Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM

946 posts, read 3,265,259 times

Advertisements

Good idea, Towanda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 11:51 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
I will do my part in bringing it back to topic....

DISASTER BURRITO!!!!!

Because, really, that is the big reason to live near Lomas and Washington.

I lived away from ABQ for 9 years and that burrito became the stuff of legend. My poor husband was really tired of hearing about it. One of the first things I wanted to do when I came back was get a 1/8 disaster burrito and walk by the duck pond.

BTW...
Is the old Los Cuates on the south side of Lomas still around? or is it just the one on the North side of Lomas now?

Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
lisdol exclaimed:

> DISASTER BURRITO!!!!!

> ... old Los Cuates on the south side of Lomas still around?

yup: Los Cuates Restaurants

Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks. Good to know. Not sure why but that is always the one I went to. When family came to town, we would go to the nicer one on the N side of Lomas so they would not have to sit on red vinyl booth seats.

BTW - for anyone who has not heard of a disaster burrito - they are at Hurricanes. And are very very yummy, especially if you like curly fries.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:18 PM

lisdol mentioned:

> BTW - for anyone who has not heard of a disaster burrito - they are
> at Hurricanes. And are very very yummy, especially if you like curly fries.

It's a kick-butt burrito, but what's with the 1/8th of a burrito business?

I can see going to the Duck Pond, but I like the Hurricane ambiance well enough to stay.

It's been a while, so now I'm pining ...

Old 07-09-2008, 05:01 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,802 times
WAHHHHHH!!! Now I want a disaster burrito!!!!!

Old 07-09-2008, 08:16 PM

Eh, I eat it there for sure! Then go to the duck pond, but only on a weekend or when school is not in session.

1/8 is plenty for me. My husband eats 1/4. I think the first time, he got 1/2, thinking a half could not be that big.

Its a shame the one up in the NE hts closed. It was a lot closer to places I go when I go into town. I hardly ever go to the university area anymore.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:00 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,711,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod2828 View Post
Nob Hill is an area that for whatever reason my wife and I wrote off. The more I think about the proximity to UNM and to downtown ABQ (probably where I'll work) perhaps it's worth a look. I thought some of you said it was pricey. Ok, so here is what I need. I need parameters to stay in that has affordable neighborhoods (affordable as in $200k or less) and not sketchy in terms of crime. If you could give me 4 streets that make up a quadrant to try to stay in I'd appreciate it.
Hey Jrod -

Ol' EP is putting a nix to this one for you.

Having gotten to know your parameters / interests / needs in housing (and to a lesser degree neighborhoods), Nob Hill wouldn't be for you guys - I am very confident of this.

Before anyone calls ol' EEP out to the canvas on this (you all know that I really like Nob Hill a great deal and the surrounding neighborhoods/homes, etc.) I just have been fortunate to know where jrod is coming from in what he is looking for, and this just wouldn't be a great match for him.

Jrod - homes here are generally older - very *nice* older, but older all the same. Smaller homes, smaller city lots, etc. And yes, pricey in terms of price per square foot for the decent / desirable homes.

Great, great area of ABQ for many. But knowing your situation, I would clearly steer you back more towards the areas you have been considering. The commute to/from UNM and Downtown would be unbeatable in Nob Hill, but that would be - for what you are looking for - not enough to make up for all of the other downsides. And again, indeed, this is a pricey area as it is (Four Hills in terms of similar price-per-square foot).

Old 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM

EnjoyEP pointed out:

> ... [ ... Nob Hill ... ] ... homes here are generally older ...
> pricey in terms of price per square foot ...

IMO you won't like Nob Hill as a place to settle unless you have spent time walking the neighborhood. I know I say this all the time, but that's because it's always true.

Nob Hill's biggest attraction is its "walkability." Therefore, it's more true there than other neighborhoods.

EEP is right in that the houses are more expensive. Their absolute price is likely to be reasonable, but that's because they are small.

Also, being old, I would imagine that the ongoing maintenance costs are also likely to be much higher.

Finally, they pretty much all have a backyard that faces an alley. This makes it easier for your house to be burgled. It's just a fact of life.

To live there, you have to have some personal feeling about it being the right place. It's not something you'll pick from lists of good points and bad points.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:24 PM

Default The Mermaid - with body art

I've added to my page with some pictures of the businesses along Central between Richmond and Wellesly
- with emphasis on The Mermaid.

Looking at Nob Hill in Albuquerque
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque