Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2021, 07:57 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
I like that idea. But nowhere in NM should be building anything without knowing exactly where the water allotment is coming from. NM is ignoring it's increasing water shortages. The acquifers are drying up as we speak, and they are not being replenished.
I also don't think it is wise to try to move to NM without a large enough retirement income or a job. There's no jobs to be had. People moving there without jobs may be the homeless on the streets.
I myself may move to ABQ, but I have my financials figured out.

Worse, many if not most of the people who want to come retire in NM also want to work. They may not absolutely have to, but people who don't have to work and just want to have the edge over people who need to work when it comes to getting jobs. So its a double whammy. They come in with outside money buying houses and driving prices up and they take jobs away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 11:39 AM

30 posts, read 56,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I think you need to read what the analysts are saying about the 2020 census results and the outlook for the future. It was not a discussion of impending boom.
Exactly. ABQ is going nowhere.

Old 07-06-2021, 06:06 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Worse, many if not most of the people who want to come retire in NM also want to work. They may not absolutely have to, but people who don't have to work and just want to have the edge over people who need to work when it comes to getting jobs. So its a double whammy. They come in with outside money buying houses and driving prices up and they take jobs away.
They also consume more hence expanding the economy and create more jobs. ABQ is up and coming now that it's been discovered by others.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
They also consume more hence expanding the economy and create more jobs. ABQ is up and coming now that it's been discovered by others.
Consumer economy is the problem not the solution.

Old 07-06-2021, 09:46 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Consumer economy is the problem not the solution.
Why is it a problem?

Old 07-07-2021, 08:18 AM

282 posts, read 216,949 times
Albuquerque didn't grow much for most of the last decade, but it has been accelerating in growth in the last few years. The Census numbers show that, just dig into the details and don't just pay attention to the headlines. All signs also point to a boom in jobs, and with that will come a boom in population. Homebuilding is reaching levels not seen since before the Great Recession. Thousands of apartments are either recently completed, under construction or planned. Thousands of jobs have been created or announced since 2018. Intel, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook, etc. have announced massive expansions in the metro area over just the last few months. That goes along with dozens of other significant jobs announcements and expansions. Saying that Albuquerque is going nowhere is quite absurd. Growth signs are all around us.

Old 08-13-2021, 05:31 AM

224 posts, read 164,419 times
Seeing how expensive an area can get that “becomes a hot spot” I think more and more people either get priced out of there hometown or city or just get tired of traffic/not saving up as much due to higher rent/ new people moving to an area causing aggravation all around, more people will start looking at lesser known spots or just cheaper areas. My problem with NM, a state I have loved with visiting, is I don’t feel I could actually live with culture and politics that have plagued that state. There is no excuse why NM can’t be at “steady growth” when Arizona and Texas are BOOMING and for crying out loud Idaho and Utah are overcrowding, but NM loses people. Or at best stays same. Just shows how poorly state is being run, I don’t wanna move there with no or ****ty jobs(maybe ABQ is better but the exception) also crime rate there is one of the highest and politicians might be worst overall there compared to anywhere else, besides maybe Cali and NY…. Throw in my state of NJ where they would tax air if they could get away with it.

Point being, I TRY and convince myself that NM would work out for me but I just can’t do it.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:23 AM

201 posts, read 291,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Point being, I TRY and convince myself that NM would work out for me but I just can’t do it.
Good to hear. We won't miss ya!

Old 08-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Seeing how expensive an area can get that “becomes a hot spot” I think more and more people either get priced out of there hometown or city or just get tired of traffic/not saving up as much due to higher rent/ new people moving to an area causing aggravation all around, more people will start looking at lesser known spots or just cheaper areas. My problem with NM, a state I have loved with visiting, is I don’t feel I could actually live with culture and politics that have plagued that state. There is no excuse why NM can’t be at “steady growth” when Arizona and Texas are BOOMING and for crying out loud Idaho and Utah are overcrowding, but NM loses people. Or at best stays same. Just shows how poorly state is being run, I don’t wanna move there with no or ****ty jobs(maybe ABQ is better but the exception) also crime rate there is one of the highest and politicians might be worst overall there compared to anywhere else, besides maybe Cali and NY…. Throw in my state of NJ where they would tax air if they could get away with it.

Enjoy your time elsewhere. I suggest AZ, UT or TX since those places have the growth you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: