U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 PM

4,470 posts, read 6,619,898 times

Advertisements

I think its a good idea and should be enforced more. But very difficult to enforce as there are not enought cops around and it has to be seen to be a violation..

But it does cause problems...everytime we go to ABQ we see lots of people on cell phones and as texting...etc.

Just drive and pay attention..

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 01:35 PM

5,549 posts, read 13,853,105 times
Tim Rankin related:

> ... been rear-ended once by a cell-phone user,
> almost rear-ended a 2nd time by another ...
> yelled at by an SUV driver who couldn't maneuver their ...
> ... too busy blabbing on their cell-phone].

Picture this:

Now suppose a law is passed along with fines and stuff like that.

Will any of the type of experiences mentioned above not continue happening?

No. They'll keep yakking on their cellphones.

Oh ( some might say ), if "they" just ENFORCED the law ...

ObHeh:
......... < Heh >

Old 01-15-2009, 02:00 PM

908 posts, read 2,494,866 times
We have a frame of reference. Santa Fe. I don't know where you'd go for the data, but they've had anti-cell laws in place, with warning signs and enforcement for some time now. I don't know if the initial enforcement level has kept up, but initially it was strong (tickets written for cell violation alone.). You could compare accident rates of pre and post years and adjust for population increase. Also, you could look at accidents involving cell phone use to see if hands-free devices put a dent in that rate. In the end, I'm with mortimer. At best it would end up an add on charge to another offending event, but actually deter behavior?

Old 01-15-2009, 06:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,261,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Picture this:

Now suppose a law is passed along with fines and stuff like that.

Will any of the type of experiences mentioned above not continue happening?

No. They'll keep yakking on their cellphones.
Why *** on your cellphone, when you could just put a bucket in the passenger seat?

I say pass the laws and fine 'em anyway. Just like they do for speeding. The extra revenue will help us get through the economic downturn. And like Zia mentioned, a lot of thought goes into cellphone talking - more than when eating, speeding or applying lipstick.

Other practical ideas: Just like with early seatbelt laws, you could get an add'l ticket for using a cell if you're pulled for another driving offense. Or maybe targeting esp. young drivers, in the inexperienced 16-18 yr. range, who are also prime cellphone yakkers...[ahem] talkers, and who should be giving the road their full concentration. Or maybe like with alcohol, if you kill someone driving and you were on a cellphone, facing manslaughter charges.

Personally I would rather they get rid of the Orwellian red light cameras and instead ticket the cellphone yakkers.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:02 PM

4 posts, read 5,807 times
If you cause damage to property due to inattentive or attentive driving and are at fault you should be liable. It seems so absurd to me that anything that might remotely be dangerous should suddenly become illegal. I've seen mothers in mini-vans driving in a dangerously while distracted by their children, should we ban that activity or require a glass screen between the child and the parent?

I think we should toughen up a little and remember that old saying No Blood No Foul. If property or person is not hurt in the action there was no crime committed.

Another thing is that if this activity is so dangerous why are we allowing the police to do it?

Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 AM

519 posts, read 1,529,954 times
How 'bout we ban bad drivers in NM? I was on driving Tramway yesterday, and a new Lexus decided to weave in between me and another car. That would have been fine except for the fact that the Lexus was weaving into me, and if I hadn't slammed on my breaks, I would have been in an accident.

Nevertheless, I'm hoping the cell phone ban/ticket camera [I have never seen so many people run red lights in my entire life!] can drum up more money to purchase more APD to get crazies off the roads and streets.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:40 AM

1,307 posts, read 3,193,159 times
Bad drivers are bad drivers, whether with a cup of coffee, a cell phone, shaving, or doing their makeup. I can drive perfectly fine talking on a cell phone, because I am capable of multi-tasking. I should not be punished for the rest of the world that cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

The cell phone law should never have been passed in Santa Fe. It has had no visible effect, and it is not enforced. If you pass similar legislation in Burque, there will be the same results.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM

519 posts, read 1,529,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Bad drivers are bad drivers, whether with a cup of coffee, a cell phone, shaving, or doing their makeup. I can drive perfectly fine talking on a cell phone, because I am capable of multi-tasking. I should not be punished for the rest of the world that cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.
Well said! Unfortunately there are many a people who think they can multi-task.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,261,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Bad drivers are bad drivers, whether with a cup of coffee, a cell phone, shaving, or doing their makeup.
Yep, true enough [along w/truckzter's post]. You could probably say the same thing about alcohol too - there are people who can probably drink and drive, at an acceptable skill level. Montanans have always enjoyed driving down the road with an open beer in the cupholder or between their legs. That's the norm.

But the point is, drinking and driving is against the law, nationally. As a society, we decide what is reasonable under the law, and what isn't. Municipalities across the country are coming to the realization that cell phone use while driving is esp. dangerous, and are therefore starting to put bans into place. These type bans were never nationally implemented for eating & driving, for obvious reasons.

But, I agree completely about the wide range of driving abilities out there...

Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,300,911 times
There was a young woman killed in Maine shortly before we moved out here. Why? Because she was talking on her cell phone, dropped it and reached down to pick it up. Luckily her foolish move did not kill or maim anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or