Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:01 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,081,122 times

Advertisements

This show was really good:

Sleeping Monsters, Sacred Fires: Volcanos of New Mexico
Program Schedule | KNME New Mexico PBS
Sleeping Monsters, Sacred Fires: Volcanos of New Mexico

It featured great photos and time-lapse images of cloud movement over some of the features of NM. For those outside of the KNME viewing area, I recommend buying the video if you like such things. I wouldn't have recommended buying the "Sandias" show, but this one was much better.

I learned something new in that there is, of course, the Rio Grande Rift with the associated valley and volcanism, but there is also the "Jemez Lineament" which runs from the SW to the NE and crosses the Rift near Valles Caldera.

I also learned that Valles Caldera, while huge is not the biggest Caldera in NM.
Valles Caldera National Preserve

There is pretty much diddly out there regarding the Jemez Lineament or I would have posted the cite. Before seeing this show I had never heard of the Jemez Lineament at all.

Perhaps I've just lead a sheltered life. (The show on Krakatoa kicked butt also.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,402 times
Thanks for the heads up. I guess we missed this, but we'll watch for it in the future.

Re: Valles Caldera--does anyone know what it's like this time of year? Does it still look like winter up there? I love the picture at the preserve's website. I wonder what time of year it was taken?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:02 AM

penelopelp asks:

> Re: Valles Caldera ... Does it still look like winter up there?

I think you can gauge that by looking at the higher areas facing North in the Sandias. For the last couple of weeks, I have not been able to see the snow up there (except for yesterday's dusting).

Elevations at the road are around 8,700 ft (at the Valle) and the lowest part of the basin is about 8,500 ft. The highest peak, Redondo is 11,250 ft.

Based on these observations I think you will see signs of Winter in very sheltered places, but more signs of Spring in most places. It should, as usual, be glorious.

You'll find some gated forest roads on the S side of Highway 4 which provide for some very nice hiking up into the caldera rim.

One thing on my list of things to do (someday) is climb Redondo. The views should be fabulous. On a clear day, you should be able to see the streets of Albuquerque as you can from the top of Mt. Taylor. (Formerly, this was off limits on the Baca Ranch.)

Old 05-17-2008, 12:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I was just flying around the past few days and there is still snow on exposed slopes, even south-facing, in the Sangres above about 11,000 ft. or so.

By this, I would conclude that in sheltered (under trees), north-facing slopes of the highest areas of the Jemez, it would not be totally unexpected to find the odd patch of snow or snow bank. You should not need crampons.

I have even found patches of snow and even thigh deep snow banks at 10,000 ft. in the Sandias and Manzanos as late as June. It is neat to be all sweaty, hiking around and come across some granular, spring snow to dump down you friends's backs.

ABQConvict

Last edited by ABQConvict; 05-17-2008 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: removing obtuse contractions

Old 05-17-2008, 10:25 PM

I hiked partially up the La Luz today. It started out by raining (that's o.k.), but then we had sleet/hail! Fortunately, I was wearing a hat, but the rest of my body was being pelted by ice. Ouch! Then, the brim of my hat got filled up with ice, and my hat became very cold. The sun later came out, and I got dried out, so I don't think I'll be getting pneumonia or anything. I had brought a down vest & wool hat, because you are supposed to be prepared for "anything" up there, but I didn't bring a raincoat.

We stopped and talked to some people who were on their way down. They said that they had been snowed on up there toward the top. I could see a little bit of snow on the rocks up toward the top. We went about 3 miles (one way). It was absolutely gorgeous. Wow! We will definitely be back.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:52 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,657 times
Yup, the La Luz is gorgeous. Every single mile is different from the previous, it is truly spectacular. The switchbacks are so fun everytime you reach a new one. I will warn you, the snow at the top can be treacherous. I have been up there times when it is so packed that it is pretty much as slick as ice and you have a hundred foot drop off right off the trail, so I recommend for people to either wait till later in the year (June), or for people to come very prepared (having hiking sticks and proper boots and such).

Old 05-19-2008, 01:01 PM

intrepid penelopelp continues to explore her new environment:

> I hiked partially up the La Luz today. ...
> ... don't think I'll be getting pneumonia ...

Nope. You don't get it from exposure, just like flu and cold, but many people think you can. It comes from a pathogen. Just being out in the cold *won't* give it to you.

abqsunport adds their good, ... no great advice:

> ... the La Luz is gorgeous. Every single mile is different ... slick
> as ice and you have a hundred foot drop off right off the trail, ...

It *is* amazing. It tends to be really crowded, so if you would rather be lost in your thoughts rather than having to say "hi" every couple of minutes, the La Luz isn't for you. Scenery-wise, it is the standard-bearer, however.

The ice can be tricky. You might think that you'll 'just get past this' and find yourself hundreds of feet along the trail with your only option hundreds of feed of treacherous ice going back and even more going forward. It's best to *not* go on the ice and wait for it to melt later.

I went up the Pino trail yesterday. No ice, but no stamina. I walked the 1.5 hours from my house and then put in another 1.5 hours on the trail. My original goal was to reach the Crest and hike to the Tram and ride down.

It probably would have been close - timewise, but I didn't know if it would take me two hours or three hours to make the Tram. There is the bit with the thick Spruce forest past the Tree Springs junction and I didn't know what the snow levels would be there.

So I 'wussed-out' -- went home -- drank beer - a fine Santa Fe Pale Ale.
Next time, I'll do the whole loop, but I have been lax lately and wasn't in condition.

BTW, penelopelp, I earlier mentioned that Pino meets Tree Springs Trail, but I was wrong. It meets Cienega Canyon Trail.

In any case (EnjoyEP, GregW, and other non-locals, the weather was fine (80's), a nice breeze, beautiful nice people all along the trail (but less than on the La Luz) and the Aspen are in full leaf. I could spot only the slightest bit of snow on the highest peaks in the directions that faced South to Pino Canyon. There were lots of flowers of many colors.

The Pino has had a massive bug infestation, so the Spruce are all dead in through Pino Canyon. Some years later, this will be a major source of Aspen color.

ObInstructions:
Pino Trail is accessed via the Ellena Gallegos picnic area via clearly marked signage.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:01 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,713,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
In any case (EnjoyEP, GregW, and other non-locals, the weather was fine (80's), a nice breeze,
I see that today and tomorrow are ABQ's first forrays of the year into the 90s temps-wise. Actually some nice blasts of afternoon heat?

Here in MKE today? 53 and cloudy / windy.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 PM

Mortimer, I didn't really think I'd get pneumonia. I was just glad that I dried out. I'm not too fond of being cold. Actually, it's probably my least favorite thing on the planet.

The La Luz wasn't all that packed Saturday evening. I planned on avoiding the crowd, and hiking the Piedra Lisa, but I couldn't figure out how to get to that trail. It seemed easier to just follow the signs to the La Luz. We ended up lucking out. It wasn't all that crowded, probably because it was late, and also because it had rained/hailed.

We passed a guy who said that he had hiked past that radio towers, to the tram, and then back down the La Luz. He looked awfully tired. You probably made the right decision by avoiding the long hike and going for the ale.

So, those spruce are all dead? I was trying to figure out whether they had just not leafed out yet, or if they had been destroyed by the bugs.

EnjoyEP, it was nice and warm today. It didn't feel like 90 to me, but of course, I'm used to all that humidity. We did run the swam cooler a bit today, and it made it nice & pleasant.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
This posted in 4 pt type. See below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque