Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 09:39 AM

461 posts, read 922,772 times

Advertisements

Kind of an odd question given our climate, but also one I wanted to bring up due to all the small details in insurance contracts on what is covered and what isn't. We currently don't have flood insurance, but I was curious to know if other ABQ residents did or if you also went without. If you do have it, a short post on why would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 10:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
We do not live in ABQ. We live in Rio Rancho, a different county. We do not have flood insurance. But you might read:

https://www.bernco.gov/public-works/...ormation.aspx:

Quote:
Bernalillo County Floodzone Information

National Flood Insurance Program
Bernalillo County provides a Map Information Service to lenders, insurance agents, mortgage companies and the general public with regard to the National Flood Insurance Program through the Floodplain Administrators office.

The services provided include:

Whether a property is in a SFHA or not (also available online)
The Flood Zone designation (A, AH, AE, C, X, X Protected by Levee)
The base flood elevation where shown on the FIRM
Whether or not mandatory flood insurance will be required for the property
Maintenance and review of map revisions (LOMRs)
Copies of Elevation Certificates (some are now available online through the GIS Program's FEMA Flood Zones interactive map)
The Community Number
The Flood Insurance Rate Map Panel Number and suffix
The date of the FIRM’s Index
The elevation datum used on the FIRM
Maintenance and review of historic FIRMs

Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 AM

461 posts, read 922,772 times
Thank you, although that link doesn't work.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Sorry, This link works:

https://www.bernco.gov/public-works/...formation.aspx

Old 02-06-2018, 12:47 PM

1,663 posts, read 3,700,760 times
This map might be helpful.
FloodTools.com - Map My Risk

My property is in the orange part of this map, but I don't consider flood insurance necessary for my situation.

The average claim for the area is $10,112 and annual premiums are more than $500.

My house is in the 500 year flood plain, but for the sake of argument I'll assume the risk is higher and in the 100 year floodplain. There is a 26% chance of a building in a 100 year floodplain flooding at least once in 30 years.

30 years of $500 premiums is $15,000. The expected payout $10,112 * 26% = $2,629.

I'd need to expect a loss > $57,692 for insurance to make sense (and that's ignoring any opportunity cost for that $15k in premiums). Given that my risk of flood is even lower, it makes sense for me to be self-insured.

Your personal situation and tolerance for risk might be different. Adjust your calculations accordingly.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,288,784 times
We’re in the orange section as well, about 1/2 mile from the river in the North Valley. Before we purchased the house I inquired about flood plain, requirements, etc. I recall that because the water was levee controlled (or some such), there was no requirement. Well, we all know the river is actually higher than the surrounding area, and that the existence of levees wasn’t all that helpful to the folks in New Orleans, but . . . I just went with it. Here’s to hoping for the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque