Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times

Advertisements

I just got in from viewing another neon sunset.

You get about one or two like that in Dayton per year. Here, in Albuquerque, it is usually, like, nine or so per week.

BTW, you weren't sniffing around the Tram yesterday were you? I passed a couple of tourist-looking people and I was dying to ask, but I chickened out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,402 times
The sunset was gorgeous. We were oohing & awing. We took the tram Thursday. By yesterday, I assume that you mean Wednesday?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 AM

I wrote that on Thursday, so yeah, "yesterday" was Wednesday.
How's the snow on the backside? It looks clear from this side.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Nadia, you can't get Green Chile or New Mexican red chile really anywhere outside of New Mexico. New Mexican food and Mexican food and TexMex are all completely different.
Of course you can get fresh New Mexican green or red chile outside of New Mexico. I didn't even have to order any fresh green the last few years in Midland, TX....they shipped them to Walmart/HEB/Albertson's by the truckload from Hatch, Deming, etc.

While I do agree that New Mexican, TexMex and Mexican (as in interior Mexico) do have some differences, they also have very common roots.

I love 'em all.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:13 AM

There was a lot of snow on the backside. We were really surprised at the amount of snow. We thought about taking the crest trail, but then my boyfriend sank in 2 feet deep snow. We ended up taking the service trail because it was packed snow. We were in tennis shoes.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:12 PM

You would have been better off starting off on the La Luz trail which has a spur <at> the Tram. The hiking around the boulders near the base of Sandia is really neat and this time of year it is much more enjoyable.

I just got done getting my wife beat up on the trail from the trailhead at the forest road. We hiked up for 1:50. Once we are up to 2:15 or so, that's more than half way and we can go all the way and take the Tram down.

Of course, today, that's out of the question due to ice, but next month ...

Actually as a lifestyle exercise, you should go to Ellena Gallegos and walk the trails that wind around the mesa. It's much more interesting and fun than you might think from a casual glance at the area.

Trust me.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 PM

We've took a walk at Ellena Gallegos last week. It was beautiful! I enjoyed visiting the top of the Sandias because it was so totally different than down here. It was shocking to see that Alpine snowy forest when we had just left blooming & budding trees down below. I've been putting off the La Luz trail until I get a little more acclimated.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,657 times
penelopelp, wait till it gets warmer to hike the La Luz. I frequent it very often, and there is usually still snow in May the last couple of miles which can be very dicey. There are some pretty narrow paths with hard packed icy snow and some pretty large drop offs, so I always tell begineers to wait until June to tackle the La Luz. Best of luck, and happy trails!

Old 03-22-2008, 09:16 AM

116 posts, read 471,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
Nadia, where in NC did you move? Do you like it there? My wife and I have it narrowed down to Charlotte, NC or ABQ to live. Just curious on your thoughts.
I guess it depends alot on where you're moving from, and therefore, what you're used to. I can say that we're having a hard time adjusting. I dont know about Charlotte, but the small town outside of Raleigh that we moved to is....very rural...... I griped about APS for years and now find my kids working 2 years behind what they were doing in Albuq. Also, generally speaking, the "southern" hospitality seems very superficial. With the exceptional drought theyre going through here and all the water restrictions, people dont seem be very welcoming of all the new people moving into the state. The HS kids, maybe b/c they all grew up together in this small town, have not been frindly or welcoming toward my daughter. But Charlotte may be a whole different story.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:22 AM

penelopelp, unsure of her stamina posted:

> I've been putting off the La Luz trail until I get a little more acclimated.

abqsunport, bursting with energy posted:

> ... wait till it gets warmer ... usually still snow in May ... very dicey. ... hard packed icy snow ... wait until June to tackle the La Luz.

NO! NO! NO! Do not wait. Go now!

The La Luz passes through many life zones. During the summer, the lower portion (about one hour or so of hiking) is pretty hot and you don't really feel like taking in the views and enjoying yourself.

This time of year, you can appreciate that part of the trail much more.

absunport is apparently experienced and (I bet) can make it all the way up with the best of them in a couple of hours.

You __don't__ have to hike the whole thing. As a matter of fact, I recommend you don't even try. Especially now because as he mentioned, it's icy where the sun doesn't shine.

I was there last week with my spousal-unit. We walked one hour out and could have gone on for much more. By the time we made it back to the car, she was quite tired and sore.

Yesterday, we went for 1 hour 45 minutes or so (just below where the Ponderosa start in the "Transistion Zone") and again, could have gone much farther, but when we got back to the car ...

Interestingly, at the elevation of the parking lot/trailhead, there is snow on the N-facing slopes. At the Tram spur (about 1/2 hour in), I walked for 20 seconds and was slipping and sliding on ice. However, for more than an hour above that spot on the main trail, it was dry as a bone with ice and snow just across the gorge to the S of us.

You'll meet lots of nice people who are in incredible shape. Even the elderly are walking uphill with an amazing spring in their step. I saw many hotties on the trail (male and female). (Wasn't this in another thread?)

If you pack in some snacks and about twice as much water as you estimate you will need, you'll be OK. Use your watch and don't be tempted to go past, say, one hour. If you get back to your car and say to yourself "Self: you could have done more" then the *next* time, you will better know your limitations.

-o- don't wear cheesy shoes or sandals
-o- don't continue uphill if you have used up half your water
-o- DO bring a sandwich and fruit and cookies and chips ... (note: it's good not to need it all)
-o- DO dress in layers because you will get hot
-o- gloves are very helpful for grabbing rocks and such when you slip or need support

OH here is the most important:

-o- Don't check out the views whilst moving. STOP. Then look. Better yet, grab a rock and look. Sit and look. My wife broke her leg "looking" at 11,000 ft on Mt Taylor once. My mother severely bashed in both her knees whilst "looking."

I know this sounds like common sense, but getting injured up there sux sux sux.

Finally, DO go on that trail. Don't go back to Dayton without doing an hour or two on it. DON'T listen to abqsunport. He's an animal.

Last edited by mortimer; 03-22-2008 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque