Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 01:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
You're still doing it wrong. The Manzanos start at Tijeras canyon which is where I-40 runs between the ranges. You're counting part of the Manzanos as being the Sandias, which is incorrect.
Tijeras Canyon is the demarcation? How do you know this?
My understanding of the demarcation is the middle point between where the Sandias slope down and where the Manzano's slope down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 02:26 PM

192 posts, read 256,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Tijeras Canyon is the demarcation? How do you know this?
My understanding of the demarcation is the middle point between where the Sandias slope down and where the Manzano's slope down.
Just look it up.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:04 PM

5,034 posts, read 7,414,809 times
The northern end of the Manzanos is known as the Manzanita Mountains, that stretch from the Manzanos proper to I-40. They are lower elevation than both the Sandias and Manzanos. Usually they are included in the Manzano Mountains and are not part of the Sandias.

The Sandia Crest Trail: 26 miles (a 2-day hike according to my trail guide)
Manzano Crest Trail: 29 miles (2-3 days according to my guide)

Old 07-17-2019, 07:05 PM

From Wikipedia:

"Tijeras Canyon (sometimes also referred to as Tijeras Pass) is a prominent canyon in the central part of the U.S. state of New Mexico. It separates the Sandia Mountains to the north from the Manzano Mountains to the south."

Old 07-18-2019, 08:04 AM

I always assumed it was a half-way point between where the Sandias slope down on their southern end and the Manzanos slope down on their northern end. When you're looking at these mountains their outline is obvious. But if you're calculating it all the way to I-40, yeah that's a different ballgame, you're basically just arbitrarily choosing some boundary that doesn't correspond to the outline. There's nothing but low hills for 10 or 15 miles between these outlines so the better choice would be a halfway point.

What's telling is the fact that, according to a couple posts up, ridge (crest) trails are about equal length.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I always assumed it was a half-way point between where the Sandias slope down on their southern end and the Manzanos slope down on their northern end. When you're looking at these mountains their outline is obvious. But if you're calculating it all the way to I-40, yeah that's a different ballgame, you're basically just arbitrarily choosing some boundary that doesn't correspond to the outline. There's nothing but low hills for 10 or 15 miles between these outlines so the better choice would be a halfway point.
You "assumed." As in many other threads in this forum you make a lot of assumptions and are proven wrong over and over. You think since you grew up in the South Valley that you know the facts, but you only have many assumptions that are incorrect. You are the only one "assuming" the arbitrary boundary at an imaginary halfway point you described. That's not anyone else's definition of the boundary between the Sandias and Manzanos. You can't just take half of the Manzanitas and say they're part of the Sandias. Others have provided objective sources for their demarcations but you ignore all that and only double down on your wrong-headed subjective "assumptions". You're not convincing anybody. Geography matters.

Old 07-18-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
You "assumed." As in many other threads in this forum you make a lot of assumptions and are proven wrong over and over. You think since you grew up in the South Valley that you know the facts,
It's so typical for outsiders to come in and think they know better than locals. You guys need to give all that a rest like you "know better than us native New Mexicans" about our own state.

Ask any of us (apparently of which I'm the only one here) - if there are any others please chime in - what are the Manzanos and what are the Sandias and they're going to point to the obvious outline of each mountain as viewed from a distance and say "that's the mountain". Nobody except "Wikipedia" is going to tell you the Manzanos stretch all the way to Tijeras canyon. Are there even any trails in the so-called "Manzanitas"? You guys are trying to say the Manzanos are three times as long as the Sandias.... then why are the ridge trails the same length?

Well, the ridge trails are the same length because the mountains are the same length.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:56 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
It's so typical for outsiders to come in and think they know better than locals. You guys need to give all that a rest like you "know better than us native New Mexicans" about our own state.

Ask any of us (apparently of which I'm the only one here) - if there are any others please chime in - what are the Manzanos and what are the Sandias and they're going to point to the obvious outline of each mountain as viewed from a distance and say "that's the mountain". Nobody except "Wikipedia" is going to tell you the Manzanos stretch all the way to Tijeras canyon. Are there even any trails in the so-called "Manzanitas"? You guys are trying to say the Manzanos are three times as long as the Sandias.... then why are the ridge trails the same length?

Well, the ridge trails are the same length because the mountains are the same length.
Outsiders?

aries63 appears to have been here longer than you were ever were. You departed years ago to move to California. What makes you the "expert" about La Luz Trail. It appears aries63 has traveled La Luz Trail many times more than you, and aries63 has even provided photo's!

"what are the Manzanos and what are the Sandias" are well documented, you just to not believe the documentation and/or the evidence.

My wife and I have walked a brief part of the La Luz Trail over 15 years ago with visiting friends. We have now been in New Mexico continuously for the past 20 years. My first visit to New Mexico was over 40 years ago, several/many times as an Army Soldier, at White Sands, Holoman, Kirtland, Los Alamos and nearby Fort Bliss, McGregor Range, Fort Huachuca, etc....

Your flapping jaws, trolling and rudeness has become boring...

Old 07-19-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
aries63 appears to have been here longer than you were ever were.
How many years has aries63 lived in NM?
How many years have I lived in NM?
Quote:
You departed years ago to move to California.
How many years ago did I depart?
Quote:
What makes you the "expert" about La Luz Trail.
I'm an outdoorsman. I grew up in Albq. I've hiked both sides of both mountains many times during my life. My dad started taking me out to hike when I was a kid.
Quote:
It appears aries63 has traveled La Luz Trail many times more than you
How many times has he hiked the La Luz?
How many times have I hiked the La Luz?
Quote:
, and aries63 has even provided photo's!
Look back a few posts, I provided photos.
Quote:
"what are the Manzanos and what are the Sandias" are well documented, you just to not believe the documentation and/or the evidence.
Correct. This is the crux of the matter. I don't believe the documentation. I am quite familiar with both mountains. Nobody can come to me saying "the Mazanos are three times bigger than the Sandias."

Last edited by 80skeys; 07-19-2019 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-19-2019, 02:00 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,477,278 times
Quote:
I don't believe the documentation. I am quite familiar with both mountains. Nobody can come to me saying "the Mazanos are three times bigger than the Sandias."
Some people believe the earth is flat, because to them it looks that way. They don't believe the documentation. They are quite familiar with the earth. So they want to tell the rest of us the earth is flat.

This doesn't make them right, no matter how many times and how loudly they yell this. You are no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque