U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 07:26 PM

7,026 posts, read 10,896,604 times

Advertisements

Evening! Wife and I are debating a NM/AZ trip for a coupla of weeks in mid-November. We love hitting the flea markets...I presume the one at the state fairgrounds is still good, but will it be open next month. I know it's going to be cooler weather, so we're not sure what to expect. We much prefer the various markets to stores/shops, where we can interact with the folks more.
Input would be appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2021, 08:10 AM

Hmmm....no input?

Old 11-01-2021, 12:14 PM

17,932 posts, read 22,330,767 times
The Flea Market has onsite parking for $7 a car (includes admission) or $2 for walk ups. The best entrance is gate 3 on San Pedro.

It is open Sat/Sun from 7am - 3pm, and I alway found the best time was from about 9am to 1pm since many vendors were slow to set up, and some vendors close up early if they are not selling.

In mid November, the weather should be fine if a bit brisk so you will want a jacket and maybe even gloves/hat/scarf if it is particularly blustery, early AM, or we are in a cold snap, but it is possible that it could warm up enought that a simple long sleeved shirt of heavier material is enough. November weather can be variable, so be prepared.

Old 11-01-2021, 12:41 PM

Many thanks - especially on the attendance time window! That's about what I was expecting on the weather - it's what we so often see here at home, but I wanted to get confirmation. Many thanks!!

While on the subject....any place we might otherwise miss that we shouldn't?

Old 11-02-2021, 11:53 AM

Well, in Albuquerque I think it is really worth it to take the tram to the top of the mountain for the spectacular views. And of course to eat some real New Mexican food.

A (very) short list of authentic New Mexican restaurants would be Mary & Tito's, Church St. Cafe (in a 17th century adobe), Duran's Pharmacy (a classic mid-century pharmacy with excellent New Mexican restaurant attached), and others. If you are not familiar with New Mexican food, it has dishes common to northern Mexican food, but with our own chile sauces, referred to as "red" and "green" which you specify as in, "I'll have the chicken enchiladas with green." You can also order your food smothered in both red and green which is called "christmas" as in, "I'll have a breakfast burrito, christmas." Yes, that sounds weird to say, but no one will blink. And don't be afraid to ask for recommendations. New Mexicans are very proud of their local food traditions.'' (And if you don't like hot food, you can always order your red or green on the side, but give it a try. at least dip your fork in the chile before stabbing at your bites).

Other core traditional dishes besides enchiladas are chile rellenos (chile peppers stuffed with cheese and battered, smothered in the aformentioned red or green, carne adovada (fork tender pork shoulder long and slow cooked in red chile sauce, and of course massive breakfast burritos, also smothered in chile. The Frontier restaurant makes a damn good one in my opinion. Mmany NM restaurants also have a selection of Tex-Mex menu items such as crunchy tacos and fajitas, but I would skip them if you are looking for the more authentic cuisine, and you can get them outside of New Mexico.

Santa Fe is certainly worth a day as well for the historic architecture around the plaza, the cathedral and Loretto chapel, historical and art museums, and it is all in a compact central area of the town, so easy to do. Santa Fe is at its best in the fall and winter in my opinion. Many of the restaurants in the little courtyards around the plaza have little adobe fireplaces and it is very cozy. Hygge in the Southwest.

Finally, if you want to do a drive into the mountains, consider driving up to the Valle Grande (Valles Caldera) in the Jemez Mountains. It is about a 1.5 hour drive that takes you from the city, through the desert into a red rock canyon with a nice little stream, through the tiny village of Jemez Springs (nice stop for lunch in an old timey saloon) then up onto a vast forested sub-alpine plateau with an immense, multi square mile high country meadow, the Valles Caldera which was the focal point of an ancient super volcano.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 11-02-2021 at 12:16 PM..

Old 11-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Thanks, ABQConvict! We've been coming to the area for about 20 years now, but this will be the first time this late in the year, and as with anything else, there's always places you miss! You mentioned several that sound like they're worth exploring.

As far as "hot" foods....I grew up in our family-owned hardware store with an old-school Mexican restaurant next door. I developed a pretty good reputation for my love of all things hot/spicy there! I've previously enjoyed the NM cuisine with the peppers so prominently used, and love it (my wife, not so much...lol) She's a real trooper, though and generally suffers through my varied meals while she explores the milder Tex-Mex offerings they offer. And I learned long ago to ask for recommendations, especially in the smaller cafe/restaurants - many have dishes that they have perfected over the years!!

Honestly, we've pretty much "Santa Fe'd" as much as we care to....we generally visit with various artisan's on the reservations we've come to know over the years. We toured out there on our motorcycle pulling a trailer for many years, and always had people gathering around to check it out. Both my wife and I love meeting people, and it's worked much to our benefit, as we found them to be as kind (or kinder) than we were, which often resulted in being invited to their homes and being introduced to various artisan's that we otherwise would never have met. In our experience, the people are warm and welcoming as long as you are respectful and observe their traditions.

Thanks again - MUCH appreciated!

Old 11-03-2021, 12:13 PM

Have a good trip!

Old 11-03-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Have a good trip!
Thanks - it's always an adventure!

Old 11-04-2021, 11:53 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,186,254 times
I miss the Flea Market next to the Santa Fe Opera. Got some really nice stuff there.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I miss the Flea Market next to the Santa Fe Opera. Got some really nice stuff there.
We really enjoyed the one north of town off Flea Market Rd. The place they relocated to further up the road just wasn't the same, IMO. Maybe it'll bounce back in a few more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque