U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:50 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,123,567 times
jghoo wanted to know:

> ... cant believe that thief and hack ...

Aren't you also describing a skilled politician. That he is.

> ... natural gas public transportation instead of fume belching diesel. ...

Somewhere around town there are hybrid busses. Diesel isn't necessarily dirty. It's just that 'dirty' is currently being used and 'clean' is not. Hybrid busses are a far better bus investment than natural gas.

> ... someone can tell me about his really good accomplishments ...

OK, here's one. From walkinginfo.org:
-----------------------< snip >-----------------------
The City of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Bernalillo County, have a 5 percent set-aside of street bond funds which go to trails and bikeways. For the City, this has amounted to approximately $1.2 million every two years. City voters last year passed a 1/4 cent gross receipts tax for transportation which includes approximately $1 million per year for the next ten years for trail development. Many on-street facilities are developed as a part of other road projects.
-----------------------< snip >-----------------------

I really enjoy the trail network in Albuquerque.

Chavez is also pushing an initiative to make the streets more safe for cyclists via a number of different measures.

Note: I take anything out of the mouth of an elected official with a grain of salt.

Hard-core cyclists insist on sharing major roads with automobiles, so such initiatives are more for them. I don't mind doubling my distance if it halves the number of automobile interactions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 09:55 AM

12,990 posts, read 23,583,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Bribes from the stoplite camera companies? or just the increase fines into the city treasury. Either way it is for money not safety.
I think some like my self would be better receptive to the cameras (well i still hate them) if the 10 million they made off of them was used to refurbish the Intersections. In El Paso they are slowly Concreting all the major Red Light Intersections instead of the asphalt that most of them here are as the asphalt buckels do to the stopping and going of vehicles at them.

Or continue landscaping the medians as i see Juan Tabo and Eubank has all dirt medians wihch would cost between 5 to 10 million to landscape them from Montgomery to I-40.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 AM

33,275 posts, read 27,552,144 times
Asphalt buckling due to the starting and stopping. I am beginning to appreciate what summer heat must mean.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM

5,553 posts, read 9,123,567 times
You would be amazed at the topography in and around the intersections that are *not* concrete. Some of the places along Montgomery must have nine-inch variations within just a few feet.

You can really see this in the early/late sunlight and at night with approaching headlights.

Staying in the lane through the intersection makes it less of a problem.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:42 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,311,407 times
Default Mayor Chavez

Well to answer your first question there are no term limits in albuquerque anymore which means he can run forevet but he is going to be running for governor soon so i dont think he will be running anymore.

Since Mayor Chavez was brought back to office there have been lots of accomplishments and changes:

Albuquerque is now a green city! its taking a stand against global warming and a clean air act has been enforced i myself have noticed the difference the pollution level is not as bad.

The Red light cameras are a contraversial thing but in my opinon they were a great idea to help the city collect more money for the transporation system and it makes drivers be aware that there are cameras and they will catch you.

The downtown area..well many may say nothing has changed but belive me it has he transformed the alvorado transporation center into a better looking center it was worse lots and lots of bummms! but there are several clean ups that take place and new home less shelters were opened as well. The city purchased some old buildings that had been abandond for years and they turned them into useable buildings for the city and the public as well as new parks ..over 17 new parks have been added and new busses.

The 1-40 interstate was planned by mayor chavez in 1996 the 1-40 freeway has 3-5 or even 6 lanes in some places to decrease traffic.

His new griffiti law has changed things up a bit with tough penalties.

These are some of the few if you compare them to former mayor Jim Baca you will notice that Mayor Chavez has really made a diiference mayor chavez defeated baca by 38,000 votes and his last election he defeated former councilor griego by 29,000 votes.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:46 PM

12,990 posts, read 23,583,902 times
bradly stated

> Since mayor chavez was brought back in office there have been 'accomplishments and changes' ...

Man you ain't lieing about that as he has 'accomplished and made changes' installing Red Light Camera's to the dismay of 70% of us drivers in town.

> The I-40 interstate was planned by mayor chavez in 1996 ....

Huh??? What??? I-40 been here since the 1950's/60's correct?? Also the current and past construction on it is NM DOT or GRIP funded by the state.

However in your defense the mayor has tried to improve downtown and crack down on graffiti so kudo's to him on that. If he run's again i'm not sure if i'll vote for him or not

6/3

Last edited by Six Foot Three; 04-07-2008 at 07:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque