Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 11:01 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,310,833 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I just completed a whirlwind trip around the ABQ-Santa Fe-Taos corridor. For him, it was a sort of homecoming (he used to live in ABQ), and for me it was a completely new experience. New Mexico really is great, and I feel very much at home in Albuquerque....

We stayed a couple of blocks from the Old Town. When we went to get a drink at La Placita, the staff charged us $.25 for chips and salsa.... they said they had to in order to work around a local restriction on alcohol sales ("too close to a church and school," she said). Closer to the hotel (on Central Ave.) we entered a gas station mini-mart with hopes of buying beer (to consume in hotel room), but the owner said that laws forbid the sale of alcohol there (he recommended that we go to a place west of the Rio Grande for beer). Overall, we didn't see much in the way of stand-alone bars in Albuquerque--exceptions were a couple of microbreweries near the airport where we could get a beer without being charged for food....

Out of curiosity, what's up with these restrictions? It seemed odd to us that there were hardly any bars, though we were in ABQ only for a few days. Is it really just proximity to schools and churches? Or is there something else going on? Or maybe the sale of alcohol is perfectly on par with other places, and our experience was out of whack?

Just wondering....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 11:22 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
There are at least 20 microbreweries in Albuquerque.

And plenty of regular bars as well.

Never heard of any restrictions.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:03 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
Out of curiosity, what's up with these restrictions? It seemed odd to us that there were hardly any bars, though we were in ABQ only for a few days. Is it really just proximity to schools and churches? Or is there something else going on? Or maybe the sale of alcohol is perfectly on par with other places, and our experience was out of whack?

Just wondering....

Quote:
In Albuquerque, New Mexico, packaged alcoholic beverages may be sold between noon and midnight on Sunday, and between 7:00 a.m. and midnight, Monday through Saturday.

However, the following exceptions apply:

Christmas. The sale of packaged alcoholic beverages is prohibited on Christmas Day.
Quote:
Alcoholic beverages may be served in bars and restaurants between 11:00 a.m. and midnight on Sunday, and between 7:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m., Monday through Saturday.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,179,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empidonax View Post
I'd liken where you stayed and your experience to staying in Vatican City and trying to score some Amaretto and Chianti as part of your trip. It's not that they're illegal there, but you might have to leave the territory in order to get them, as most peoples' main purpose of visiting and staying there is not imbibing.

Where you stayed was also very close to Native American-owned land, and alcohol is a very sensitive subject when it comes to native Americans.

The places you tried to get drinks may have just fed you a line, and it was probably Sunday. I'm also willing to wager you visited Albuquerque without a rental car or much car transport at all. If alcohol is a big part of your life, this was the mistake, since Albuquerque's chock-full of places to get all kinds of unique beers and spirits, but most are only accessible by car.

5 miles east of old town on Central would've joined you up with all manner of bars.

If it's any consolation, it would've probably only taken you half as many beers to get buzzed or faced. Something about the high altitude..

Old 03-26-2018, 10:55 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,506,485 times
I was thinking it was because they were near a church? I seem to recall a law about alcohol and church proximity. Maybe I'm wrong as usual.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:58 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,698,730 times
A full liquor license can cost upward of $600,000 and the total number is capped. A beer and wine license (restaurants) and breweries are much easier and cheaper to get.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:43 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,736,898 times
Quote:
Q: What is the 300 Foot Rule? ​​ CLICK FOR COPY

Prior to issuing a Liquor License, Applicant must establish that they are not located within 300 feet of an active church, school or military installation.

NEW MEXICO ALCOHOL CONTROL REGULATIONS TITLE 15 – GAMBLING AND LIQUOR CONTROL
§15.10.32.8 LOCATION NEAR CHURCH, SCHOOL OR MILITARY INSTALLATION:
All measurements for the purpose of determining the location of a licensed premises in relation to churches, schools or military installations shall be the shortest direct line measurement between the actual limits of the real property of the church, school or military installation in which there is regularly conducted church services, educational functions or military troops housed, and the licensed premises where alcoholic beverages are proposed to be sold. If the proposed licensed premises is within 400 feet of a church or school, and the applicant does not admit the proposed licensed premises is within 300 feet of a church or school, the application must be accompanied by a certified report of a registered engineer or duly licensed surveyor. [3/31/97; Recompiled 12/31/01]
Alcohol & Gaming - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 03-26-2018, 09:36 PM

Okay, that makes sense for La Placita-- Google Maps says it's 348 feet from the Church. But it's still interesting to me that the mini-mart and Walgreens I went to on Central had no booze. Maybe that zone is kind of like the Vatican, as Zoidberg puts it.

We did have a car and saw free-standing bars and microbreweries in other neighborhoods (Nob Hill, Uptown, Airport area), but it just didn't seem like a lot.

But then again, we've been living in Milwaukee for many years now, and some neighborhoods still have a bar on every corner. The Liquor Lobby--and especially the Tavern League-- is strong here, so there are more bars than churches, and there are few if any "blue laws." I guess the disparity in bar culture between MKE and ABQ just stood out to me.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:57 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,625,159 times
You should've went to Downtown Albuquerque. There are 6 microbreweries/taprooms in the immediate core with another 5 in the industrial area just to the north.

There are also various restaurants, bars and clubs which serve alcohol downtown. Places like Brixens, the Library, the Launchpad, Anodyne, Sister Bar, the Downtown Distillery, Burt's Tiki Lounge, etc.

Most of these places are on Central Avenue downtown.

Old 03-27-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
You should've went to Downtown Albuquerque. There are 6 microbreweries/taprooms in the immediate core with another 5 in the industrial area just to the north.

There are also various restaurants, bars and clubs which serve alcohol downtown. Places like Brixens, the Library, the Launchpad, Anodyne, Sister Bar, the Downtown Distillery, Burt's Tiki Lounge, etc.

Most of these places are on Central Avenue downtown.
I may be going back in the fall, so the recommendations are duly noted-- thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque