Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 6,629 times

Advertisements

CONS:

Property crime is VERY high, just google Albuquerque crime and look at the FBI rankings. Traffic is nothing compared to other medium size cities. If there is an accident on any of the bridges crossing the river your commute time increases 15-20 minutes at the most.

People are okay, there are definitely horrible places to be in as far as the location of the city, but there is also no "safe" place to be at, crime is very geograpically sporatic on crime. Violent crime is horrible per capita (3rd worst in the nation) but you have to remember "per capita". Random violent crime is rare.

Housing is high compared to the midwest and southeast.

The problem with crime is that the judicial system is going through growing pains to figure out how to deal with criminals, and right now the criminals are winning as they are getting released the next day for even violent crime.

APS schools are abysmal, I mean abysmal. There are good schools in the city but they are far and few between.

Pros: If you like outdoors this is one of the best places I have been, weather is perfect, literally hundreds of miles of bike trails, you have the high desert mountains, the green Rio Grande Valley and Petroglyphs to the west.

There is a very multi-cultural mix and every seems to appreciate ones culture. The food is amazing, good arts scene in Santa Fe and Taos. The only downside is that theater seems to be minimal as well as the Philharmonic, they are good to see however.

Utilities (not speaking of Rio Rancho) are very reasonable, for about a 2000 sq ft. home you are looking on average of 100.00 per month for gas in the winter (30 or so in the summer). electric if you have refrigerated air about 250.00 in the summer and about $100.00 in the winter. Water is about 75.00 depending on your landscaping.

Taxes are very reasonble, no sales tax on groceries, property tax is cheap compared to other parts of the nation, State income tax is relatively low compared to other states with an income tax.

I will be retiring in April and moving away from ABQ (lived here for 40 years). The enconomy is VERY dependant on the federal government and it is not very progressive for attracting new business. On a plus side there is a Facebook data center being built 30 miles to the south in Los Lunas which should help.

The crime, non-progressive or forward thinking of politicians and judicial system, stagnant economy really swayed my decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM

16,006 posts, read 10,570,841 times
Thinking of Relocating... Is Metro Albuquerque That Bad?

The OP asked about the Albuquerque metro area and many replies focus on the city of Albuquerque problems. Some of those comments pertain to the metro area but many do not.

Crime is a problem in the city of Albuquerque but less so in other parts of the metro...be cautious wherever you live.
Albuquerque public schools are notorious in the metro area and many people use private schools if they can afford it. There are some good public schools in ABQ but you have to do some research to find them. Rio Rancho schools are significantly better. Housing costs can be high if you want custom and high-end housing but are generally lower than where I came from in the Midwest. There are expensive neighborhoods. Land seems to be expensive. If you live out much of a distance from the city (ABQ or RR) you will probably have a well and septic system.

State, county and city governments seem to be asleep at the wheel or worse. The voters seem passive and uninvolved. The place is so deprived of corporate investment that big business interests seems to have a red carpet greeting if and when they ever show up. It is not uncommon to have elected officials in deep trouble and maybe heading to prison.

I live in the metro area...not the city of Albuquerque and wild horses could not drag me away. Speaking of which...yes, there are wild horses roaming parts of the area. The population is relatively small and compact -- approaching 900,000 in the metro -- so getting out to enjoy the outdoors and scenic/natural areas is an easy task.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,636 times
ABQ is the stolen car capital of the USA (per capita).....
It ranks in the top 5 in most other crime too....

Old 10-17-2017, 11:24 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,909,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
State, county and city governments seem to be asleep at the wheel or worse.
Drunk behind the wheel?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 PM

4,947 posts, read 7,311,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polcdb View Post
Violent crime is horrible per capita (3rd worst in the nation) but you have to remember "per capita".
How does this go by unchallenged? I can't find any data to support this statement whatsoever. More "fake stats" to bash Albuquerque?

Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 PM

811 posts, read 2,933,479 times
Seems like an influx of negative posts about Albuquerque lately, some true some not, some extremely exaggerated. Seems to be quite a bit of NEW posters with only minimal amount of posts, that are flooding these threads with misinformation.
Hmmmm.......sometimes it seems like the same few people, just from the context of the posts.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:17 AM

137 posts, read 133,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Seems like an influx of negative posts about Albuquerque lately, some true some not, some extremely exaggerated. Seems to be quite a bit of NEW posters with only minimal amount of posts, that are flooding these threads with misinformation.
Hmmmm.......sometimes it seems like the same few people, just from the context of the posts.

Not trying to be argumentative so moderator please don't take this as an attack on anyone this is my observation from lurking and reading the forums before joining and reading the forums after joining.

Shouldn't people share the good, the bad, and the ugly of a city especially when people are considering moving to an area like the original poster? I don't doubt that some of the people posting are trolling or they have their own agenda but the original poster should and probably will use their own discernment, research, etc. to make a decision on whether moving here is the right choice.

Crime is an issue in Albuquerque, some of the stats being posted are definitely exaggerated to make Albuquerque sound like a war zone but I've seen a lot of responses that basically dismiss anyone who provides a different perspective on crime, healthcare, etc. Even some posters who have been here for awhile have said, "I've sugarcoated the issue" or "I've always downplayed the issue" until they were the victim of a crime themselves and I've seen statements such as "well I've been here for ## years and that hasn't been my experience" to dismiss someone else's experience on other topics as well. Times change, people change, change is constant so even though it may not have been your (not you, just anyone in general) experience, it very well may have been someone else's.

I read the city-data forums for awhile before posting to learn about the city and the perspectives of people living here because other forums provided such a negative perspective of the city but I appreciated seeing posts that provided the good and not so good. Anyways, as one of the newer posters who doesn't have a lot of posts, I don't want there to be an assumption that anyone who recently joined is only here to stir the pot when that isn't the case at all. I'll just go back to reading the forums

Old 10-19-2017, 08:38 AM

4,820 posts, read 4,728,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Thinking of Relocating... Is Metro Albuquerque That Bad?

The OP asked about the Albuquerque metro area and many replies focus on the city of Albuquerque problems. Some of those comments pertain to the metro area but many do not.

Crime is a problem in the city of Albuquerque but less so in other parts of the metro...be cautious wherever you live.
Albuquerque public schools are notorious in the metro area and many people use private schools if they can afford it. There are some good public schools in ABQ but you have to do some research to find them. Rio Rancho schools are significantly better. Housing costs can be high if you want custom and high-end housing but are generally lower than where I came from in the Midwest. There are expensive neighborhoods. Land seems to be expensive. If you live out much of a distance from the city (ABQ or RR) you will probably have a well and septic system.

State, county and city governments seem to be asleep at the wheel or worse. The voters seem passive and uninvolved. The place is so deprived of corporate investment that big business interests seems to have a red carpet greeting if and when they ever show up. It is not uncommon to have elected officials in deep trouble and maybe heading to prison.

I live in the metro area...not the city of Albuquerque and wild horses could not drag me away. Speaking of which...yes, there are wild horses roaming parts of the area. The population is relatively small and compact -- approaching 900,000 in the metro -- so getting out to enjoy the outdoors and scenic/natural areas is an easy task.
So true. Last numbers I recall, about 1/3 of people living in the metro ABQ area live outside of ABQ. The crime and education stats can be very different outside the city as compared to in the city.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:44 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,461,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observe View Post
Some of us longer term posters have commented multiple times on previous threads, specifically asking the new posters to provide references for their negative claims. We have also pointed out that our experiences in the ABQ area don't match theirs. But the negative posts keep coming and we've gotten tired of trying to repeatedly refute the posted misinformation.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,082,702 times
^ For all the years I lived in Albuquerque, I could never figure out where all the misinformation on crime for Albuquerque comes from.

It seemed like people on the internet and people I would talk to would constantly bring up stats that were incorrect, and if I pushed the issue and asked them where they heard "Albuquerque was number 2 for violent crimes" etc etc, they never could remember where they heard it.

Albuquerque is a fantastic place, but the obsession with crime feels even more bizarre now that I live in a city with a higher crime rate, and it never comes up as an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque