Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM

53 posts, read 162,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysgal View Post
When I look at the map, I have sort of been using Albuquerque Academy as a reference point--perhaps areas east and north of there?
Yeah, that's about where the high priced homes really kick in. Continue East and north if you would like to pay more. The NE Heights is not a hiding place from crime and violence. The very first night I moved in to a fine Far NE Heights neighborhood (1991), my car and garage were broken into and they stole several large moving boxes which we hadn't yet unpacked.

On Monday La Cueva High was locked down in a SWAT situation because a student was reported to be waving a gun.

Prestigious Albuquerque Academy has a reputation as the NE Heights bastion of drug use and sales by affluent teenagers (that info from my own children and Academy grads who worked for me).

Please don't drink the NE Heights KoolAid until you have least toured the neighborhoods of the NW Heights, Paradise Hills and Rio Rancho.

Last edited by ChasP505; 04-30-2008 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
There is an article from USA Today on the Albuquerque real estate situation:
Here's a report in PDF format:

http://www.cblegacy.com/includex/pdf/coldwellbankerlegacymarketreport.pdf (broken link)

Old 04-30-2008, 03:45 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,960,330 times
There is an article in today's Business section of the Albuquerque Journal which is headlined: "Home Slump Not Hitting N.M. as Hard: Market Expected to Rebound"
And begins: The Albuquerque metro area appears to be sidestepping the worst of the national housing slump."
....."construction will pick up again, likely in the second half of the year"...

Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 PM

With all this discussion of real estate, neighborhoods, schools, etc., with varying opinions, and conflicting "facts", I am curious to find out what your reference points are.

As for me, I helped my 4 children progress from elementary school through high school in 3 different APS districts, east and west sides. 2 of these kids are full-time students at UNM.

I have been a NM Licensed real estate agent since 1996, currently inactive, but I compile monthly market statistics for use by agents.

Last edited by ChasP505; 04-30-2008 at 05:28 PM..

Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,075,198 times
raysgal is selling:

> ... If we can't sell what we already have we might end up renting for a long time!

Don't let that happen.

Before you move have your selling realtor take you through some comps in your area. Price your house so that it is the best deal in the area.

It's worth what it's worth and it's worth what the comps are worth.
It's not worth what you want out of it or what your mortgage is, etc.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It's worth what it's worth and it's worth what the comps are worth.
It's not worth what you want out of it or what your mortgage is, etc.
One of the best posts I've read on this forum! Thanks Mortimer!

Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM

286 posts, read 1,321,827 times
Raysgal, good luck with the move and welcome to NM. If you want to get an idea of what home prices are like in the ABQ area, the ABQ MLS has a very good public search window. Check out Greater Albuquerque Association of REALTORS® - Greater Albuquerque Area Homes for Sale. This website has current listings in MLS, so you'll be able to look at properties around the metro area.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
The house featured as the "highest-altitude house in Albuquerque" is on Paseo del Puma, NE which is off the Sunset Canyon Dr, NE and Cedarbrook Ave, NE area at the terminus of Montgomery. It's a trophy house, but nothing like the monstrosity just under it. It's a realy eyesore from the Embudito trailhead.
Ahh, my friends and I refer to that as the "Jabba the Hutt house". Frankly, it looks like it is going to fall off that perch someday soon; or a giant boulder is going to come down the slope at it. It also has a perilously steep driveway but I suppose a house like that has a heated driveway so you can use it in winter.

ABQConvict

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Ahh, my friends and I refer to that as the "Jabba the Hutt house". Frankly, it looks like it is going to fall off that perch someday soon; or a giant boulder is going to come down the slope at it. It also has a perilously steep driveway but I suppose a house like that has a heated driveway so you can use it in winter.

ABQConvict
When I was still riding racing bikes, that home was a favorite training target for racing cyclists with its extremely steep, high altitude roads.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasP505 View Post
On Monday La Cueva High was locked down in a SWAT situation because a student was reported to be waving a gun.

Please don't drink the NE Heights KoolAid until you have least toured the neighborhoods of the NW Heights, Paradise Hills and Rio Rancho.
Yes, but that gun turned out to be cardboard that was made for a class project. Ironically the day after, Rio Grande actually had a person with a gun that was simply apprehended by school security. So La Cueva thought they saw the gun and called swat. Rio Grande actually saw a gun, and called no one. The moral of the story I learned was that these Northeast Heights homes are so unused to guns and violence that they turned nothing into a swat situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque