Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:56 PM

801 posts, read 2,212,422 times

Advertisements

When this law passed, I was in favor of it. But...as I suspected, it's just another law that isn't likely to be enforced in Albuquerque. I see people driving and chatting on their cell phones every day. Last Friday, I was at a traffic light and watched as the woman in front of me was chatting away on her cell phone while a police officer was right next to her in the next lane. I saw him glance at her but then they went on their merry way. What's even more bothersome these days are the people sending text messages while driving...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodwx View Post
When this law passed, I was in favor of it. But...as I suspected, it's just another law that isn't likely to be enforced in Albuquerque. I see people driving and chatting on their cell phones every day. Last Friday, I was at a traffic light and watched as the woman in front of me was chatting away on her cell phone while a police officer was right next to her in the next lane. I saw him glance at her but then they went on their merry way. What's even more bothersome these days are the people sending text messages while driving...
I've seen it, too.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:18 PM

181 posts, read 707,672 times
Default 2 year update...are we better or worse?

I still haven't changed my opinion on this law as it seemed founded more on political correctness and encouraged (falsely) by the media since its inception. But now were stuck with it. I wonder how many more frivolous laws should we let our lawmakers pass?

To be fair, I did end up buying a bluetooth headset over a year ago...but the novelty has since worn off and I hardly ever use it. Occasionally, I'll take a call while on the road--but then again, I never had trouble walking while chewing gum either. Your mileage may vary;drive safe everyone.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:32 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
I'm against it.

I'm for making it illegal to run into other people.

If you can talk, change a diaper, shave, etc without doing
that then I don't care if you do it. Just don't hit me.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
I think cell phones should be banned in restaurants and stores also. How did all the cell phone addicts manage before they got one?

We were at Garduno's one evening having dinner and the couple next to us were both on their cellphones the whole time. I don't know, maybe they were talking to each other. I find cell phone use to be rude for the most part.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainy View Post
I agree with the ban also! If people were JUST talking on their phone, that's one thing. But I've seen so many who are talking, smoking and trying to turn....OR putting on mascara, talking and drinking coffee....just how many things can one do while driving?? It's not safe. I think it's different when you are on a highway without turns, stoplights, etc but why can't people just drive when it's time to drive and use their cellphone at other times?
I agree, when I was a smoker I never did smoke much in the car, but now I wonder how I ever smoked and drove. Think about how small teh ashtrays are, wow, a fire waiting to happen.

As for talking on the cell phone, just as bad unless you have a hand free phone and are out in middle of almost nowhere.

Nita

Old 01-13-2009, 12:17 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times
AlisonL wishes that:

> ... cell phones should be banned in restaurants and stores also.

Hopefully, we are all headed toward electrically-shielded buildings
where places of business would be totally impermiable to cellphone
transmission/reception.

... no more stupid ringtones whilst I'm enjoying a nice Chardonnay ...
... no more incipid, extra loud, conversations during my main course ...

NEXT we need to deal with those loud extra bass cars sitting next
to you in traffic that rattle your windows or outside your home whilst
some local dude is dropping off someone.

There will be a portable EMP device that can be aimed at the offending
vehicle that simply fries all the electronics in the car - especially the
radio/CD/MP3 player. You drive off leaving the 'bump car' wondering
who it was that "got" him. .... brings a smile to my face even now ...

Old 01-13-2009, 01:35 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
AlisonL wishes that:

> ... cell phones should be banned in restaurants and stores also.

Hopefully, we are all headed toward electrically-shielded buildings
where places of business would be totally impermiable to cellphone
transmission/reception.

... no more stupid ringtones whilst I'm enjoying a nice Chardonnay ...
... no more incipid, extra loud, conversations during my main course ...

NEXT we need to deal with those loud extra bass cars sitting next
to you in traffic that rattle your windows or outside your home whilst
some local dude is dropping off someone.

There will be a portable EMP device that can be aimed at the offending
vehicle that simply fries all the electronics in the car - especially the
radio/CD/MP3 player. You drive off leaving the 'bump car' wondering
who it was that "got" him. .... brings a smile to my face even now ...
Sounds like the perfect solution to me. Bring it on!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:39 PM

522 posts, read 1,610,305 times
I absolutely hate politcal correctness - protecting us all from ourselves seems like a shade of Nazi thinking to me. I was a realtor for awhile down here in south Florida so it would/could have been annoying. But in Alb, I'm for the ban. They have the worst drivers there on the planet. They don't need any distractions.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,987,545 times
People just need to hang up and drive.

Or then again use Hands Free..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque