U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-18-2008, 11:42 PM

101 posts, read 262,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I don't think ABQ is something you learn. It's something you feel.
Oh my! That is awesome...I think I am going to have that put on a pillow..lol! That is the perfect way to describe my favorite city.

It's funny that you say you never got Albuquerque ILOVE AUSTIN...I had to live in Austin for my husband's job in 06-07 and I never 'got' that town. I still don't to this day. It was probably one of the most miserable times of my life and luckily we were able to leave after the year. Fortunately for me I don't ever have to go back! I'm glad you enjoy it though. I can see how if you truly love Austin how you wouldn't get any part of NM...complete polar opposites in my opinion. If you were born and raised in NM I can also sort of understand why you would have wanted to get away. I think that Albuquerque often fits people that have been roaming around the country living trying to find that perfect place..does that make sense? After living in the fast paced east, or south, or CA or wherever one can appreciate all that Albquerque has to offer. I will always treasure my time spent in the Land of Enchantment and try to get back as often as possible
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 07:48 PM

73 posts, read 169,788 times
Very interesting thread. I have always enjoyed Austin, and could easily live there. But I find New Mexico has a certain je'ne sais quoi, as they say. I do think Tim Rankin said it best: "What draws me to this state is .... a certain something that makes it completely and utterly unique. NM is a very powerful place." There is an indefinable something about the place. And "Off the Map" is a very fine little movie. It explains the allure of the state very well. There is a scene where the mother tells the IRS guy that New Mexico is a magical place, and of course, he succumbs. But it's not a place for everybody, and like all places has its pluses and minuses. I don't know if I will permanently park there or not. I'm certainly attracted to the place. One of my relatives recently told me he has a potential job offer in Albuquerque. I told him if he gets the offer, that he will like ABQ. I always have.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:58 PM

549 posts, read 1,104,972 times
You're right DC talk, you can make a ledger of plus's and minuses and choose to come here in a rational way, but once you're here, there's a compelling quality about the place that pulls you in (at least for some of us). In an increasingly homogenized country, NM retains a special and unique quality that is irresistible.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:34 AM

3,058 posts, read 8,203,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
you can make a ledger of plus's and minuses and choose to come here in a rational way, but once you're here, there's a compelling quality about the place that pulls you in (at least for some of us).
Yes, yes, yes!

It is so hard to explain this to my good-hearted near-retirement age parents (or a lot of my other family/relatives/friends here in the upper Midwest). They are great folks - all - and they TRY to understand, however, you know deep-down (the working-by-reason/logic/groundedness Midwesterners that they are) they still don't quite get it (and never will). They WANT to get it / understand, but they just don't quite.

I think to them it is akin to the snowbirds that just flee the north for places like Phoenix or Florida - just seeking "warmer weather". Well, surely a big calling for Albuquerque is its year-round weather / climate, obviously (I probably wouldn't be quite as fond of ABQ if it had Duluth-like winters ), however, there is so much more to that region than just the ability to golf in December. It is so special that way. There are a tons of "tangible" reasons to love ABQ that can be listed on paper, but as you say, Sunseeker, so many are those that are hard or impossible to necessarily just list on a sheet of paper.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:47 AM

417 posts, read 907,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I don't think ABQ is something you learn. It's something you feel.
I love this! You are so right!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:52 AM

53 posts, read 105,271 times
New Mexico has been successfully re-annexed by "Old" Mexico.

Google: Mexican Culture.

Read: State of Emergency by Pat Buchanan.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:20 PM

420 posts, read 971,869 times
ziaAirmac & Yukon - excellent posts. Makes my heart soar to read your words and even more anxious to get there... permenantly!

My paternal great-grandparents were pioneers to NM, coming in covered wagon from Missouri and other points east. Unfortunately they didn't make it past Pep (haha), south of Portales, but at least they did make it to NM. I feel very lucky that they did. I always LOVED the time I spent there on their ranch - the emptiness of the land, the remoteness... but for some reason never lonely even though the nearest rancher is 3 miles away. And the stars - there are no stars anywhere like the stars in NM. While Pep is certainly not a ''classically" beautiful place it is beautiful in its sparse way.

Most of my childhood vacations (OK, all of them) were spent somewhere in NM - usually somewhere near Pecos (I have found memories of an old mine up there we would explore, I think they closed the campground up there because of the lead tailings but we won't think of that), my best memories are of Chaco Canyon, Gila Cliff Dwellings, Carlsbad... That is one of the reasons I feel so drawn to go back there. Once it's in your blood, it calls to you. I want to explore what its like to LIVE there, not just be a temporary visitor. I feel like I'm coming home.

Austin, depending on where you grew up I can understand your desire to get away (I grew up in a small town in TX, and couldn't WAIT to leave...) Hopefully you'll find what you are looking for, this forum is a great place. Lots of "laid back, friendly folk" that love to share their experiences with us.

Thanks guys!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 AM

24 posts, read 54,927 times
ziaAirmac, what you said was like poetry. Was very moving and makes me even more excited to be moving to Albuquerque soon. I look forward to catching a glimps of all these cultures , and perhaps diving in to further explore and enlighten myself. Thank you so much for the description.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 AM

73 posts, read 169,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasP505 View Post
New Mexico has been successfully re-annexed by "Old" Mexico.

Google: Mexican Culture.

Read: State of Emergency by Pat Buchanan.

Pat Buchanan?? Please. No one in their right mind would listen to that bigot.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:34 AM

90 posts, read 167,346 times
just go to Austin City hall, it was designed by an Albuquerque architect firm. Austin City Hall (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque