if it was a moose or an elk, but it was a big animal, and we knew we'd rather not run into that fellow in the dark. Somehow we found our way back to the lodge in utter darkness, and to this day we laugh at that experience.

Anyway...we hope to just pull off the road when something looks interesting and walk in whatever direction that may be. Of course, we'll get there and learn if that's realistic or not. We'll be going north most likely, so Ruidoso may not be possible on this trip, but if there is another trip, we'll likely go south and end up there. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I can still remember the flash flood scenes in the 1953 Oscar winning documentary by Walt Disney - THE LIVING DESERT.

I later witnessed the "wall of water" of a flash flood in the El Paso desert in my youth.

For someone with an urge to witness lightning first hand, there is always this:Comprised of 400 polished stainless steel poles installed in a grid array one mile by one kilometer, “The Lightning Field” by sculptor Walter De Maria is recognized as one of the late-twentieth century’s most significant works of land art.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/lightning-field
Oh wow! That lightning art field is something! You know, they call NM "The land of enchantment," and it seems there are more and more interesting things there. People have and do some unusual things, unique, creative, interesting - intriguing ideas seem to percolate strongly there. I'm so intrigued and my anticipation is building toward what I might find, what might touch my spirit when I get there. Thanks for the link to The Living Desert. I can stream it from my library, and I might watch it tonight. I was looking for something good to watch tonight. Thanks!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 PM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
I saw something interesting to explore at the end of Tunnel Springs Road in Placitas. There are some hiking trails, but we tend to bushwack. We live in Washington state now, and we will often park the car and hike into the woods. It looks like this is possible in the area north of ABQ and maybe the Tijeras hills as well. We'll find out when we get there.

There are also a lot of trails to be had east of Tramway. I would politely ask that you reconsider bushwhacking however for various reasons. Have fun.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post

There are also a lot of trails to be had east of Tramway. I would politely ask that you reconsider bushwhacking however for various reasons. Have fun.
No sirree, no actual bushwhacking, I promise! We'll definitely go around. I just hope our lone parked car doesn't get whacked...

A friend told me to check out Spider Rock and the Petroglyphs, and now I'll check out east of Tramway. Thanks! I think we'll be busy, but of course, we won't miss Meow Wolf, a rather different kind of bushwhacking but one that suggests quite an experience!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 PM

Location: In my cat's house, until she finds a better human servant
372 posts, read 390,076 times
There are a number of hiking Meetups here, you could check their itineraries and see if there are any you might like to join, they often have hikes that sound interesting (hoping one day to be healthy enough to go myself ) have fun!

Old 07-07-2017, 06:55 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiz View Post
No sirree, no actual bushwhacking, I promise! We'll definitely go around. I just hope our lone parked car doesn't get whacked...

A friend told me to check out Spider Rock and the Petroglyphs, and now I'll check out east of Tramway. Thanks! I think we'll be busy, but of course, we won't miss Meow Wolf, a rather different kind of bushwhacking but one that suggests quite an experience!
Elena Gallegos picnic area has a couple trails that begin in the foothills and head up into the Sandias. The Baca trail will take you past some mega rock formations along the way. The Pino trail will have you humping uphill quicker if that's your goal. AS far as the car being safe I doubt you can go wrong at Elenas. If I was one of those smash and grab types it's not the place I would ever consider trying it.

I guess I just like it because on thirty some trips it's always been the most convenient place to stop first and last for my desert/mountain fix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque